be quiet!:Red Ryzen(1600) Vs Blue Core (8400) - GTX 1070 SLi...?

Soldato
OP
Excellent! So is that all the parts you have been waiting for now then?

My CPU, Ram & SSD should be arriving today so I can be building up my Ryzen system today :)

Boards , K3 got delayed (saw they came into OCUK and then sold out on the first day- so missed the chance to jump across) :(

Get a build log on the go :D Which parts did you go for , recall your slapping in a 1600 which should be tasty :D

some reason have a burning urge in my loins to try out the 1500x to see how the cashe effects over the 1400 but dont think i'd have the system long enough to try out

Soldato
Boards , K3 got delayed (saw they came into OCUK and then sold out on the first day- so missed the chance to jump across) :(

Get a build log on the go :D Which parts did you go for , recall your slapping in a 1600 which should be tasty :D

some reason have a burning urge in my loins to try out the 1500x to see how the cashe effects over the 1400 but dont think i'd have the system long enough to try out

It would be the boards holding things up wouldn't it!

Went for 1600, 16gb Teamgroup 3200 Nighthawk RGB, Gaming 3 and a new SSD.

Also decided to go a little off piste with the case and stumped up for a CoolerMaster Masterbox Lite 5, RGB case...Not seen many, if any on here so thought I would give it a go. Seemed excellent value for a case with Tempered Glass and including 3 RGB fans which retail at around £15 each.

Soldato
OP
It would be the boards holding things up wouldn't it!

Went for 1600, 16gb Teamgroup 3200 Nighthawk RGB, Gaming 3 and a new SSD.

Also decided to go a little off piste with the case and stumped up for a CoolerMaster Masterbox Lite 5, RGB case...Not seen many, if any on here so thought I would give it a go. Seemed excellent value for a case with Tempered Glass and including 3 RGB fans which retail at around £15 each.

haha, didnt help with being messed around so much for the red coloured ram! but least allowed me to grab the 8 Pack version- will try on the Gaming 3 aswell to see if 3333hz can be hit on it like the Strix and if any performance gains to be had - might grab copy of Auto Cad from work and borrow some rendering products off a thread that take about 24 Hours to render.

I believe you can daisy thoughts RGB fans together and plug them directly into the mother board RGB header? or am i think of another coolermaster fan ?

Soldato
haha, didnt help with being messed around so much for the red coloured ram! but least allowed me to grab the 8 Pack version- will try on the Gaming 3 aswell to see if 3333hz can be hit on it like the Strix and if any performance gains to be had - might grab copy of Auto Cad from work and borrow some rendering products off a thread that take about 24 Hours to render.

I believe you can daisy thoughts RGB fans together and plug them directly into the mother board RGB header? or am i think of another coolermaster fan ?

Yeah would be interested to see...if I am honest not looked into anything to do with the overclock as yet. Main thing for today is to get the thing built and windows installed.

Regarding the fans, again not even had chance to look into it...if they can be daisy chained great! I had a sudden thought this morning about how I will be fitting them. Will do a little log anyway including unboxing when I have everything.

DPD are due between 11.32 - 12.32 today so not much longer to wait!

Soldato
OP
Yeah would be interested to see...if I am honest not looked into anything to do with the overclock as yet. Main thing for today is to get the thing built and windows installed.

Regarding the fans, again not even had chance to look into it...if they can be daisy chained great! I had a sudden thought this morning about how I will be fitting them. Will do a little log anyway including unboxing when I have everything.

DPD are due between 11.32 - 12.32 today so not much longer to wait!

Having latest build version of Windows helps. I have one of the First retail Build versions of Win 10 Pro- and trying to get Ryzen builds to update is an absolute mission! keep forgetting to do an ISO USB version of when I get it to Latest build version but keep forgetting haha

which reminds me- might have to do before and after fall testing :D

if the Fans are the MasterFan Pro RGB, then set the fans to RGB mode and plug into the RGB header on the board :) I think you might need a Y- Split

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/xspc-rgb-4pin-splitter-cable-wc-43h-xs.html

google can find bigger ones- then again not sure if you got the box package and is the box can connect to the Board

Soldato
Having latest build version of Windows helps. I have one of the First retail Build versions of Win 10 Pro- and trying to get Ryzen builds to update is an absolute mission! keep forgetting to do an ISO USB version of when I get it to Latest build version but keep forgetting haha

which reminds me- might have to do before and after fall testing :D

if the Fans are the MasterFan Pro RGB, then set the fans to RGB mode and plug into the RGB header on the board :) I think you might need a Y- Split

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/xspc-rgb-4pin-splitter-cable-wc-43h-xs.html

google can find bigger ones- then again not sure if you got the box package and is the box can connect to the Board

I have just created a USB media stick using the creation tool...I assume this includes all updates excluding the recent 'fall' update?

Thanks for the link, will have a look once things are out the boxes etc.

Soldato
OP
I have just created a USB media stick using the creation tool...I assume this includes all updates excluding the recent 'fall' update?

Thanks for the link, will have a look once things are out the boxes etc.

i think the Tools creates it based on the Version that PC has ? Maybe someone can comment on that- as if i create a ISO from my Pro edition it will only produce a Pro version - might take some reading

Soldato
i think the Tools creates it based on the Version that PC has ? Maybe someone can comment on that- as if i create a ISO from my Pro edition it will only produce a Pro version - might take some reading

I have created one, will just hope for the best! Worst case is I need to speak with customer services.

