Being headhunted, feeling dispirited at work, but at the centre of a brand new project…need advice

Soldato
In business you have to pay for loyalty. If you get a better offer go for that. If they want you to stay then they need to offer more.

The working environment is important though. I'd rather work in a fun place with a lower wage than a ****** place with a bigger wage.

Soldato
OP
In business you have to pay for loyalty. If you get a better offer go for that.

The working environment is important though. I'd rather work in a fun place with a lower wage than a ****** place with a bigger wage.

In all fairness, I have really enjoyed working there for a long time. Part of me wants to just embrace the changes, but I think the salary crap is so shady, and they've done all sorts of odd things over the years that made me feel very uncomfortable (cutting our pay to match furloughed staff, for example, and having the ability to do that written into our contracts!).

Soldato
In all fairness, I have really enjoyed working there for a long time. Part of me wants to just embrace the changes, but I think the salary crap is so shady, and they've done all sorts of odd things over the years that made me feel very uncomfortable (cutting our pay to match furloughed staff, for example, and having the ability to do that written into our contracts!).

I left my previous employer in the lurch after getting a better offer. I told them unless they can beat the £10k pay rise I was leaving in 2 weeks. They didn't, so I did.

I didn't think twice about it, once I'm gone it isn't my problem anymore.

Soldato
OP
I left my previous employer in the lurch after getting a better offer. I told them unless they can beat the £10k pay rise I was leaving in 2 weeks. They didn't, so I did.

I didn't think twice about it, once I'm gone it isn't my problem anymore.

I don't blame you at all. I'm hoping I can do that, although I'd like to spend time training up some people before I leave so they definitely aren't left in the lurch. Too much of my product group stuff is in my head only. I've been writing a handover for a while and I'm up to about 12 pages already.

I think the job I'm looking at will be 5-10k pay rise. However, I currently live about 3 miles from work and this other company is further away. But car and mileage allowance will hopefully make up for that.

Soldato

Yeah, anybody tried to pull that with me and I'd have told them where to go and walked.

From what you say it sounds like the atmosphere at the company is great, but they're a **** employer who takes advantage of their team.

Get out, get out now.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, anybody tried to pull that with me and I'd have told them where to go and walked.

From what you say it sounds like the atmosphere at the company is great, but they're a **** employer who takes advantage of their team.

Get out, get out now.

I'm hoping to! In the mean time, I think I'm going to try and embrace the new changes, do my best work-wise, and hopefully be asked to join another company in the near future.

Soldato
OP
New update: got an interview with the company I've been angling for on the 22nd March. 10 minute presentation, run through my CV etc.

I'm excited. The guy that I had the preliminary interview with seems to want me to join 100%, just got to get it past the MD and HR apparently. But I'm pretty square with HR as well as they had me do some testing, just need to see if I'm a cultural fit I guess.

My presentation skills are good...I'm giving three next week so they'd better be! I just need to decide on the content.

Caporegime
That's a great story. Sounds like it worked out extremely well for you!! I will be honest with them; it's not my style not to be. But I can't be honest with them yet as I don't want to be fired. When I can, I'll tell them how I feel.

Today's update: to compound my discomfort about leaving, they've just added two new members to this new team, both of whom are under my mentorship. Uncomfortable much!

There is a bit of a difference between an experienced staff member mentoring a new hire or two and being appointed to lead a new team. I get that the company has been naff here re: career development but I don't get why you've not been more proactive yourself - like how can you end up in a position where you think you're going to get a team leader position shortly etc..

It's worth pushing for these things proactively and setting expectations etc.. there is no harm in directly asking if you can lead the new team and pushing for an answer on that, especially if during your last review say a year ago you'd declared it as something you'd like to work towards. Too many people sit back and hope for things to sort themselves out or hope that simply doing good work will get them recognised etc.. it can do but it's better to be proactive about these things and to be open and vocal about having some ambition. Pushing for stuff at the last minute or indeed only once you've got a rival job offer in hand can also work but is again sub optimal vs actually just being proactive about it in the first place. IMO you should have had an answer on whether you'd be leading the team or not, there shouldn't have been a situation where you think something might be handed to you etc..

