Been given a broken bike, worth fixing?

Caporegime
Chain is hanging off, looks like the link is ok, just the rivet has got pushed out?

Also twist gears don't seem to work but cables are loose so I assume they just need the slack taking up, derailer and front one both freely move, rear tyre is missing an inner tube and front one might need replacing too.

The bike is a silver fox fx one.

Soldato
Depends on a few things. If the chain has snapped because it's overly worn then it's probabaly not worth replacing it and thr cog st the back which will have worn along with it/possibly front rings of they appear spikey.

If it has just snapped under a bad gear change then a few quid on a quick link/chain tool to remove the damaged link would be worth it.

Tube is an easy fix and is part of cycling. Front one is probabaly soft from being unloved for so long.

Gear cables will need tughtnend yup, check for damage to the outer cables that could have caused it to go slack.

Soldato
New chain approx a tenner.
New gear cable set about a tenner.
2 new tubes £6-10.
Some chain lube approx £6

So if you know what you're doing then about £36 in parts.

You might need a new cassette too, if it's worn.

Soldato
New chain approx a tenner.
New gear cable set about a tenner.
2 new tubes £6-10.
Some chain lube approx £6

So if you know what you're doing then about £36 in parts.

You might need a new cassette too, if it's worn.

Puncture repair kit £3....

Caporegime
OP
Managed to put the twist grip back together but still unable to get the front derailleur to move, what am I doing wrong? Cable tension is set with the adjustment on the handle bars screwed all the way in. Seems to move freely by hand.

Soldato
Disconnect the cable from the derailleur, hold the end in your hand and twist the shifter. Does it move?

Those cheap twist grip shifters are famously a bit rubbish....

Soldato
Check the derailleur moves freely too whilst the cable is disconnected, it might be seized up, if you can't move it by hand a cable isn't going to move it.

Caporegime
OP
Make sure the cable goes over the top of the nut and the wee tab that stick out. Under the tab will make it tighter to change.
It pulls from above, its just between the washer and deraileur, it's not tucked under the 'ear'.

I think it's just stiff, I checked a deraileur in LBS and although stiff, it didnt seem as bad as mine.

Soldato
Front dérailleurs can be a bit agricultural in operation, it might just be gunked up and or oxidised a bit, causing excessive stiffness.
As above give it a good scrub with GT85 or WD40 and a stiff brush, should free it up a bit.

Back
Top Bottom