Believe for more than you think

Soldato
There are a lot of people out there that are probably thinking they are 'stuck' in a particular job with a particular company. You might have got to a place where you think you are unable to move or do better than your current status.

Listen... you can. You may not think your skills are worth it, but they really are.

I started in IT with a job on the southwest of England with low rates of pay (good for area though). Now I'm a Senior Developer earning 3 to 4 times what I did previously in a Developer position. Both those times, I didn't even believe in myself, and couldn't really see my worth, so I had to put a smile on, do some basic practice and revision, and just go for it. My worth was far more than I thought it was, and I know there is better to come.

I encourage you to look around, and see what's out there, even if you flunk a few interviews, or make some mistakes. Learn from it, do better for the next one.

Good luck, and believe in yourself (even when you don't feel like it).

Caporegime
The more you progress the more you realise most people are just winging it anyway, I mean yes there are certain fields where you need a proven track record or some niche skills but those are few and far between.

Putting yourself out there, not being afraid to fail but having the humility to learn from your mistakes goes a long way.

Soldato
The more you progress the more you realise most people are just winging it anyway, I mean yes there are certain fields where you need a proven track record or some niche skills but those are few and far between.

Putting yourself out there, not being afraid to fail but having the humility to learn from your mistakes goes a long way.

Totally winging it every day :p Wouldn't have it any other way though

Man of Honour
The more you learn, the more you are made aware of what you don't know. It tends to only be ignorant folk who think they know it all.

Soldato
There are a lot of people out there that are probably thinking they are 'stuck' in a particular job with a particular company. You might have got to a place where you think you are unable to move or do better than your current status.

Listen... you can. You may not think your skills are worth it, but they really are.

I started in IT with a job on the southwest of England with low rates of pay (good for area though). Now I'm a Senior Developer earning 3 to 4 times what I did previously in a Developer position. Both those times, I didn't even believe in myself, and couldn't really see my worth, so I had to put a smile on, do some basic practice and revision, and just go for it. My worth was far more than I thought it was, and I know there is better to come.

I encourage you to look around, and see what's out there, even if you flunk a few interviews, or make some mistakes. Learn from it, do better for the next one.

How did you do that? Self taught or learning on the job? My aim now is to do what you have done, just some times I lack that self belief in myself and wouldn't know how to "back up" my knowledge.

Soldato
OP
How did you do that? Self taught or learning on the job? My aim now is to do what you have done, just some times I lack that self belief in myself and wouldn't know how to "back up" my knowledge.

A degree helps you get your foot in the door tbh with most places, I am not going to lie. But that is in IT. A lot of jobs are still just experience and skills. I still say put yourself out there, see what happens.

I actually left my last position after having enough of the targeted be from a colleague that the company did zero about. So I looked elsewhere.. got 10k more on top of what I expected. Stunning really. Sure, I got lucky at the right time.. but that only happened because I looked. (First interview in 5 years and they cancelled all other candidates). I am not bragging I am trying to get people to understand that even though I felt like trash, I still succeeded. You can to.

Soldato
A degree helps you get your foot in the door tbh with most places, I am not going to lie. But that is in IT. A lot of jobs are still just experience and skills. I still say put yourself out there, see what happens.

I actually left my last position after having enough of the targeted be from a colleague that the company did zero about. So I looked elsewhere.. got 10k more on top of what I expected. Stunning really. Sure, I got lucky at the right time.. but that only happened because I looked. (First interview in 5 years and they cancelled all other candidates). I am not bragging I am trying to get people to understand that even though I felt like trash, I still succeeded. You can to.

I have an IT Degree hopefully that helps.

Hopefully I can gain a but more experience.

Thanks it's given me a bit of hope!

Associate
I appreciate the words of encouragement OP - they seem particularly relevant to my frame of mind / feelings about my so-called career at the moment. Cheers!

Soldato
Echo what the OP said.

Get yourself out of your comfort zone and push yourself into roles that you wouldn't think of.

I progressed quite rapidly in my career, middle management after 3 years, and am now already looking for the next step into leadership.

Self belief and confidence can go a long way.

Soldato
Being made redundant was the best thing for me. I was too comfortable in a permanent role at a large multinational (12 years). A short 10 min drive, easy shift hours and relaxed work environment meant I wasn't too fussed about trying to earn more plus I didn't believe I could find another job even if I wanted to.

I had no experience of short term contracts but bills had to be paid and I took the first one offered. The next 5 years I moved from one contract to another, longest was 5 months, always left giving a weeks notice once the work didn't interest me anymore or I wasn't learning anything new. I learnt a lot during those contracting years, technical, people and negotiating skills but most of all it made me believe in myself.

You work for yourself and don't owe anyone anything, your company will let go of you tomorrow if they had to. If you don't get what want leave.

I've been in my permanent role now for nearly 4 years. There was a 5 month gap, I wanted a better work environment and a fairer pay rise which reflected the work I'd done. Both requests were met with the usual "hands are tied", I resigned and went to work for a company on a higher salary with better processes and training. I was asked by the previous (now current) employer to apply for a senior position where I would have more control, make the changes I wanted and on a higher salary. Attended the "interview" and offered the job on a salary which was only a bit higher than where I was and the lowest band in the grade. I asked for the max available, I was happy in my new role and felt bad leaving after just a few months plus the new senior role would come with a lot more responsibilities.

Still makes me smile, back then the salary increase was £500, I would have stayed for an extra £500 as I would have felt I'd asked and "won". And now I'm back in the same team, doing 80% of what I would have been doing had I not left but earning nearly £20k more.