If I were you, at your new employer (assuming you get the job - best of luck with the interviews etc..) at your annual review, point at your past experience and openly declare that you'd like to take on more responsibility and work towards a management/team leader role (whatever is appropriate) and specifically ask to be given some new responsibility or time leading a project or similar in order to try and facilitate this. That's how plenty of people progress, lots of others just sit around doing their work and are otherwise reliant on chance or someone recognising their potential which might never happen.

Caporegime
Further further development, I have 3 new starters joining in the next 2 weeks. I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing with them and I have no interest in finding out.
It definitely sounds like you've mentally checked out and have left already. I wouldn't consider staying even if they offer you £20k extra, nothing will change how the job and company make you feel and all the money in the world won't make you feel any better while at work. Good luck at the presentations.

Permabanned
I feel your pain with salary crap, im currently underpaid by more than (no this is no joke) 40k per year. Updated my linkedin profile and was quickly headhunted by 2 companies, one is around a 50k payrise and one is around 40k payrise. Both include substantial bonus also.

In final stage interviews with both and they are kinda fighting over me as I have quite a niche skillset.

I'll be having words with my current manager that they need to seriously revaluate the salary for this role. I won't consider a counter offer.

Best of luck to you!

Soldato
OP
There is a bit of a difference between an experienced staff member mentoring a new hire or two and being appointed to lead a new team. I get that the company has been naff here re: career development but I don't get why you've not been more proactive yourself - like how can you end up in a position where you think you're going to get a team leader position shortly etc..

It's worth pushing for these things proactively and setting expectations etc.. there is no harm in directly asking if you can lead the new team and pushing for an answer on that, especially if during your last review say a year ago you'd declared it as something you'd like to work towards. Too many people sit back and hope for things to sort themselves out or hope that simply doing good work will get them recognised etc.. it can do but it's better to be proactive about these things and to be open and vocal about having some ambition. Pushing for stuff at the last minute or indeed only once you've got a rival job offer in hand can also work but is again sub optimal vs actually just being proactive about it in the first place. IMO you should have had an answer on whether you'd be leading the team or not, there shouldn't have been a situation where you think something might be handed to you etc..

If I were you, at your new employer (assuming you get the job - best of luck with the interviews etc..) at your annual review, point at your past experience and openly declare that you'd like to take on more responsibility and work towards a management/team leader role (whatever is appropriate) and specifically ask to be given some new responsibility or time leading a project or similar in order to try and facilitate this. That's how plenty of people progress, lots of others just sit around doing their work and are otherwise reliant on chance or someone recognising their potential which might never happen.

There are three jobs above me - Directors, General Manager, and then a job I don't know the name of which is basically leaders of middle management. I won't be taking any of those jobs any time soon, although I really don't know if they see my new position as comparable. I wouldn't have thought so given the amount of experience those guys have. I have actually been quite proactive though, that's what got me to the job I'm in now. I just feel I'm at the end of that rope though.

I believe I am the new team lead. I'm just not really on board with the plan. This director is good with ideas, but less good with execution. But he's running this thing, so I know that at some point he'll be on to the next idea and I'll be left with a half formed team without clear guidance on what to do with it. And this is where I think I need more experience. I don't want to push for more with a job offer in hand. I'd like the job offer and to hand in my notice.

This new position should be more product management, less people management. I'm OK with people management at the moment - maybe not the best manager, definitely not the worst. But my product management skillset is lacking. I don't know how to push the product further out to market, so I'm really hoping this new company can help me learn that. I get what you're saying about relying on a chance or a new position. If I have to, if I don't get or don't like this new job, I will embrace the current one and ask for some training and explain the issues I have in much greater depth than I have done so far. There are benefits to my current position - it's 3 miles from my house, I have a fantastic work-life balance, I have great friendships with some of my colleagues, so if I can make it work that would be great. But then I think about the shady stuff htey've done - cutting our pay due to others being on furlough, not paying bonuses for seeminlgy abritrary reasons, no HR, dubious pay rises etc.

