best 1080p 144hz monitor?

Associate
best 1080p 144hz monitor?
i have 2 970s
4790k Oc to 4.6

playing mass effect currently but play a lot of overwatch and heard 144hz makes a lot of difference as opposed to 60hz ( lol fml)
i play other fps like bf1 also

could anyone name a good monitor ( if it has to have G sync please say) otherwise im open to any monitor

i did like the look of the samsung VA panel https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sams...tum-dot-widescreen-led-monitor-mo-230-sa.html

if i need to buy a new card i will but just want to see everyoen throguht son a monitor currently

Associate
I have the Samsung va that you listed and think it's the best. I always wanted a monitor with a va panel and this one is just good enough for me to accept.

The colors are very rich and the black depth is very deep. It has a high contrast ratio as well.

Another reason why I love it is because of the non perceivable back light bleed and clouding.
This is essential for me when playing darkly lit games such a space and horror games or when gaming at night with the lights off.

This alone has ruined the tn experience for me.

The next one is the Viewsonic XG2401 which I have tested and advised my brother to buy.

It's a tn panel but has very good motion handling.

Those two are the best 24 inch monitors for gaming in my opinion.

I wouldn't pay the premium for gsync on a 24 inch.

If I were going for gsync then I would just go 27 inch 1440p.

Associate
OP
I have the Samsung va that you listed and think it's the best. I always wanted a monitor with a va panel and this one is just good enough for me to accept.

The colors are very rich and the black depth is very deep. It has a high contrast ratio as well.

Another reason why I love it is because of the non perceivable back light bleed and clouding.
This is essential for me when playing darkly lit games such a space and horror games or when gaming at night with the lights off.

This alone has ruined the tn experience for me.

The next one is the Viewsonic XG2401 which I have tested and advised my brother to buy.

It's a tn panel but has very good motion handling.

Those two are the best 24 inch monitors for gaming in my opinion.

I wouldn't pay the premium for gsync on a 24 inch.

If I were going for gsync then I would just go 27 inch 1440p.

i read a lot and people said at 144hz it basically fixes all the tearing and bugs etc anyways

will get the VA i think its the best choice then maybe upgrade to VEGA anyways :) thanks for the advice

Associate
Just as a heads-up:

1) G-Sync and FreeSync really do make a difference, so indeed, you should set it as a requirement, if you're gaming. Same goes for 144Hz.

2) But in case of nVidia cards, you'd have to go with G-Sync, which will cost £100-300 more. Why? Because "reasons". Alternatively, purchase a FreeSync and live without the variable refresh rate feature until nVidia loses the standard war (which already seems likely) and starts supporting FreeSync (which might not happen immediately), or until you purchase a new AMD GPU.

3) While VA will give better blacks and won't have any IPS glow or TN's color inversion and washed-out colors, it will have higher pixel response time, which can cause "motion smearing". Some VA panels are very horrendous with it, while others are fairly OK for most users. But you'll definitely have to check reviews first. If it's 144Hz, it's most probably quite safe. With the current offerings, VA monitors seem to have more consistent quality control.

4) For gaming, lower resolution means you'll have more horsepower for more FPS and/or eye-candy, and at the same time postpone the need for a new GPU purchase.

I myself have the Acer XZ321Q, which is
- 32"
- 144Hz
- 1080p
- FreeSync
- VA (curved)

Here's a quote from another thread, which clarifies my thoughts:
Here's my own review from December:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/acer-xz321q-user-review.18759831/

So indeed, I'm loving mine (I especially like the FreeSync). There is always some variance on the panels, but be sure to check out my color settings as a starting point (inside the spoiler in the review thread).

But like I said in the review: for most people 32" is too big for 1920x1080, mainly because regular desk sizes force the monitor so close to you. So let's hope you have enough desk depth. Then again, for an optimal viewing comfort, you should always try to set the viewing distance at 1.0-1.5x the monitor's diagonal size (in the case of 32": 2.7-4.0ft). Personally, I would have preferred 42" for 1920x1080, as I have a VERY big desk. :D

I paid 500€ (~£440, I think?) for mine in Finland. At the time of the review, it was £430 at OcUK, then it rose to £480. Currently it's on sale for £350, so it's definitely a good bargain.

For comparison, the G-Sync variant Z321Q of this monitor is also on sale for £650 (normally £870). Gotta love that £300-£400 nVidia tax premium... Because who wouldn't want to pay double for the G-Sync? :D
Apparently they have now lowered the G-Sync variant's price permanently to £650, so the difference is only £170, anymore. (at least until they decide to lower the FreeSync variant, too)

But in any case, if you have the deskspace, I would certainly recommend 32" or bigger. For regular desks, 27" seems like a more sensible option.