But it's not all about the money, if I was offered an extra £10k now to leave and work for someone across the road I wouldn't. I work in a good team, we're all given respect, work on new and exciting projects and most days make a difference.

Soldato
Having been through the rigmarole of job applications recently I agree with the OP. It can be quite surprising if you have been in a role for a while how much you actually know and how well interviews may go.

Due to various things at my current job, I recently applied for half a dozen plus jobs, had interviews for the majority of them and great feedback from all of those (and even from one who didn't want to interview me) ... and I was expecting nothing at all.

I am currently working my notice period having accepted a job elsewhere for a 25% payrise and the ability to work with technologies my current company would not let me use.

Soldato

Not quite on the exact same topic but i think this is fitting here too.

I Have a very basic education ( a few gcses ) flunked school, skipped college and worked in plastics factories for the last 8 years with the occasional bit of work around carbon fiber products. Always had a enjoyment for computing and recently started university(open) to study for a degree in programming. I never for the life of me thought i was smart enough or that i would even qualify to be a student, let alone studying something like this! but it is the first time i have enjoyed studying. I know the further i progress through the modules the more doors will be opened to work within the IT industry and im so glad that i have taken the leap!

Soldato
OP
Not quite on the exact same topic but i think this is fitting here too.

I Have a very basic education ( a few gcses ) flunked school, skipped college and worked in plastics factories for the last 8 years with the occasional bit of work around carbon fiber products. Always had a enjoyment for computing and recently started university(open) to study for a degree in programming. I never for the life of me thought i was smart enough or that i would even qualify to be a student, let alone studying something like this! but it is the first time i have enjoyed studying. I know the further i progress through the modules the more doors will be opened to work within the IT industry and im so glad that i have taken the leap!

That is awesome

Soldato
Having been through the rigmarole of job applications recently I agree with the OP. It can be quite surprising if you have been in a role for a while how much you actually know and how well interviews may go.

Due to various things at my current job, I recently applied for half a dozen plus jobs, had interviews for the majority of them and great feedback from all of those (and even from one who didn't want to interview me) ... and I was expecting nothing at all.

I am currently working my notice period having accepted a job elsewhere for a 25% payrise and the ability to work with technologies my current company would not let me use.
Similar situation for me, had 6 face to face interviews since Christmas, started a new role today which has a 33% pay rise along with (on first impressions) a more simple job, but with vastly better progression opportunities.

I'm 5 years into an IT career and have put 50% on top of my starting wage - I fully expect to be adding another 25% on top (to 175% of my starting wage) within the next 12-18 months. I'd say my high (but still doable) aim is to be at 200% of my initial wage within 2 years from now - that also gets me to target I've had in my career since my early twenties, which is to have my salary match my age :D

I got 5 GCSE's at grade D or below, did 8 years in Financial services (starting out in call centres), a year as a poorly paid delivery driver, then a complete change of career into IT 5 years ago.

Associate

Completely and unanimously agree. Used to be terrified of other people; but now, after some moving around, don't give a second thought to starting a job which I'm scared will be too difficult.
You'll probably work it out if you put a few hours into it, especially if you have a high level vauge idea but not a specific idea of what you're doing.

Underboss
complete change of career into IT 5 years ago.

Similar to me, left the prison service and took a big pay cut to start at the bottom in the Civil Sevice in IT.

5 years, 3 promotions and I’ve just accepted a job which is Private Sector IT.

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

It’s weird how quickly things can escalate.

5 years ago I left a job at 27k, after landing a job that a mate had spotted on LinkedIn. Never forget his message to me over WhatsApp... “check this out, it’s local for you”.

I jumped in to a leadership role on 41k overnight. For 3 years I’d been building up loads of qualifications and experience and decided that I’d take a casual look at what’s around.

I changed my LinkedIn job status to “not looking but open to offers” and immediately got an interview for a role at 110k.

What hit it home was the checks and prep that I had to do when I handed in my notice. Part of the process was getting a 5 year proof of job history... seeing the jumps in 5 years was eye opening and proof that if you get the right job that exposes you to the right things then employers will be chucking themselves at you.

FYI, I’m not in IT :p

Soldato
Started a course last year that had 2 exams and a practical test. I passed the practical first time but it took 3 attempts to pass both exams. Frustrating at the time as you had to wait 3 month's to find out if you passed and then having to wait a month or two to get the resit. Found out I passed a couple weeks ago, I'm over the moon and has definitely have me more confidence to try more harder courses that will benefit me.
Never been academic at all, don't have GCSE,s and gave up on a lot of evening courses in the past.
Definitely glad I stuck at it, might sound silly but it's made my outlook more positive when it comes to study and my career.

Associate
The more you progress the more you realize most people are just winging it anyway, I mean yes there are certain fields where you need a proven track record or some niche skills but those are few and far between.

Still learning this I think 95% of people who do almost any job are not actually that trained or skilled in actually doing it, there's a sort of unwritten rulebook of unspoken mediocrity where everyone supports everyone else's shoddiness if only to survive with their own. Bonjeur Paresse was the classic for this, sardonically educating us how to do a minimum amount of work, still though if you can break free of the social conditioning even for a month, what we are actually capable of and what we could be doing is always far, far more that what we are actually doing now. So I work to be free of work so I can really work. Did also make a noble effort to try and make myself somehow more intelligent using aptitude tests things like https://www.wikijob.co.uk/, I'm not there yet but have made a career changes and things are moving upward month on month. That's my story anyway, good luck one and all.

Back
Top Bottom