It definitely sounds like you've mentally checked out and have left already. I wouldn't consider staying even if they offer you £20k extra, nothing will change how the job and company make you feel and all the money in the world won't make you feel any better while at work. Good luck at the presentations.

I think I have. I have been feeling a little better this week, but I think that's just because my workload has increased. 20k probably would get me to stay, but then I'd feel like I wasn't adding enough value to actually be worth that!

Thank you.

I feel your pain with salary crap, im currently underpaid by more than (no this is no joke) 40k per year. Updated my linkedin profile and was quickly headhunted by 2 companies, one is around a 50k payrise and one is around 40k payrise. Both include substantial bonus also.

In final stage interviews with both and they are kinda fighting over me as I have quite a niche skillset.

I'll be having words with my current manager that they need to seriously revaluate the salary for this role. I won't consider a counter offer.

Best of luck to you!

That's amazing, best of luck!! I can't imagine how much a 50k raise would change you life...sounds like it'll be a lot. Really hope it all works out for you. If not, you can always lose some weight and get back to Gotham.

Permabanned
There are three jobs above me - Directors, General Manager, and then a job I don't know the name of which is basically leaders of middle management. I won't be taking any of those jobs any time soon, although I really don't know if they see my new position as comparable. I wouldn't have thought so given the amount of experience those guys have. I have actually been quite proactive though, that's what got me to the job I'm in now. I just feel I'm at the end of that rope though.

I believe I am the new team lead. I'm just not really on board with the plan. This director is good with ideas, but less good with execution. But he's running this thing, so I know that at some point he'll be on to the next idea and I'll be left with a half formed team without clear guidance on what to do with it. And this is where I think I need more experience. I don't want to push for more with a job offer in hand. I'd like the job offer and to hand in my notice.

This new position should be more product management, less people management. I'm OK with people management at the moment - maybe not the best manager, definitely not the worst. But my product management skillset is lacking. I don't know how to push the product further out to market, so I'm really hoping this new company can help me learn that. I get what you're saying about relying on a chance or a new position. If I have to, if I don't get or don't like this new job, I will embrace the current one and ask for some training and explain the issues I have in much greater depth than I have done so far. There are benefits to my current position - it's 3 miles from my house, I have a fantastic work-life balance, I have great friendships with some of my colleagues, so if I can make it work that would be great. But then I think about the shady stuff htey've done - cutting our pay due to others being on furlough, not paying bonuses for seeminlgy abritrary reasons, no HR, dubious pay rises etc.

I think I have. I have been feeling a little better this week, but I think that's just because my workload has increased. 20k probably would get me to stay, but then I'd feel like I wasn't adding enough value to actually be worth that!

Thank you.

That's amazing, best of luck!! I can't imagine how much a 50k raise would change you life...sounds like it'll be a lot. Really hope it all works out for you. If not, you can always lose some weight and get back to Gotham.

Yes it's a life changing amount of money for me and the family, it means that big house wouldn't be far off for us. Fingers crossed!

Soldato
@dirtychinchilla it sounds like you're similar age/ experience to me, I graduated 6 years ago and now a chartered engineer. It sounds like you're frustrated/underpaid and not enjoying the role. I have to say I've got no idea what a product manager is though! I work in construction/consultancy.

It sounds like you have a lot of responsibility for a package ~£50k or just under. I've just got a new job shy of that figure. I wanted more but tbh I was keen to leave and I think my marketplace is slightly deflated due to covid. You do know that for the bracket under £50k you pay 20%+12% NI and for >50k it's 40% +2% NI i.e. 10% extra/not as big a difference as you may believe. If you earned 55k, you could also salary sacrifice £5k to your pension then pay no tax in the upper bracket.

For your new role I'd always say inflate your salary that you want (dont just go for the same +£x K, add on the costs of the extra mileage, the risk amount etc)

I wouldnt take a counter offer unless they offer you more money/resolve your current issues. I think employers just count on people not wanting to move on due to "risk"/uncertainy etc.

For me in 6 years postgraduation I've lasted:
1st role - 18 months (moved due to location)
2nd role - 2.5 years (moved due to lack of work/projects)
3rd role - 2.5 years (various reasons but salary and them furloughing staff was one)
4th role - start imminently.

In every role thus far I've been glad I've moved and always received the highest salary jumps when moving. My imminent house move also aligns with new job!

re: moving house, if you speak to a broker some lenders will be OK with offering you a mortgage in your probation (if the role is similar, no massive inflation to earnings and you can demonstrate all your previous career earnings with no break). I'd want a good salary for working in the south west but thats just me!

Soldato
OP
@dirtychinchilla it sounds like you're similar age/ experience to me, I graduated 6 years ago and now a chartered engineer. It sounds like you're frustrated/underpaid and not enjoying the role. I have to say I've got no idea what a product manager is though! I work in construction/consultancy.

It sounds like you have a lot of responsibility for a package ~£50k or just under. I've just got a new job shy of that figure. I wanted more but tbh I was keen to leave and I think my marketplace is slightly deflated due to covid. You do know that for the bracket under £50k you pay 20%+12% NI and for >50k it's 40% +2% NI i.e. 10% extra/not as big a difference as you may believe. If you earned 55k, you could also salary sacrifice £5k to your pension then pay no tax in the upper bracket.

For your new role I'd always say inflate your salary that you want (dont just go for the same +£x K, add on the costs of the extra mileage, the risk amount etc)

I wouldnt take a counter offer unless they offer you more money/resolve your current issues. I think employers just count on people not wanting to move on due to "risk"/uncertainy etc.

For me in 6 years postgraduation I've lasted:
1st role - 18 months (moved due to location)
2nd role - 2.5 years (moved due to lack of work/projects)
3rd role - 2.5 years (various reasons but salary and them furloughing staff was one)
4th role - start imminently.

In every role thus far I've been glad I've moved and always received the highest salary jumps when moving. My imminent house move also aligns with new job!

re: moving house, if you speak to a broker some lenders will be OK with offering you a mortgage in your probation (if the role is similar, no massive inflation to earnings and you can demonstrate all your previous career earnings with no break). I'd want a good salary for working in the south west but thats just me!

Interesting. I actually work for a company that leads the heat interface market in the UK and therefore a huge advocate of heat networks, though my speciality is decentralized MVHR. Sounds like we may cross paths unless you're on the civil side?

That's my plan re: earning over 50k - just put it into my pension. I don't want to pay the extra tax and my pension definitely needs it. We're pretty comfortable with the household income as is so that's not a big deal. I just want to be paid what I'm worth! Having said that, I think I'd feel like I was an imposted if my worked turned round and gave me 55k plus bonus as I've really struggled to focus recently.

You're absolutely right. I imagine their conservative salaries rely on the fact that it's a nice company, in many ways, to work for and in this pandemic, people would prioritise job security over new opportunities. I'm going to say **** that.

You definitely have been busy. i guess that's the consultancy world for you!

I'm not going to mention the employment situation to my mortgage broker as there's currently nothing to tell. At the very worst, I'd be leaving this place in two months (notice period) to move to a higher paying job so that seems relatively risk-free to me.

Soldato
Interesting. I actually work for a company that leads the heat interface market in the UK and therefore a huge advocate of heat networks, though my speciality is decentralized MVHR. Sounds like we may cross paths unless you're on the civil side?

That's my plan re: earning over 50k - just put it into my pension. I don't want to pay the extra tax and my pension definitely needs it. We're pretty comfortable with the household income as is so that's not a big deal. I just want to be paid what I'm worth! Having said that, I think I'd feel like I was an imposted if my worked turned round and gave me 55k plus bonus as I've really struggled to focus recently.

You're absolutely right. I imagine their conservative salaries rely on the fact that it's a nice company, in many ways, to work for and in this pandemic, people would prioritise job security over new opportunities. I'm going to say **** that.

You definitely have been busy. i guess that's the consultancy world for you!

I'm not going to mention the employment situation to my mortgage broker as there's currently nothing to tell. At the very worst, I'd be leaving this place in two months (notice period) to move to a higher paying job so that seems relatively risk-free to me.

Im more utilities (water/wastewater) so not really building services, i am a mech engineer though. (i think civils generally get paid less but tend to go into project management?)

I think all companies tend to think that employees get comfortable/won't leave, it's definetly not uncommon.

Yeah if you've already had offer accepted etc for a house and just need mortgage to clear I wouldn't mention it. I exchange later this week on new house hopefully and stsrt new job the week after. Not raising it to mortgage company as its an increase in pay.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Im more utilities (water/wastewater) so not really building services, i am a mech engineer though. (i think civils generally get paid less but tend to go into project management?)

I think all companies tend to think that employees get comfortable/won't leave, it's definetly not uncommon.

Yeah if you've already had offer accepted etc for a house and just need mortgage to clear I wouldn't mention it. I exchange later this week on new house hopefully and stsrt new job the week after. Not raising it to mortgage company as its an increase in pay.

Ah interesting. I think you're right about civil engineers...makes sense!

best of luck with the exchange and the new job :)

Permabanned
How are you getting on?

I've had two offers, both of which are a 40k per year raise and double bonus - equates to well over 50k per year if you look at whole package. Can't believe I didn't spot this earlier to be honest, I've been getting done for the last 3 years.

Still weighing up which opportunity to take, my current company are going to really struggle to fill the position if they do not seriously up their game on salary.

Soldato
OP
How are you getting on?

I've had two offers, both of which are a 40k per year raise and double bonus - equates to well over 50k per year if you look at whole package. Can't believe I didn't spot this earlier to be honest, I've been getting done for the last 3 years.

Still weighing up which opportunity to take, my current company are going to really struggle to fill the position if they do not seriously up their game on salary.

Wow that’s amazing! What is it that you do? Are you accepting any of them?

They’ll just have to get someone who isn’t up to the job and will accept a low salary, I’d imagine.

Thanks for checking in. I have an interview on Monday, which is for a company that I was very keen in. But, one of my colleagues also interviewed for one of the jobs there (we aren’t competing, different technical expertise) and he said it’s a huge amount of travelling, which I’m not up for.

I was feeling terrible about the new team etc but on Thursday morning I had a call that an opportunity I’d created has come through, and we’ll be getting some projects from it. I’m not a salesman but I can create business for the company if I want to. That’s sparked an understanding of this new project team, and suddenly I feel really motivated again. I’m actually excited about the new project.

So, real turn around and honestly, I feel good. I’ll do the interview, question them more on the travelling, and hopefully get an offer. Then I’ll have to decide what to do with it.

My boss did call me the other day and said, “I can see your CV is still up. Should we be worried I?” I fobbed him off a bit and made some points about salary and lack of guidance. Hopefully they’ll take root at some point, particularly if I receive a competing offer. I specifically told him their salaries aren’t competitive for example.

So the next week will be interesting…having said that, we’re moving house on Wednesday so that’s my real focus right now.

Caporegime
My boss did call me the other day and said, “I can see your CV is still up. Should we be worried I?” I fobbed him off a bit and made some points about salary and lack of guidance. Hopefully they’ll take root at some point, particularly if I receive a competing offer. I specifically told him their salaries aren’t competitive for example.

Why don't you sit down and have a chat with them?

Sorry but it just seems ridiculous that you're coming out with comments about how you think you might be leading a new team but weren't sure etc.. you've got to push for these things sometimes and make things clear to others too RE: expectations, salary goals etc... much better to be proactive about this stuff.

there is literally nothing wrong with arranging a meeting and putting the onus on them - asking for some promotion or new responsibility, telling them what your salary objectives are, what you'd like to make next year and the year after etc.. and push them for a pay rise now if you're underpaid. Don't just be fobbed off, have the meeting, speak to them and then follow up - like a week or two later send an e-mail or have another conversation and get a firm answer etc..

Back
Top Bottom