BenQ XL2410 120Hz 3D LED official thread

Soldato
*Updated after calibration*
Small amount of back light bleed around edges. The most at the bottom. I haven't taken the monitor apart yet to try and correct this.

Hi Vega,

I opened mine up to look at the backlight bleed. Very simple to do. I basically found that the bleed isnt coming around the edge :(. As it employs edge led lighting, the strength of the led around the edge is enough to shine brighter through the diffuser and screen.

So, I wondering what else I could do. I expected it to be a seal problem, alas no. It's almost like I would need to add an extra thin diffuser around the edge to supplement the existing one to block out the extra light which the current diffuser doesnt evenly pass out. (i.e bighter around the edges)

Have you had alook yet?

Last edited:
Associate
Now also noticed that when playing games the interlacing can be seen when moving or panning around on the whole screen. Keeping still it only shows on the left hand side as per my previous comments. Can someone else confirm if they see this interlacing @120hz in a game if they pan around?

Just for reference i've noticed people have had similar issues with other 120hz monitors...

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=17824645&postcount=13
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=18097152&postcount=9
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=16751019&postcount=1

Its being sent back as faulty, i will probably give the Asus 120hz a go instead.

Associate
Hello,

Someone has managed to turn the screen 100hertz (not 120hertz) 640 * 480. I managed to set 100hertz in 1920 but not below.
Yet I create a custom resolution in the Nvidia control panel, but when I put myself in the resolution (640 * 480 @ 100hz), the image appears fine but with a message of the monitor: "Out of range! "
This is strange because the image is displayed well in the background.
My OS is Windows XP SP3, I have the latest nvidia drivers.

Can you help me?

Thx

Soldato
Just a quick note for competitive gamers here.

I've spoken to a top tier quaker who's tried one of these at the Dreamhack lan and he tells me that the samsung SM2233RZ 120hz (and obviously viewsonic 22" variant also) are still noticably more responsive than this benq.

I'm pretty gutted by this news!

Game in question / tested was quakelive but obviously it'd apply to all. I've no doubt it'd be fantastic for 99% of buyers though but thought for some this may be worth posting.

Associate
Just a quick note for competitive gamers here.

I've spoken to a top tier quaker who's tried one of these at the Dreamhack lan and he tells me that the samsung SM2233RZ 120hz (and obviously viewsonic 22" variant also) are still noticably more responsive than this benq.

I'm pretty gutted by this news!

Game in question / tested was quakelive but obviously it'd apply to all. I've no doubt it'd be fantastic for 99% of buyers though but thought for some this may be worth posting.

I tested 2233RZ Samsung, ViewSonic and BenQ 2268 XL2410T in 640 * 480 @ 120Hz in Counter-Strike. XL2410T BenQ has better performance.
Anyway, the difference between all the screens is not in performance in the game because it is not significantly noticeable, it's quite the contrast, colors, ergonomics and connectivity that make the difference .

Soldato
Samsung are soon to launch some worthy successors to the SM2233RZ. Your friends experiences would depend on conent (Quake Live) and context (his system which will differ to everyone elses). QuakeLive is hardly the best test as it's an unusual game that runs using browser plugins, if I recall correctly. There were some noted issues with this on ATI hardware I seem to remember.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think this monitor is great for gaming still

Backligh is bugging me slightly in dark scenes of films, otherwise its smooth and a pleasant image.

THinking of getting a 42'' plasma for my room though to watch stuff in bed, is that overkill?:D

Soldato
Depends how much you were going to spend on it. The prices of plasma screens are pretty decent at the moment and they are great when viewed from that kind of distance. I'd go for it if you have the money and have nothing better to spend it on. :p

Soldato
I tested 2233RZ Samsung, ViewSonic and BenQ 2268 XL2410T in 640 * 480 @ 120Hz in Counter-Strike. XL2410T BenQ has better performance.
Anyway, the difference between all the screens is not in performance in the game because it is not significantly noticeable, it's quite the contrast, colors, ergonomics and connectivity that make the difference .

Not being funny, why would game at that res....are you gaming the same way you did in 2001? With this in mind, I play at a relatively high level of TF2 so I am interested in more high res with widescreen mode.

As for Samsung 2233RZ vs BenQ ...I am yet to see someone with the BenQ though the 2233RZ was impressive. PCM2 - Any eta on the successor to 2233RZ?

Mike

Last edited:
Soldato
Afraid not - this is pretty much all that is known at the moment. I would hope for it/them to be released by the end of this quarter but I'd take that with a pinch of salt. Their PR team will let me know as soon as they have any further information. Hopefully availability will be known shortly.

Soldato
don't wanna hijack but was thinking of this one:

Samsung PS42C450 42-inch 600Hz Widescreen HD Ready Plasma TV

it's 720p but got great reviews.
However I may regret it if I wanna game with xbox controller in bed I can only run games at 720 not 1080...

hmm price went up, was a steal earlier at £375

Associate
Not being funny, why would game at that res....are you gaming the same way you did in 2001? With this in mind, I play at a relatively high level of TF2 so I am interested in more high res with widescreen mode.

As for Samsung 2233RZ vs BenQ ...I am yet to see someone with the BenQ though the 2233RZ was impressive. PCM2 - Any eta on the successor to 2233RZ?

Mike

Counter Strike(1.6) can't support high resolution(Half Life 1), and 640*480 is the better resolution, but in 120hz the image is blur at long distance and sharp at small distance.

nobody for 100hz in 640*480 ?? :D

Soldato
don't wanna hijack but was thinking of this one:

Samsung PS42C450 42-inch 600Hz Widescreen HD Ready Plasma TV

it's 720p but got great reviews.
However I may regret it if I wanna game with xbox controller in bed I can only run games at 720 not 1080...

hmm price went up, was a steal earlier at £375

Yeah I was thinking of getting that one for my parents living room actually. I don't think many Xbox 360 games make use of 1080i anyway and there is some upscaling involved (which the TV should handle fine). I think it will look great for Xbox games to be honest.

Associate

Mike

I play css at 800x600 its down to personal preference. If you played back in 2001 and your used to the low resolution during that time then why change if its working for you.

Soldato
Having an issue with my BenQ.

After 3D gaming the monitor is stuck on '3D mode'

So watching stuff afterward the backlight bleeding is even more pronounced as the monitor is stuck on 100% brightness.

In normal use now I have it at 30%.

Any ideas why it stays on 3D mode? you can't even change it in the service menu...

@PCM2 yeh I am sorely tempted by the samsung but wonder if the panasonic panels would be the ones to go for?
Is there much in it between the two brands?

Associate
Received one yesterday and given all the negative comments I was expecting the worst, but it's really not bad. The default settings were horrible but after a play round it looks great, blacks look allot darker on this compared to my old 2407WFP yet the desktop looks much brighter, will take some getting used too but settings could probably still use some tweaking.

For gaming it's fantastic though, 120hz really does make a difference and you can feel it straight away.

Also tried some 3d gaming but didn't have very long to test that, was working fine though and very easy to setup.

Having an issue with my BenQ.
After 3D gaming the monitor is stuck on '3D mode'?
It did that to me once last night but just started the 3d test in the nvidia control panel and when I returned to desktop again it changed back.

Maybe it's a driver bug, is the change done automatically by the monitor or is it controlled by the drivers from nvidia?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom