Being headhunted, feeling dispirited at work, but at the centre of a brand new project…need advice

Caporegime
But 99% of the time the uplift will be no where near the increase as a change in company. At least if an offer is on the table you know that money is coming to you one way or another.

Not necessarily, not when it comes to promotions/taking on a management role. And generally, while you can get a pay rise/counter-offer by getting an external offer in hand that can have negative consequences.

If you're talking about general annual pay rises for good performance then sure, I agree.

Permabanned
ok my bro and cousin (his son) both do the cad thing .. my bro does elecy and gas ect in buildings .. he's on 28k a yr just moved jobs .. his son does site work water drains elecy gas .. for new build sites .. hes on 40k+
so what cad do you do ? and if there not paying you enough just move ? as far as there concerned there are plenty of jobs out there

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the advice everyone. It's a tad overwhelming to reply to everyone.

With regards to the new team, they've actually just announced a new team member arriving next Monday under my mentorship. This just serves to make me feel even more uncomfortable! However, I think it cements that I will be leading this new team. Obviously that won't come with any particular pay rise etc. As long as they sort out my current salary situation, I'm not too fussed on that front. More concerned about what to do with this new guy, whether they'll just hand him over and expect me to know what to do or what!

But, I'm also quite set on leaving now. As much as the emotional attachment to this company is strong, I can see that I will benefit more from being in a different environment where I can learn more instead of the blind leading the blind (me being first blind!).

It feels good to have made my mind up. I'm now going to have to navigate attending interviews while getting this new chap started, which is a bit of a pain. Particularly as the wife and I currently share one car, which she needs 75% of the time.

Soldato
I've recently come through a similar situation at work in regards to a 'new and exciting project' that they wanted me to lead. While I could see that it was a big step forward for the function it was something that I just couldn't muster any enthusiasm for. I had a frank conversation with the CFO and told him that another 18 months of driving massive change in the capital function didn't appeal to me at all.

If its not a good fit for you, or something you want to be doing then you need to raise this. Obviously your ability to have that conversation is dependent on how well regarded you are at work, and what else you may be able to get involved in, but having somebody lead a significant change project who doesn't have the appetite for it is a nightmare for the business so they should be aware of this and plan accordingly.

With you saying this is your first proper job, I'd echo the sentiment from everybody else... its time for a change, you need to see what else is out there and how other organisations operate.

Soldato
OP
I've recently come through a similar situation at work in regards to a 'new and exciting project' that they wanted me to lead. While I could see that it was a big step forward for the function it was something that I just couldn't muster any enthusiasm for. I had a frank conversation with the CFO and told him that another 18 months of driving massive change in the capital function didn't appeal to me at all.

If its not a good fit for you, or something you want to be doing then you need to raise this. Obviously your ability to have that conversation is dependent on how well regarded you are at work, and what else you may be able to get involved in, but having somebody lead a significant change project who doesn't have the appetite for it is a nightmare for the business so they should be aware of this and plan accordingly.

With you saying this is your first proper job, I'd echo the sentiment from everybody else... its time for a change, you need to see what else is out there and how other organisations operate.

Thank you for your feedback. What was the result of you saying that you didn't want to lead the project?

Caporegime
Thanks for all the advice everyone. It's a tad overwhelming to reply to everyone.

With regards to the new team, they've actually just announced a new team member arriving next Monday under my mentorship. This just serves to make me feel even more uncomfortable! However, I think it cements that I will be leading this new team. Obviously that won't come with any particular pay rise etc. As long as they sort out my current salary situation, I'm not too fussed on that front. More concerned about what to do with this new guy, whether they'll just hand him over and expect me to know what to do or what!

But, I'm also quite set on leaving now. As much as the emotional attachment to this company is strong, I can see that I will benefit more from being in a different environment where I can learn more instead of the blind leading the blind (me being first blind!).

It feels good to have made my mind up. I'm now going to have to navigate attending interviews while getting this new chap started, which is a bit of a pain. Particularly as the wife and I currently share one car, which she needs 75% of the time.
Surely any interview in the current situation is going to be a virtual one?

Soldato
Until you have an actual job offer, so not speak to your current work about this.
At the moment there is the potential for either a) a new job, b) a change in your current role

No reason why you can't be excited for both possibilities at the moment.

Soldato
OP
Until you have an actual job offer, so not speak to your current work about this.
At the moment there is the potential for either a) a new job, b) a change in your current role

No reason why you can't be excited for both possibilities at the moment.

Whilst you’re right, all I feel about the “new” role in my company is dread. I just don’t want to do it. Hence why moving seems like a much better option. It’s also a small company so I can’t really move departments without devaluing myself.

Soldato
Thank you for your feedback. What was the result of you saying that you didn't want to lead the project?

It was very positive, they gave me the scope to design my own job spec and lay out exactly what I was interested in doing. Not to blow my own trumpet though, I'm a massively vital cog and one of 5 or 6 people that keeps a 70 strong team from falling flat on its ****. While nobody is indispensable, I'm about as close to it as you can get in a Finance role. Even then I had my trepidation's about the call, and it went better than I could ever have expected.

Last edited:
Soldato
very nice, congrats. I’d like to meet these people too, seems sort of weird not to, at least to me

Yeah, I was the same, but TBH I found I still got a good feel for the people I would be working with and had pretty much decided I would take it even if I got an offer from another place, incidentally I didn't but that was a 3 stage video interview process too.

Soldato
OP
It was very positive, they gave me the scope to design my own job spec and lay out exactly what I was interested in doing. Not to blow my own trumpet though, I'm a massively vital cog and one of 5 or 6 people that keeps a 70 strong team from falling flat on its arse. While nobody is indispensable, I'm about as close to it as you can get in a Finance role. Even then I had my trepidation's about the call, and it went better than I could ever have expected.

Oh great, I'm really pleased to hear that.

I wish I could do the same, but I literally don't believe the company is capable of it. It's only been since the weekend that my feelings have crystallised though.

Yeah, I was the same, but TBH I found I still got a good feel for the people I would be working with and had pretty much decided I would take it even if I got an offer from another place, incidentally I didn't but that was a 3 stage video interview process too.

Are you going to be working remotely the entire time then?

Soldato
Are you going to be working remotely the entire time then?

No, funnily enough I only live a 15 minute walk from the business park the building is on so as soon as possible I'll be back in the office.

I much prefer going to work as opposed to WFH and now I dont even have the hassle of a commute when it returns to normal.

Soldato
OP
No, funnily enough I only live a 15 minute walk from the business park the building is on so as soon as possible I'll be back in the office.

I much prefer going to work as opposed to WFH and now I dont even have the hassle of a commute when it returns to normal.

Haha brilliant. Commuting is the worst.

The job I'm most interested in is either 30 miles the wrong way round the M25 (Woking to Crawley) or 30 minutes on small roads. I'm going to do my best to negotiate expectations to be that I go to Crawley maybe once or twice a week, the other place maybe once or twice, and work from home one or two days. The idea of going in an office right now really doesn't appeal.

Soldato

Training up your replacement?

Back
Top Bottom