Soldato
OP
Speed built last night in under 2 hours :D Ali g with resettling two children into bed

GKd4tJr.jpg

1tIk01P.jpg

ezM9l8A.jpg

Will take some better pics when I can, still to connect Phanteks Halos and data cables then give it a fire up, also need to install the Slim Rock CPU cooler as well , forgot where I out the mounting so just stuck on intels one for time being :)

Soldato
Getting there!

The intel stock cooler really is ugly mind!

Just ordered a Cryorig H7 for my 1600, although I can get to 3.7ghz no problem with the stock cooler it produces a buzz sound which is irritating me! For the sake of £40 It will give me a much quieter experience and also maybe allow me to overclock slightly more if I wanted.

Soldato
OP
Getting there!

The intel stock cooler really is ugly mind!

Just ordered a Cryorig H7 for my 1600, although I can get to 3.7ghz no problem with the stock cooler it produces a buzz sound which is irritating me! For the sake of £40 It will give me a much quieter experience and also maybe allow me to overclock slightly more if I wanted.

indeed, i will have to find the mounting kit. i used it when I tried alphacools waterblock with keeping the aorus rgb backplate and didnt want to do it all water if it didn't work. should wrap up the whole bequiet feel to the build :D and look a lot nicer!
will work with the mATX version of the board for the time being till atx version comes back in stock - shame as had all the halo rings set and ready

Soldato
OP
Quick test to see if it power up !

w7TXHCw.jpg

ArApAQm.jpg

Rb2VLWV.jpg

xeFZbxO.jpg

TmpFzCj.jpg

Again, poor pics from phone, if I get a chance will upload the cam shots .
Shame this board didn't have the lighting strip on the side :(

Soldato
OP
Installed Slim Rock last night and every very briefly booted up with Bois editing to Turbo boost to have two scores at 4ghz , but had to knock it off before testing .

Had op today and more work was done then thought was might be a while till I can crack on with getting the most out of the i5 8400 and getting Ryzen Vs Coffee battle going .
Apologies as know a few wanted to see a nice head to head . Just listening to my mother in law fail at putting my son to sleep , killing me so here's some phone pics, have better ones but will load when I can .

yON3g0H.jpg

VtPUE7I.jpg

BEfByBc.jpg

3aqpm1g.jpg

OgXQqFk.jpg

Love this cooler , needs a second , though over kill !

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £39.95
(includes shipping: £0.00)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
really not having much luck with these builds , intel Aorus board has a broken LAN port so can't update the early windows version i have so, RMA replacement is incoming :(

did manage to upload better pics of the cooler though :)

ncjhXSm.jpg

59oMl8y.jpg

a8EhLlZ.jpg

wCSW7H3.jpg

so vega comes out and goes into the Ryzen build. currently updating windows and then being some benchmarks , hopefully intel board gets to me next week
Also eiswolf air for vega should be inbound in just over a weeks time!

ETwKuJL.jpg

RjF4BQm.jpg

c9wA6vf.jpg

YRdr3X8.jpg

GSLCfJZ.jpg

He6R6zx.jpg

8n9F1rq.jpg

mzOeTUe.jpg

J6pwHWb.jpg

KxdlnOo.jpg

once updated and benching, should be able to replace the Vulcan 3000hz with 3200 8 pack version to show any gaming performance changes and then see if i can push the ram to 3333/3466hz :)

Quick bench with all defualt settings and shipping bios

PMbejwj.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
benches
All running Vega 56 at Turbo mode and Ryzen 1600 3.9Ghz and 3000hz ram

Seems loading the screen prints to Imgur was useless :/ least I have it on record for when I do the Intel system .

API Test

bcTgOOC.jpg

TimeSpy 1080p/4k

UuRoWMr.jpg
ZU4aRWQ.jpg
4VSq9iB.jpg
sC2ACNX.jpg

FireStrike 1080p/4k

eSPkuSu.jpg
vCk8RmQ.jpg
CMa61gc.jpg
oNZ3wE1.jpg

Ashes of singularity + Escalation 1080p DX11/12- ultra settings

gFIqxEM.jpg
Byl9hYz.jpg
ImEpDdC.jpg
8o21sKQ.jpg

Unigine benchmarks 1080p

xbMfzMZ.jpg
lyiraxh.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well, pulled the trigger on G1 1070 Ti for £405... That's if it turns up - really do I use that site but would be interesting if it does go through :)

Should be able to shoot out Vega 56 and 70Ti at least .

Was playing around with Intel build before I had to pack it up for a while, tried upping the voltage to 8600k overclock levels and found out running 1.3v+ sends it shooting to 100c with Intel Xtreme test and others .....
I know I'm using the slim rock , but still a solid cooler with 135 mm fan running at 100%... Handled my 7700k with 4.8Ghz and 1.38v just fine .
Leading me to ask any owners with a 8400, able to pump up for voltage and test it ?

Wondering if this is a reason for shortages with K chips, they are hard to be found on the production line ....
Nice to test this out

Associate
benches
All running Vega 56 at Turbo mode and Ryzen 1600 3.9Ghz and 3000hz ram

Seems loading the screen prints to Imgur was useless :/ least I have it on record for when I do the Intel system .

API Test

bcTgOOC.jpg

TimeSpy 1080p/4k

UuRoWMr.jpg
ZU4aRWQ.jpg
4VSq9iB.jpg
sC2ACNX.jpg

FireStrike 1080p/4k

eSPkuSu.jpg
vCk8RmQ.jpg
CMa61gc.jpg
oNZ3wE1.jpg