Been years since I've used Thermal Paste - what's hot or not nowadays?

Associate
My last 3 coolers have had thermal pads pre-applied, so I've just used that - been what must be 6 years since I've used thermal paste.

Is MX-4 still decent? Hearing about that Grizzly stuff but is it kinda hard to apply? Not too fussed about the absolute best, just decent stuff.

Also, is arcticlean still the go to cleaner? Is it really actually needed? I seem to remember I just used kitchen towel and elbow grease before lol

Soldato
If you don't have an aluminium cooler then "liquid metal" aka galinstan is amazing stuff.

It's literally gallium metal mixed with a few other metals and the whole lot is liquid at room temperature. Conducts heat ridiculously better than any paste.

Like I said no aluminium, it destroys it and also it is electrically conductive so don't get too enthusiastic when dispensing it, needs a tiny amount smeared over the heatspreader.

Alcohol wipes are always good to clean off the cpu.

Associate
OP
If you don't have an aluminium cooler then "liquid metal" aka galinstan is amazing stuff.

It's literally gallium metal mixed with a few other metals and the whole lot is liquid at room temperature. Conducts heat ridiculously better than any paste.

Like I said no aluminium, it destroys it and also it is electrically conductive so don't get too enthusiastic when dispensing it, needs a tiny amount smeared over the heatspreader.

Alcohol wipes are always good to clean off the cpu.

It's a H110i, so copper base.

I don't think I'm too keen "liquid metal" type TIMs to be fair.

Ah, alcohol wipes, good call. I was thinking an Arcticool cleaning set was a bit overkill for what would, hopefully, be 1 usage.

Soldato
Grizzly or Gelid extreme for me. If you find it stiff to apply then just warm the IHS with a hairdryer briefly or place the tube in warm water for a bit before applying.

Associate
Is MX-4 still decent?

Yes. I bought a large tube a couple of years ago. I've used it on my own CPU, my old Graphics card and on the PCs that I build. It might be a degree or two behind some pastes (several more behind liquid metal), but it's reasonably priced and seems to get good reviews.

Back
Top Bottom