Bell wire in consumer unit - against regs or dangerous?

Permabanned
Hi

I recently installed a Nest hello doorbell and used one of the transformers that fits in to the CU. The transformer is fed from a lighting MCB using 2.5 mm2 singles that I took from some T&E. The output from the transformer is bell wire and exits the CU in to a small bit of trunking before going through a partition wall.

By chance was watching a sparky youtube today and he mentioned you shouldn't have bell wire in the CU. Is this against regs and or particularly dangerous? If so, what is the danger? I guess the best solution would be to run some T&E out of the transformer to a fuse and then bell wire out of there to the doorbell and chime?

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
Id at the very least be putting it in some trunking or conduit. I thought the cable should be double insulated. The output from the transformer wont be 240v ac in any case will it? Also wouldnt this be classed as a new circuit so essentially notifiable?

Ive been following a few sparkies on YT aswel, it seems orifices should be inacessible to finger, so where ever the cable is exiting, you shouldnt be able to get your fingers in etc.

Soldato
Long story short. You're fine. If you wanted to do it tip top you could wire it in single core from the load side of the transformer to a 1 gang pattress with a blank plate and connect to the bell cable from there. It's mainly to do with insulation/interference of the cabling but for such a small distance I wouldn't bother.

Back
Top Bottom