Belgium rules that loot boxes are gambling - wants them banned in Europe

Soldato
Other than those that apparently like them.

Wonder if we will get the same law (sorry I don't want to start the bloody brexit debate just hoping we do or at least a requirement for an option to turn the crap off so it's not shoved in my face all the time).

Associate
Like above, I hope the world follows suit when its all passed when ever that happens.

Defiantly a step in the right direction finally, Thanks Battlefront 2 for going way way over the line.

Associate
It is gambling, but at least at a bookie you know what the return will be. It's extremely shady and the sooner it's removed from gaming the better.

You have to wonder where this would go if companies like EA continue unabated. It used to be enough that you'd buy the game, maybe an expansion. Then the greedier publishers started cutting content to sell as dlc, then the season passes that cost as much as the game and now in game gambling for tangible advantages over other players.

**** EA and any other publisher that goes down this road.

Soldato
If gambling is removed from the game then that game will have to rethink its methods of extracting money from players.

It'll just move to skins for X amount each. I can't think of any other options. At least not moral ones.

In before bitcoin miner in BF3 it'll look like **** so the gpu has more spare power.

Soldato
How would this work on something such as Hearthstone?

Take it one step further, any trading card game?
Hopefully it will turn hearthstone and others into pay once only games although with expansion packs, new cards are one off extras but you get all the new cards not just packs of random new cards. So no more buying packs hopefully, it then let's all players have access to all cards and hopefully more equal matches instead of forced matches which lets you win Vs weaker newer players then makes you lose Vs stronger older players. Which it does.

Soldato
Loot crates should be for nothing more than cosmetic items. Lets get back to the good old days of gaming when you actually had to put the hours in and work at it to progress.

Soldato
:(

So now we go back to overpriced DLC, map packs segmentation and the fan favourite of season passes?

Fail to see how that is a victory?

What are you on about.

RNG boxes for cash would be stomped on. The end of the world it is not.

So all you need to do is sell the exact same thing... but no gambling factor... X product or bundle will cost X.

Selling RNG for cash is gambling, removing the gambling is an excellent thing, especially when its encouraged with the bait of gaining game advantage.

Soldato
Let's take it all the way. Buying a game on PC is a gamble. It will either run okay or run like crap. Then games in general could either be okay or not and be unfinished and require DLC to get the full game experience. It's all a gamble these days. In destiny 2 you buy coins and gamble them away on bright engrams. Essentially loot boxes.

In fifa ultimate team one of the modes i spend most my time on you buy fifa coins and gamble them on pack openings. Countless games do this sorta thing.

Soldato
Let's take it all the way. Buying a game on PC is a gamble. It will either run okay or run like crap. Then games in general could either be okay or not and be unfinished and require DLC to get the full game experience. It's all a gamble these days. In destiny 2 you buy coins and gamble them away on bright engrams. Essentially loot boxes.

In fifa ultimate team one of the modes i spend most my time on you buy fifa coins and gamble them on pack openings. Countless games do this sorta thing.

One of these things you are talking about is gambling.

The other is not.

When you buy a product and you get the product that's a clean transaction.

When you buy a roll of the dice, that's gambling.

Don
What are you on about.
Isn't that exactly why Battlefront 2 dropped paid map packs - because they had an alternate revenue stream to subsidize any additional development - the fact that it backfired spectacularly is another matter.

RNG boxes for cash would be stomped on. The end of the world it is not.
It potentially could be the end of the world - games like CS Go have an entire real money economy built on a Random Number Generator, that collapses as soon as you remove the RNG from loot crates

So all you need to do is sell the exact same thing... but no gambling factor... X product or bundle will cost X.
So what do you suggest, just moving all in game "items" etc to the store with set prices? How does that help the Pay to Win argument?

Selling RNG for cash is gambling, removing the gambling is an excellent thing, especially when its encouraged with the bait of gaining game advantage.
Not sure how cosmetic items are an advantage?

Back
Top Bottom