Berlin - What to do?

Man of Honour
I'm off to Berlin tomorrow with the wife for one of our WWII breaks so where is there to go over 3 full days?
Obviously will do Hitler's car park, Checkpoint Charlie, Brandenburg Gate etc but what other interesting places are there to go?
Will also accept non WWII suggestions.
Any good places to go in the evening, we love food and rock music?

Thanks for your time.

Dave

Associate
The Berlin Wall Memorial in Bernauer Strasse is well worth a visit, spent a few hours in the visitors centre a truly staggering part of history. Would recommend it over the East Side Gallery, most of the artwork is in a sorry state these days.

Soldato
Actually thought check point charlie was increadibly dissapointing. But walk along the river by thier goverment buildings and theres loads of fantastic restaraunts.

Also make sure you try a currywurst :)

Soldato
I'm off to Berlin tomorrow with the wife for one of our WWII breaks so where is there to go over 3 full days?
Obviously will do Hitler's car park, Checkpoint Charlie, Brandenburg Gate etc but what other interesting places are there to go?

Thanks for your time.

Dave
I actually watched this yest on TV, it has a lot of things to do in Berlin, i good watch to.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b079w1jx/rick-steins-long-weekends-3-berlin

Man of Honour
OP
Associate
Hitler's car park / bunker..... That'll take up all of 2 minutes of your day! :D

We did a 3 hour Segway tour and covered all what you mentioned and more. Got told more on the history of each place and Segways are great fun! It was well worth it IMO.
If it interests you, do something like this on your first day as you then get to know the layout of the city a lot better then take your time on foot the rest of the days you're there. Possibly go back to places that you'd like to spend more time at.

Associate
There's a museum of communism in the East which was hilarious. I've no idea whether any of it was supposed to be tongue in cheek, but came across that way. <EDIT> https://www.ddr-museum.de/en

Tracing the old Berlin Wall and the remaining guard towers was good as well (though not many left).

Also Alexanderplatz for the tower is well worth it.

Associate
We spent 5 days in Berlin a couple of years ago, it was excellent.

The Stasi museum is excellent, get an U-bahn train from Alexanderplatz on U5 line, the place is awesome, pure cold war nostalgia. http://www.stasimuseum.de/en/enindex.htm If you are lucky, there maybe old time Stasi sympathiser there telling their stories, countering the tour guides.

Also head to museum island, if galleries and museums are your thing The Egyptian collection in Neues Museum was superb. http://www.smb.museum/en/museums-institutions/museumsinsel-berlin/home.html

We stayed in the Mitte area, we stayed at the Radisson Blu hotel next to Museum Island, great hotel and amazingly €90 a night.

Soldato
It's worth going out to Orainienberg to see the concentration camp, very sobering experience especially so near the capital.

And on a lighter note the Zoologisher Garten zoo is brilliant.

Permabanned
Thank you so much, I can see us doing at least a couple of these.

Thanks for the other suggestions.
Definitely do the general 'Free Tour of Berlin' (bringing cash to tip the guide, of course). It's several hours long and covers a lot of the city centre.

If you're into historic buildings, take a half-day trip to Potsdam. The palaces are unlike anything we have in this country.

The Yorckschlösschen is a really good pub/jazz bar for the evening.

Soldato
There's plenty as already listed, depends what you're after really.

Checkpoint Charlie is crap though, just a couple of dudes posing in costume in the middle of a busy road surrounded by tourist tat shops. Kinda out the way as well, so many better and more interesting things to see.

Associate

Thanks for your time.

Dave

Museum Island, I went to the Neue Museum which was good, the others look decent too.
The outdoor Eastside Gallery.
Topographie of Terror.
Reichstag building

Back
Top Bottom