Becoming a careers counsellor/advisor?

Consigliere
I'm feeling quite lost at the moment and I've had an idea about re-starting my career in something which I feel may be more 'me'.

I really enjoy meeting new people and throughout my career, I have found myself leaning towards helping and guiding. I studied my degree in Psychology for this reason.

Is there a way for me to re-train to become a careers counsellor? Would I even have a chance with a background of 10 years of senior customer service experience?

Any advice would be great, thank you.

Caporegime
My experience of careers guidance people are either teachers at school who have the role as a secondary responsibility or admin types who work in the careers office at universities and coordinate events, pass on opportunities from employers who have reached out to the university etc...

I guess there are also the former recruiters or HR types who run their own business offering paid advice to people - obs these people have prior experience in recruitment or HR.

An organisation like Morrisby presumably employs some people in a sort of career advice-related role, they do psychometric testing and provide suggestions of careers etc... (we all had to do them at the school I went to) but I wonder, given you yourself are not sure what to do perhaps you'd also be suitable as a customer looking for a career change!

https://www.morrisby.com/career-changers

I'm sometimes skeptical of this stuff but maybe sitting a psychometric/aptitude test and having a bunch of career suggestions presented to you on the basis of that could be worthwhile if you're feeling a bit lost.

I mean, unlike some organisations, it doesn't appear to be particularly expensive, just over £100.

Man of Honour
^I was sceptical of this sort of thing too, at school we had to answer a bunch of questions and then one of those old dot matrix printers spat out this print out of what jobs would be a good fit. The application was called JIGCAL I think.

At the time, I thought this is complete nonsense. I didn't even recognise what one of the 'best fit' jobs was (Actuary).

Over 15 years later, sorting through some old stuff I stumbled across this faded printout, and found that the line of work I'd somehow found myself in was arguably a hybrid of the top 4 jobs it listed out.

Man of Honour
Is it only me that can see the irony of a future careers advisor asking for advice on how to change career? :D

Good luck though :)

Soldato
^I was sceptical of this sort of thing too, at school we had to answer a bunch of questions and then one of those old dot matrix printers spat out this print out of what jobs would be a good fit. The application was called JIGCAL I think.

At the time, I thought this is complete nonsense. I didn't even recognise what one of the 'best fit' jobs was (Actuary).

Over 15 years later, sorting through some old stuff I stumbled across this faded printout, and found that the line of work I'd somehow found myself in was arguably a hybrid of the top 4 jobs it listed out.
*SYSTEMS ANALYST, SYSTEMS ANALYST, SYSTEMS ANALYST*

Back
Top Bottom