** BENQ BL3200PT 32" 2560x1440 AMVA MONITOR NOW AVAILABLE!! **

Associate
This thread seems to be pretty quiet...but I bought one of these this week. Really impressed with it, big big monitor and nowhere near as overwhelming as I thought it might be for desktop work.

Associate
This thread seems to be pretty quiet...but I bought one of these this week. Really impressed with it, big big monitor and nowhere near as overwhelming as I thought it might be for desktop work.

About to hit the buy button, but I'm hearing about flicker issues with certain batches, I want to see if OCuks batch is okay. Can you do this quick test please (from another forum, not sure if i'm allowed to link)....

This works reproducibly:
http://www.gdargaud.net/Hack/DeadPixel/GreenMagenta.html

Just open a browser window with that and leave it in windowed mode covering only a portion of the desktop, then try dragging it around. If it flickers only INSIDE the browser window then it's fine (my Samsung T260HD does that too) but if it causes a brighter flash/crosshatch pattern outside the window, it's not.

For me I get the "flashing"/strobe effect when scrolling across or moving light colored backgrounds like that dead pixel test and certain games.

Last edited:
Associate
I think the models affected with the 'flashing' problem had manufacturing dates of July/August/September so if OcUK has any monitors manufactured in October it would be good to know if this problem has been fixed.

Can someone at OcUK Please run the panel test mentioned above and post their findings?

A few of us are ready to order if you can guarantee the latest batches don't have these problems :)

Associate
No idea of the manufacturing date of mine...but it's perfect. Flashing only inside of the window.

Oh and it's so refreshing having no backlight bleed.... :)

Associate
Picked the BenQ BL3200PT up a few days ago (Sep build date) and it's going straight back. Had no backlight leakage, very good uniform whites, no flickering issues and no dead pixels. But it had extremely bad vertical banding (looked like vertical window blinds), it went from light, dark, light, dark, light. It was extremely easy to see, even just dragging a folder around, and panning in games was horrible.

Wasn't happy with colours either (no matter how many settings I changed), it was going to replace my LG 1080p 32" TV that uses IPS (LG 32LN575V). Compared to the Benq BL3200PT (at least the one I had), my TV has much more vivid colours, deeper blacks, better viewing angles and no banding at all. Do miss the higher res and crisper text though.

Build quality on the BL3200PT was very good though.

I am tempted in the LG UM95, never had 21:9 before and in every photo I see it looks amazing for games.

Associate
No idea of the manufacturing date of mine...but it's perfect. Flashing only inside of the window.

Thanks mate, what about this banding he's talking about below ?

Picked the BenQ BL3200PT up a few days ago (Sep build date) and it's going straight back.

Why can't these manufacturers get it right, even the LG um 95 has issues.

Associate
Radeon123 - are you going to try another BenQ BL3200PT or have you ruled it out completely? I think you got a bad panel and from what I've read I'd try another one before giving up on it completely.

Associate
Wasn't happy with colours either (no matter how many settings I changed), it was going to replace my LG 1080p 32" TV that uses IPS (LG 32LN575V). Compared to the Benq BL3200PT (at least the one I had), my TV has much more vivid colours, deeper blacks, better viewing angles and no banding at all. Do miss the higher res and crisper text though.
You're quite right to send it back, you've definitely got a bad panel there. A correctly functioning BL3200PT has a black level far lower than any IPS panel can achieve.

These August/Sept batches do seem to be a bit hit-and-miss. My BenQ was made in March and is perfect, no banding, no flashing, deep blacks and great colours. Hopefully future batches will get back to that standard.

Associate
Radeon123 - are you going to try another BenQ BL3200PT or have you ruled it out completely? I think you got a bad panel and from what I've read I'd try another one before giving up on it completely.

As much as I liked the screen I am going to rule this one out, even if I do get a flawless one, I just wasn't happy with the colours. Flesh tones just looked much nicer on my TV than they did on the BL3200PT.

I have had a few different 2560x1440 screens over that last 2yrs and I always seem to have an issue for some reason, they either have really bad backlight bleeding or an uneven tint, such as a reddish/yellowish on one side, pure white on the other.

Yet whenever I ever I try a TV as a monitor they are fine. Really annoying.

I have had an LG 27EA83, but that had a yellowish top left corner, as well as bleeding (tried two screens, same issue), dragging white windows around and having it change tints was annoying. And as proof, here is the LG 27EA83 I had last year.

Tried a Dell U2713H, same panel as the LG but had backlight bleeding. Also had an Asus PB278Q, uneven whites on this one.

Even tried an Iiyama Prolite XB2779QS, my god, that had incredible backlight bleeding in bright daylight.

This is why I am using a TV as monitor, two LG 32LN575V out of the box and they are perfect.

I must be extremely unlucky when it comes to screens.

Here are current my two current 32" LG TV's and apart from being 1080p, they make really nice PC screens.

The right one has been overexposed a bit, they look tiny in this photo.

All I want is a 32" IPS screen at 2560x1440 with great even colours and no backlight bleeding, not asking much. Considering all these monitors are around the £500 mark, these issues are ridiculous. Yet a cheap £250 IPS TV blows these monitors out of the water when it comes to panel quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate

Smurfin - did you get your 'good' monitor from OcUk? I'm trying to find a retailer that has good stock as the previous 3 I've purchased have all been faulty with the same banding and flickering issue :(

Associate
Mine did come from OCUK. But I have a dilemna.

Mine has a scratch on the rear of the unit. It's not big, about 3" long, but it's there and things like that bug me. OCUK have offered to replace this, but I'm not sure whether to:

a. Keep this because there are no issues with this panel other than some VERY faint banding (and I'm being REALLY picky, only noticeable on a grey background).

b. Send it back and risk getting a problem panel.

c. Send it back anyway and get a refund....because I'm sitting here thinking "this is nice...BUT..." erm...it's a bit small? Let me put that into context - 32" feels like a big screen, but I'm used to the pixel pitch of a 27" 1440p panel. So maybe I should just wait and get the Philips 40" 4k when it finally comes up for pre-order?

I also need to do more testing on twitch shooters, as I've only played for a few minutes on BF4 etc.

Associate
Edit: scratch my previous comments...I just tried one of the tests, made the window a bit bigger and the whole screen does indeed flicker.

Associate
Right, just read the thread over on another forum about this monitor, and I wondered if someone could do a quick test on Arma III?

Start any mission on the single player campaign, and shoot one of your guys to fail the mission. When you do this on my screen horrible flickering occurs. Urgh :(

Associate
It's a real problem isn't it. The original monitors BenQ manufactured in March didn't do this, only those made since July seem to have the problem which makes you wonder what changed?

I seem to remember someone saying on one of the forums that if you change the Sharpness level to Level 1 then run that test linked in post #84 that the problem then doesn't appear - can you check that Smurf?

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmmmm. I tried that test in post 84,and while I wouldn't say it flickered, it did change the brightness across the screen until I click away. That is with the Sammy by the way.

What does that mean for real world usage? If the only time I see that is for that test, I couldn't care less, but if it could show itself in real usage, that could be a problem.

Have only played some titanfall, bf4 and alien isolation, so not sure if it could show up in others...

Edit: just reread post 84, and didn't actually drag the window so not sure if I have any flicker now. I suspect I won't though. Hopefully.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom