Being the landlord and neighbour at the same time thread.

Soldato
I rented my spare room to my best friend up until recently, he was brilliant but even little things felt way bigger because of the proximity, I can't imagine what it would have been like with someone I didn't have such a good relationship with let alone strangers.

Soldato
From a tenant's point of view, I used to rent a house where the landlords were next door - we never had a problem, and we didn't check up on them or them check up on us. I can only echo what others have said - get decent tenants and it wont be an issue :)

Soldato
I rented my spare room to my best friend up until recently, he was brilliant but even little things felt way bigger because of the proximity, I can't imagine what it would have been like with someone I didn't have such a good relationship with let alone strangers.

yeh, but its not in the same property. totally different

Soldato
yeh, but its not in the same property. totally different

The way the flat is structured, it's not really totally different, we shared a kitchen, gym and a corridor. It could well of been 2 flats in a block of them on the same floor. It's still having someone else living in and accidentally damaging your property 24/7.

Soldato
If they are sensible older more mature couple, why not, if you find people that are happy with it.

However I can't see the teens > late 20's people wanting to move in and feel guilty/paranoid about holding partys :p

Associate
You could always insert a door in the wall so you can go into the other house from your living room and inspect them ;)

Soldato
I live opposite of my landlord. He owns 6 out of 8 flats in our building. We have no problems living like this and neither do other tenants, all in their 20s. If anything it's a bonus as we can get easily in touch with him if needed. The other day my girlfriend forgot her keys and all she needed was to knock on his door to get in.

Soldato
You could always insert a door in the wall so you can go into the other house from your living room and inspect them ;)

Or you could get a door which leads directly to the shower room, then find a really hot tenant :p

"Inspection time"

Woops, have I come at a bad time?

I don't think I could have the landlord next to me, wouldn't feel comfortable

Last edited:
Soldato
Perfectly fine and a good idea, as long as you pick the tenants carefully, or are you just after £$£$£$ no matter who they are???

Associate
Or you could get a door which leads directly to the shower room, then find a really hot tenant :p

"Inspection time"

Woops, have I come at a bad time?

I don't think I could have the landlord next to me, wouldn't feel comfortable

Couldn't you just make a peaking hole and then bigger hole lower down to be easier?

Soldato
If you do use an agent make sure it's a respectable one and keep an eye on them.

I rented my flat through a nice chap. He hasn't actually passed any rent onto the land lady since January and he's now disappeared. To make it even better there's no sign of the deposit

My landlady has lost several months rent and has had to replace the stolen deposit money. To make it worse the same agent also managed the flat downstairs for her, and took a 3 month deposit from the tenant.

Last edited:
Associate
We have to pay just under £100 each time we renew our contract with our landlady's agency. That could potentially put people off. It's a right PITA. Then again, I've no idea what work they have to do when renewing...

Back
Top Bottom