beers of the world comp

Soldato
hi all

is this going to be run again, i'd potentially run it if its easy to do. i found it easy to do most of the entries at once, less chance of forgetting weeks like the last time i entered it.

would anyone be interested in the new year?

Soldato
Looks like DJ hasn't been around for a few months either. Although i know he gave up drinking.

Also @silent - I think it's fairly easy to do (bar getting your head around points for duplicate beers), but i imagine it take a few hours a week compiling/uploading.

Does Imgur have a date stamp?

Just wondering if we could upload our own pics by a set time to save on admin, that way we could almost take it in turns to work out points. I.e At Sunday at 8pm we start to post our links. Then we have a deadline of Tuesday evening and we work out the results after that depending on who's posted what.

Soldato
OP
sounds like a few would be keen, i'm thinking in the new year running it, maybe feb. happy to do it and keep a thread alive.

it might be easier if we do it in two halves. everyone submits say 13 at once then 13 wks later another batch. it might be easier then. i wouldn't neccesarily need to post pictures, but if we could upload directly into a post it would be great. i think photobucket charges now

Associate
I'm up for doing it again.

Not sure I'd be keen on doing batches at once though, part of the fun for me when I last did it was researching and then going out to get the one particular beer and then enjoying it on a Friday night after work. By doing it in batches it would feel like I was just stocking up on booze. I liked the photos that people took too as it's good to see the unusual labels.

Last time, it seemed quite easy to get max points each week as long as you went for something really quirky. Even near to the end, there were some people on full points still. I'm not sure if something else could be added to make it harder to get max points each week.

Associate
I’d be up for this again, count me in!
Last time, it seemed quite easy to get max points each week as long as you went for something really quirky. Even near to the end, there were some people on full points still. I'm not sure if something else could be added to make it harder to get max points each week.

I wonder if making the categories a little broader would fix this? A - American, B - Bitter, C - Chocolate etc...Seem to recall last time round the categories were pretty unusual or else very specific. Made it great fun trying to find something, but it usually meant you had a full points winner or nothing at all. More entries per round means more duplicates?

Dunno, after writing that I’m now not sure if it makes sense or not.

Soldato
I wonder if making the categories a little broader would fix this? A - American, B - Bitter, C - Chocolate etc...Seem to recall last time round the categories were pretty unusual or else very specific. Made it great fun trying to find something, but it usually meant you had a full points winner or nothing at all. More entries per round means more duplicates?

Making them too broad opens it up too much and its easy to get max points. It should go the other way if anything.

Soldato
OP
I’d be up for this again, count me in!

i would want to be a bit more specific. i like the idea of c = chocolate but i'd make it chocolate stout for example, to narrow it down and make it a little harder.

Kinob: you could do batches or individual. i just did most all at once due to work and my memory to be honest. then the more bespoke rounds i used to make the special trips or searches, usually for a christmas themed beer or easter themed etc etc.

i think i will put up 3 suggestions and everyone that enters can vote, majority rules. i want it to be a simple as possible too. if more than one person has the same beer for example, no one gets any points :)

that said, if it's true beer of the world, a-z would be countries and only something different if there wasn't a country with a particular letter. like it was in the old days.

Associate
It could make it complicated but what about each week, you say the name of a beer that you think somebody else will have bought and if you're right, you gain a bonus point for each person that has that beer. For example if it's a lager week, I could buy an unusual lager and then say "Carling". If 3 people have bought carling then I get 3 bonus points.

Soldato
What's this all about then?

We have a competition where we try and find a unique beer based on a set criteria for a given week.

So if Round 1 is American beer. We all submit an American beer and then points are allocated depending on the beers uniqueness against your competitoes

It's a great laugh and in the early days i think we had about 20 of us playing.

Permabanned
We have a competition where we try and find a unique beer based on a set criteria for a given week.

So if Round 1 is American beer. We all submit an American beer and then points are allocated depending on the beers uniqueness against your competitoes

It's a great laugh and in the early days i think we had about 20 of us playing.

Sounds great! I am up for this.

Soldato
I'd play. I was a bit quiet in the more recent ones but was there at the beginning.

Happy to help you out @silent , with the posting/scoring.

Wouldn't want to do countries, but happy to do categories.

Back
Top Bottom