Benefits of Server 2019 VM for small office

Ish

Ish

Associate
Hi All

The scenario is a small office with 8 clients pcs and one Dell server. What is the benefits if any of installing Server 2019 Standard as a VM on the server VS doing a bare metal install?

Soldato
The main benefit for such a small installation to be virtualised is scalability, you can add additional VMs going forward should you grow and have other requirements. The other is separation of roles, what do you plan on putting on this server? That would give us more indication of any potential benefits.

Soldato
The main benefit for such a small installation to be virtualised is scalability, you can add additional VMs going forward should you grow and have other requirements. The other is separation of roles, what do you plan on putting on this server? That would give us more indication of any potential benefits.

Speed of reboots would be a definate plus :D

Soldato
Speed of reboots would be a definate plus :D

Yeah, I kind of thought that anyone looking at virtualising a single server platform wouldn't have huge swathes of ECC RAM to do a POST on each time haha - unlike the fact that I was having to reboot SR650s with 1.5TB RAM every few days not long ago, what a nightmare that was waiting for the POST.

Soldato
Yeah, I kind of thought that anyone looking at virtualising a single server platform wouldn't have huge swathes of ECC RAM to do a POST on each time haha - unlike the fact that I was having to reboot SR650s with 1.5TB RAM every few days not long ago, what a nightmare that was waiting for the POST.

Yeah, I have felt the pain on many occassion. We have a cluster of dell blades with large amounts of ram, and rebooting them takes forever.

Ish

Ish

Associate
OP

It is just used for AD, print/file server.

Soldato
It is just used for AD, print/file server.

If you have the capability, resources and licenses I would virtualize it and create a secondary server as if you only have one of these servers and it goes down then it's going to be a pain in the rear, even with backups restoring a DC doesn't always go to plan.

Associate
It's all down to cost. If it's one server install bare metal, if you go virtual you need backups and alsorts and cannot justify with only 8 users.

Soldato
Ad is a good idea in a larger company or if you need uber security.. For an average company with less than 10 staff go for a shared drive on a windows workstation.. assuming you just want a shared drive anyone can access..

Soldato
Ad is a good idea in a larger company or if you need uber security.. For an average company with less than 10 staff go for a shared drive on a windows workstation.. assuming you just want a shared drive anyone can access..

From post #7 it looks like they already have AD setup etc, but I may be wrong.

Ish

Ish

Associate
OP
If you just have 8 staff how have you determined that you need a server and associated licensing?

As a registered charity we get a massive discount on Microsoft Server.

We actually already have the bare metal install of 2019 with all the server roles I mentioned and have no issues but I saw that someone who has a very similar setup to us have a server with Server 2019 installed as the o/s and then a Server 2019 VM for all the roles I mentioned which made me wonder what the benefits of doing it this way was.

Associate
As a registered charity we get a massive discount on Microsoft Server.

We actually already have the bare metal install of 2019 with all the server roles I mentioned and have no issues but I saw that someone who has a very similar setup to us have a server with Server 2019 installed as the o/s and then a Server 2019 VM for all the roles I mentioned which made me wonder what the benefits of doing it this way was.

advantage of a VM is you can back up the entire OS and restore is often much easier than baremetal restores if something was to go wrong. However hosting it on a hypervisor adds complexity and you need to take into account additional risk.

You could use 2019 on baremetal and run other 2019 vms within that

Back
Top Bottom