Benq w2700 HDR Problem (from bad to worse, am I just unlucky?)

Soldato
Hello,

Swapped my Optoma UHD51 for the Benq w2700, no issue with a light boarder! However, I have a potential bigger problem, HDR seems broken...

Whenever HDR is turned on (automatic) it completely ruins the image including the projector menu.

This happens with playback from a 4k Bluray via my XBOX One S and my content on Plex via a Nvidia Shield TV, these all worked fine with the Optoma UGD51. I don't know if I'm very unlucky and have a dud or if I'm missing something? I've tried playing with picture mode and picture settings to no avail the picture is still orange and "blocky" with HDR on...

As you can see the picture is yellow and this even affects the menu, any thoughts, a setting I'm overlooking or do you think this is a hardware issue? The Benq is also loud, it seems to be at 100% all the time, my other projectors have always sounded much louder when switching off, the Benq is just as loud when playing as it is when it shuts down, anyone know if that's "normal" with Benq's? It does look great in standard colour...

My issue with the UHD51

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/projector-issue-beam-of-light-off-screen.18869347/

Soldato
OP
It won’t be the cause, but any reason why you’re outputting at 24 / 30bit from the Shield?

I did manually try almost different combination of outputs from the Shield (there aren't many you can actually change, like you say it made no difference), I think the one I above is set to auto...starting to think this is a hardware fault...anyone back that up..looks like another trip to RicherSounds?

Soldato
Have you tried a different HDMI cable? I know plenty will claim that the cable should either work or not work but in my experience trying to run a 4K HDR signal (i.e. the most demanding) can sometimes flake out on sub standard cables.

As an example, I have a fiber optic HDMI to my Optoma UHD40 which I added a right angle HDMI connector to... this worked perfectly for every device at 4K HDR except for the PS4 Pro, which exhibited sparkling lines and flashes every so often! So IMO HDMI can be quite fickle.

Soldato
OP
Have you tried a different HDMI cable? I know plenty will claim that the cable should either work or not work but in my experience trying to run a 4K HDR signal (i.e. the most demanding) can sometimes flake out on sub standard cables.

As an example, I have a fiber optic HDMI to my Optoma UHD40 which I added a right angle HDMI connector to... this worked perfectly for every device at 4K HDR except for the PS4 Pro, which exhibited sparkling lines and flashes every so often! So IMO HDMI can be quite fickle.

Good suggestion, I haven't (as its on the ceiling) but as the Optoma worked a couple of days ago (HDR) I can't see that been the issue, I did try both inputs on the Benq with the same result...about to call RicherSounds as the manager (the projector expert) wasn't in earlier...guess I'll have to return it and let them test it...

Soldato
OP
It won’t be the cause, but any reason why you’re outputting at 24 / 30bit from the Shield?

Just had another look at this, the Shield is outputting both pictures the first is in the menu of Plex the second is playing the movie, during playback it auto changes to suite the movie (why it's auto changes to 23 Hz), with HDR off it's fine, with HDR on it's as shown (yellow and green).

Spoke to the manager at RS's and will take it back to be tested and replaced if required...

Soldato
OP
Update, tried the in built media player and a USB 4k HDR file, same problem, this rules out a faulty HDMI (the file played fine with the UHD51)..

Back to RS's...

Soldato
OP
4th time's the charm! New Benq w2700 and all seems well...

I've noticed this one has firmware 1.0.2 installed, the latest you can get from Benq's website, the one I had the problems with came with 1.0.3 installed, obviously can't be sure but maybe that's the issue...anyway all sorted now and an really happy with the w2700 colours are the best I've seen...

Associate
My recently purchased model got the exact same problem. Same off-colors in HDR mode. Seems like a bad batch. Sounds like here that there's no fix but to replace it with a new unit.

Associate
This is not a faulty. I believe it was the calibration setting from factory. 3 times exchange from richersound and they all have the same issue. But the problem gone when i hit reset in the picture setting (individually at each hdmi and USB port). Hope this help.

Soldato
OP
Same problem here, also from Richer Sounds. Funnily enough the seal was broken on receipt... Firmware is also 1.03..wonder if I got your returned one!

Did you get it form the Stockport branch?

This is not a faulty. I believe it was the calibration setting from factory. 3 times exchange from richersound and they all have the same issue. But the problem gone when i hit reset in the picture setting (individually at each hdmi and USB port). Hope this help.

Does sound like 1.03 is the problem, mine is still on 1.02, may update to 1.5.

How is the nose level on yours? Mine has got a little quieter over a the last couple of weeks but it's like a jet plane sometimes!

Associate
Did you get it form the Stockport branch?
Ordered online so could have come from anywhere originally...

How is the nose level on yours? Mine has got a little quieter over a the last couple of weeks but it's like a jet plane sometimes
I don't notice it over the sound of whatever I'm watchig except in very quiet scenes. To be honest most of the time I have headphones on as kids are usually in bed by the time the projector goes on!

Associate
Thanks a lot man! This one simple action did make the problem go away! Now I can truly enjoy this wonderful projector.

Back
Top Bottom