#BeForTheGame

Associate
Definitely Turing as the leaks have pretty much confirmed RTX but only for the top SKUs (ie XX80 and XX70) whilst the lower SKU’s will be GTX and may actually be a Pascal refresh as they will not be capable of Ray Tracing. Beware the hype on Ray Tracing as I think it will be a while before this filters down to game engines and releases.

If you look at the current generation the consumer Titan Xp compares to the professional Quadro P6000 at a cost of £1,150 to £4,650. The equivalent RTX 6000 looks to have a price point of $6,300 so any hopes of a RTX 2080 much below £1,000 at MSRP is starting to look a little hopeful in my humble opinion.

If I was to hazard a guess we may see a new Titan at £1,500+, RTX2080 at £1,000, and an RTX2070 at about £700-£750 MSRP. With no real competition it’s difficult to see them being much lower. It might actually be a time to grab a 1080ti on sale before the launch next week.

Associate
Look at the way the date is revealed at the end - 2 0 8 0 are emphasised, in that order.

Well spotted! Let the hype train go to hyperloop speeds! Will be interesting if we see any benchmark leaks as those review cards must be on their way to the major techtubers and influencers as well as AIB partners.

Soldato
If these cards are stupidly expensive, I'll pass.

i think it'll be like 1080 launch, £100 more then 980 but then stock will go and then prices can be put up due to stock shortage - nvidia store will run out of stock 5 mins before they have it haha .
first batch of AIV cards will go, then pre-order prices will rise .

Soldato
Definitely Turing as the leaks have pretty much confirmed RTX but only for the top SKUs (ie XX80 and XX70) whilst the lower SKU’s will be GTX and may actually be a Pascal refresh as they will not be capable of Ray Tracing. Beware the hype on Ray Tracing as I think it will be a while before this filters down to game engines and releases.

If you look at the current generation the consumer Titan Xp compares to the professional Quadro P6000 at a cost of £1,150 to £4,650. The equivalent RTX 6000 looks to have a price point of $6,300 so any hopes of a RTX 2080 much below £1,000 at MSRP is starting to look a little hopeful in my humble opinion.

If I was to hazard a guess we may see a new Titan at £1,500+, RTX2080 at £1,000, and an RTX2070 at about £700-£750 MSRP. With no real competition it’s difficult to see them being much lower. It might actually be a time to grab a 1080ti on sale before the launch next week.

This is WAYYYY too much money, and it's why I think people are getting awfully carried away and clutching at straws with expectations as to what the 2080 will be. You are right in so far as were the 2080 to be Turing, it would be exorbitantly expensive, just as that $10k Quadro is. Which is why I am still convinced the gaming GPU's will be Volta, and their complete lack of mention of Volta at the Siggraph event was a big clue. They didn't want to show Turing to crush Volta (which it does), as it will make them look ridiculous next week when they roll out Volta as the next revolution in GPU gaming technology.

Associate
This is WAYYYY too much money, and it's why I think people are getting awfully carried away and clutching at straws with expectations as to what the 2080 will be. You are right in so far as were the 2080 to be Turing, it would be exorbitantly expensive, just as that $10k Quadro is. Which is why I am still convinced the gaming GPU's will be Volta, and their complete lack of mention of Volta at the Siggraph event was a big clue. They didn't want to show Turing to crush Volta (which it does), as it will make them look ridiculous next week when they roll out Volta as the next revolution in GPU gaming technology.

I wish I was wrong but if you look at the wider picture, putting the puzzle together and look at the patent applications and trademark applications made by nVidia they are pushing ray tracing on the consumer side. They have registered GeForce RTX as a trademark as well as the Virtual Link along with a host of other technologies.

If they are to include Ray Tracing in any form on the consumer line then they will need to use the Turing architecture. Volta was never going to be a consumer line, with the Titan V being effectively a prosumer card with its enormous price tag.

On the pricing side nVidia have no real competition at the moment, that’s why I fear that the new cards are going to be higher than previous generation. I really hope I’m wrong and I fear the whole RTX thing is very much a hype train, what it will do for the average gamer right now is very little. Another consideration is the cost of GDDR6 memory, at about $22 from the foundry as well as a shortage of production capacity at the current time as the fabrication plants ramp up.

If you ask my opinion the best value proposition for most gamers is probably the Vega 64, especially the PowerColor one on sale at £449.99, at a 1440p resolution on a decent FreeSync monitors. There are those who will pay for the latest and greatest nVidia cards and G-Sync monitors, but they will be in the vast minority.

The average PC gamer is getting screwed right now with RAM prices and GPU prices, if it wasn’t for Ryzen then CPU prices would be higher also, if it wasn’t for AMD and their AM4 roadmap then I wouldn’t of been surprised that the upcoming i9-9770K need a new X390 motherboard.

Soldato
I wish I was wrong but if you look at the wider picture, putting the puzzle together and look at the patent applications and trademark applications made by nVidia they are pushing ray tracing on the consumer side. They have registered GeForce RTX as a trademark as well as the Virtual Link along with a host of other technologies.

If they are to include Ray Tracing in any form on the consumer line then they will need to use the Turing architecture. Volta was never going to be a consumer line, with the Titan V being effectively a prosumer card with its enormous price tag.

On the pricing side nVidia have no real competition at the moment, that’s why I fear that the new cards are going to be higher than previous generation. I really hope I’m wrong and I fear the whole RTX thing is very much a hype train, what it will do for the average gamer right now is very little. Another consideration is the cost of GDDR6 memory, at about $22 from the foundry as well as a shortage of production capacity at the current time as the fabrication plants ramp up.

If you ask my opinion the best value proposition for most gamers is probably the Vega 64, especially the PowerColor one on sale at £449.99, at a 1440p resolution on a decent FreeSync monitors. There are those who will pay for the latest and greatest nVidia cards and G-Sync monitors, but they will be in the vast minority.

The average PC gamer is getting screwed right now with RAM prices and GPU prices, if it wasn’t for Ryzen then CPU prices would be higher also, if it wasn’t for AMD and their AM4 roadmap then I wouldn’t of been surprised that the upcoming i9-9770K need a new X390 motherboard.

Granted, if the cards support Ray Tracing then the RTX naming makes sense, but Volta does support Ray Tracing so it doesn't need to be Turing for that. But as you say, what does Ray Tracing offers pretty much nothing for the average gamer, so these cards could have inflated prices with tech that isn't going to be utilised fully. And by the time it is, we'll have the Ti versions on the market, or even the next gen of GPUs!

Associate
Well we have ls
Granted, if the cards support Ray Tracing then the RTX naming makes sense, but Volta does support Ray Tracing so it doesn't need to be Turing for that. But as you say, what does Ray Tracing offers pretty much nothing for the average gamer, so these cards could have inflated prices with tech that isn't going to be utilised fully. And by the time it is, we'll have the Ti versions on the market, or even the next gen of GPUs!

Must admit I didn’t realise Volta support Ray Tracing, but does it have the dedicated Tensor cores for real time acceleration?

Soldato
Must admit I didn’t realise Volta support Ray Tracing, but does it have the dedicated Tensor cores for real time acceleration?

Not sure about real time acceleration but the Tensor cores in Volta hardware can be used to optimise performance for ray tracing. Volta has always been bandied about as the successor to Pascal, and with plenty of talk about RTX months ago, long before this latest Quadro GPU was announced. We shall find out next week...

Back
Top Bottom