be quiet!:Red Ryzen(1600) Vs Blue Core (8400) - GTX 1070 SLi...?

Soldato
Morning all!

with coffee lake out and seeing some of the early Intel slides of the 8400 having the best gains out of the products thought that would be a killer chip on a budget z370 board.

Since I quote a long with others either Gigabytes B350 Gaming 3 or B350 Strix F - with Vulcan 3000HZ ram and either ryzen 1200/1400/1600 - wanted to put my month were my mouth is and pit it against 8400 version using the same ram and Similar Spec board/Priced board so....... hence the name Red Vs Blue- although some know it from the Halo Rooster series :D

Both cases will be wrapped up in this - yes not so budget as P300 or Kolink case but should keep owners happy

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £306.15
(includes shipping: £12.30)

Im half tempted to give both stock coolers a try as well- haven't used the Wraith spire personally but know it has a good rep- and wonder if intel have stepped up their game!

Ryzen Core budget Build - non sale price is £116 for the board and £189 for the cpu

Total: £451.47
(includes shipping: £10.50)

Other boards to comment on is the B350 Strix F - both work with that ram kit just fine

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...ocket-am4-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-69v-as.html

Intel Core budget Build - Shame price of the board went up from £109 odd i think within the first hour launch window

Total: £479.43
(includes shipping: £10.50)

also seems ASRock Pro 4 has gotten a good nod hitting 5gz on the bigger chips

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asro...cket-1151-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-15p-ak.html

I might have 8 Pack 3600hz ram kit to test out but I Have my own corsair Dominator 3600hz i can slap in to test ram overclocking on the Z370.
We all know that intel will be slow to ship out the B360 chipset for boards- why no idea but mem speed will be locked so will be nice to see if its worth getting a budget z370 to see if 3200 kit that could potentially be clocked to 4000hz adds Performance in games over default speed of B360 :D

If it didnt have my kids- would have ordered these for more fun !

Total: £209.88
(includes shipping: £9.90)

Associate
Soldato
OP
https://youtu.be/d3mj6doJyIM

Another review but with ~3000mhz used. As expected, Ryzen wins productivity, but 8400 in 1080p games. The gap reduces above 1080, but the vast majority of people are still on 1080p so those are the most relevant results.

yeah , seems systems i've spec'd for people have included RX card and 1080p 144hz freesync monitor as the price of them is just too good!

I've got the pro version for 3D Mark and 1440p monitor so should help with 1080p vs 1440p , but yeah 1080p is the sweet spot

Unfortunately never streamed and never intend to- but would be interesting to try to see how they do against each other! gamersnexus 7700k vs 1700 was such a good piece and sure helped linking that to pending streamers on here

Associate
Shall be interesting to see these machines built and seeing the pros and cons. It will also be great to see what tweaks you can make to get them extra gains as both systems seem to be at a budget where people ask for a build and these get spec’d

Soldato
OP
Shall be interesting to see these machines built and seeing the pros and cons. It will also be great to see what tweaks you can make to get them extra gains as both systems seem to be at a budget where people ask for a build and these get spec’d

saw a few reviews with the 8400- seems bios tweaks are need - Aorus Gaming board had the CPU boosting to 3.8ghz across all cores anyways but seems blck clocking my work- although these boards dont have them :(

actually never built in a bequiet case! although have used their fans and AIO's quite a bit :D

seem some German design in motion :D

Associate
saw a few reviews with the 8400- seems bios tweaks are need - Aorus Gaming board had the CPU boosting to 3.8ghz across all cores anyways but seems blck clocking my work- although these boards dont have them :(

actually never built in a bequiet case! although have used their fans and AIO's quite a bit :D

seem some German design in motion :D

To be honest I have not really got into overclocking my 4770k is stock, I could have been sat on a golden chip for years and not known :eek:

Soldato
Following this with great interest...any idea on when they will be built? Hoping to put an order in next week some time!

Soldato
OP
Following this with great interest...any idea on when they will be built? Hoping to put an order in next week some time!

might be two weeks :(
Have a ton of over time from work which I can do at home which is to good to miss out on
Did manage to find and order Red version of the Vulcan Ram so will have one to match the Gaming 3 and the silver one from here to match the HD3 :D

I think the be quiet! gear arrives next week Tuesday - really looking forward to seeing the case

Soldato
OP
No chance of a sneaky test bench? :D

wife has got some fancy desk shelves to make her desk - which i will half use more opened space - and also shipping box came to send of PC to friend - so will have the space- might be able to use my Parvum build to power up the mobo if its the mobo early next week since it doesn't need the GPU- as thats got a water block with no water hahaha
I do have my Corsair 3600hz dominator I guess I could use as a stop gap - think i managed 3800 with that :D

Soldato
Looking at recent benchmarks I think the 8400 is the way to go for 100% gaming and being honest I can see it keeping me happy for the next 4 - 5 years.

Just need to get my hands on one!

Soldato
OP
Looking at recent benchmarks I think the 8400 is the way to go for 100% gaming and being honest I can see it keeping me happy for the next 4 - 5 years.

Just need to get my hands on one!

I also have a 8600k, was in to minds of returning it to OCUK- but will see if my friend want to drop the extra £110 on it ...... dont think he will other wise can off shoot the 8400 :D
but im guessing they'll be stock by then

Soldato
Any reason why you went the gigabyte instead of Strix? Just down to price?

I have spec'd an 8400 build with the following board: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F GAMING

Just think it looks better!

Soldato
OP
Any reason why you went the gigabyte instead of Strix? Just down to price?

I have spec'd an 8400 build with the following board: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F GAMING

Just think it looks better!

I have an account with distributor and was cheaper haha - but also wanted to keep it a fair level fight - plus if anything smokes i can post it down south to gigabyte RMA haha *touch wood*
gutted i sold my delidder tool- doesn't need it but would be fun to try it out on the 8400 hahaha

Back
Top Bottom