Associate
OP
Just as a heads-up:

1) G-Sync and FreeSync really do make a difference, so indeed, you should set it as a requirement, if you're gaming. Same goes for 144Hz.

2) But in case of nVidia cards, you'd have to go with G-Sync, which will cost £100-300 more. Why? Because "reasons". Alternatively, purchase a FreeSync and live without the variable refresh rate feature until nVidia loses the standard war (which already seems likely) and starts supporting FreeSync (which might not happen immediately), or until you purchase a new AMD GPU.

3) While VA will give better blacks and won't have any IPS glow or TN's color inversion and washed-out colors, it will have higher pixel response time, which can cause "motion smearing". Some VA panels are very horrendous with it, while others are fairly OK for most users. But you'll definitely have to check reviews first. If it's 144Hz, it's most probably quite safe. With the current offerings, VA monitors seem to have more consistent quality control.

4) For gaming, lower resolution means you'll have more horsepower for more FPS and/or eye-candy, and at the same time postpone the need for a new GPU purchase.

I myself have the Acer XZ321Q, which is
- 32"
- 144Hz
- 1080p
- FreeSync
- VA (curved)

Here's a quote from another thread, which clarifies my thoughts:Apparently they have now lowered the G-Sync variant's price permanently to £650, so the difference is only £170, anymore. (at least until they decide to lower the FreeSync variant, too)

But in any case, if you have the deskspace, I would certainly recommend 32" or bigger. For regular desks, 27" seems like a more sensible option.

i have the desk space but prefer the 24 inch which is what im used to in size will the 3 inches make that much of a difference?

Associate
Well, probably not THAT much of a difference. So indeed, the Samsung seems like a solid option. Don't worry about it.

But one thing I didn't remember to take notice of yet:
LFC (Low Framerate Compensation)

This is a good feature in FreeSync monitors, and not all of them have it. Not necessarily a deal breaker, but I would keep an eye out for it. I don't know whether the 24" version supports it, but the C27FG70 seems to. Considering it's the same model line, it might indeed have it on the C24FG70, as well.

Associate
OP
Well, probably not THAT much of a difference. So indeed, the Samsung seems like a solid option. Don't worry about it.

But one thing I didn't remember to take notice of yet:
LFC (Low Framerate Compensation)

This is a good feature in FreeSync monitors, and not all of them have it. Not necessarily a deal breaker, but I would keep an eye out for it. I don't know whether the 24" version supports it, but the C27FG70 seems to. Considering it's the same model line, it might indeed have it on the C24FG70, as well.

ill have a look and see if it does thanks again atleast now my choice is solid :D just hope my cards push it lol

Associate
I don't recommend the 27 inch version though. I had one and it didn't look as good as the 24.

I also have a 27 Benq 1440p 144hz monitor but I prefer gaming online with the 24 inch more.

If you do get one from ocuk, ask if the firmware is the latest as the builds from November and up were improved. Someone who bought one from here recently had an older build and noticed some issues. We spoke about it in the last few pages of this thread.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...z-34-cf791-100hz-va-freesync.18745742/page-13

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I don't recommend the 27 inch version though. I had one and it didn't look as good as the 24.

I also have a 27 Benq 1440p 144hz monitor but I prefer gaming online with the 24 inch more.

If you do get one from ocuk, ask if the firmware is the latest as the builds from November and up were improved. Someone who bought one from here recently had an older build and noticed some issues. We spoke about it in the last few pages of this thread.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...z-34-cf791-100hz-va-freesync.18745742/page-13

great shout yes ill be ordering from OCuk its the cheapest also ill drop a message and see and i dont like some the other suppliers customer services anyways xD

Associate
OP
bought the monitor omg its amazing

too bad sli 970s arent enough to push 144hz in most games tho ( only overwatch in fullscreen:()

will wait for vega and swap :)

Associate

too bad sli 970s arent enough to push 144hz in most games tho ( only overwatch in fullscreen:()

Did you end up getting one with the latest firmware? Asking because I am considering this monitor too but I need a November version

Associate

That's good news. Glad that you are happy with it. :D

I am surprised though that 970 sli is not enough for 144 fps.

I am also waiting for vega. Hope it's worth it. :)

Associate
OP
yeah sli 970 barely does 70+ fps in ultra mass effect to

plus it sa free syn monitor so amd will be the better choice regardless ;P glad im waiting on vega will see all the price drops then haha

Associate
All 'signs' point to may 30th. Not sure if that is a hard release however. Only thing we have been told is to expect a release before the end of June.

Back
Top Bottom