best 19" gaming monitor???

Associate
money not an issue could people recommend the best gaming monitor on the market or to soon be released must have very fast response times??

got the dell 2405 great monitor but it dont cut the mustard even in sli in fast fps to much ghosting or tearing for me just need a hardcore gaming monitor and leave the dell to web surfing :)

Associate
Well i found tearing is generally worse with LCDs (not sure why exactly) and if you ever go from an LCD to a CRT, as i have done, then it will be the first thing you notice.

P.S you won't notice ghosting on anything 8ms or below so just check that number before you click the buy button ;P

Associate
OP
had the Hyundai ImageQuest L90D+ 19" LCD monitor and in pes4 the tearing was so bad had to have v-sync on all the time

Permabanned
Best Gaming Monitors

1. Viewsonic VX922 19" LCD Monitor - Black/Silver (MO-046-VS) £293.69

2. Viewsonic VX924 19" LCD Monitor (MO-040-VS) £281.94

3. Samsung SM-930BF 19" LCD Monitor - Silver/Black (MO-029-SA) £240.82

Off topic: mpy how much did u spend on your set-up?

Associate
If i had to pick one it would be Samsung as light leakage is kept to a minimum.

P.S. tearing is very bad in pes4/5 no matter what monitor you are using. Vsync HAS to be enabled for that game regardless of how powerful your PC is.

Soldato
okcpu said:
If i had to pick one it would be Samsung as light leakage is kept to a minimum.
Perhaps you'd like to expand on your comment what makes Samsungs backlighting superior to any other manufacturer????

The VX922 is as far as I'm aware the best 19" gaming monitor in terms of response rate, colours are great, the overdrive is well sorted and I certainly have no backlight issues with mine.

Man of Honour
Turbanation said:
Best Gaming Monitors

1. Viewsonic VX922 19" LCD Monitor - Black/Silver (MO-046-VS) £293.69

2. Viewsonic VX924 19" LCD Monitor (MO-040-VS) £281.94

3. Samsung SM-930BF 19" LCD Monitor - Silver/Black (MO-029-SA) £240.82

i'd have to agree with that, 3 of the best gaming TFT's in the market today.

Man of Honour
that's a tough one. I get asked this a LOT, think i need to get a paragraph prepared to answer this which i can cut and paste each time :p so here goes:

Viewsonic VX922 vs. Viewsonic VX924 vs. Samsung 930BF - Which One For Gaming?

The Viewsonic VX922 might be the best on paper with it's 2ms response time, but in reality they haven't really changed anything since the VX924 which was rated at 4ms and then 3ms. It's all about spec on paper really with that model, and they all feature the same AU Optronics TN Film panel. Perhaps the level of overdrive (RTC) has been turned up a little to allow them to reach a slightly faster response time, but remember that this is only the best case measurement as is unlikely to be very different at all to the VX924. As such, if you can still find the VX924 and get it cheaper than the VX922, then it would be worth getting in my opinion since it would be very hard to tell any real difference between the two in real use.

The Samsung 930BF is very comparable in responsiveness with the VX924/VX922 but features a 4ms TN Film panel from Samsung themselves. There have been some reports that the 930BF has a less well controlled overdrive application leading to added noise in movie playback. TN Film panels are not really that well suited to movie watching anyway with their restrictive viewing angles and artefacts in movies which are inherant to the technology. The poor control of the overdrive by Samsung is something which has effected several of their RTC enabled screens including the 930BF and the 970P. It might add a little more noise than the Viewsonic's overdrive does. There is a direct comparison where this was observed also at X-Bit labs.

In my opinion the Samsung has the edge on design, and there is also the option if you want a more functional screen to go with the 960BF which uses the same panel. I think if it were me, I would opt for the Samsung 930BF, but it is all down to taste really. The 930BF is also a little cheaper than the VX924 and certainly cheaper than the VX922 which is always a good thing :)

hth

Associate
PieEater said:
Perhaps you'd like to expand on your comment what makes Samsungs backlighting superior to any other manufacturer????

The VX922 is as far as I'm aware the best 19" gaming monitor in terms of response rate, colours are great, the overdrive is well sorted and I certainly have no backlight issues with mine.

I did not say it was better than any manufacturer but that it was better than Viewsonics. This is from reviews and pictures that i have seen of bad light leakage on Viewsonic LCD monitors. I could be wrong of course but this is my opinion based on what i have seen and read.

Soldato
I am thinking of getting another 19" LCD (had one a year ago, a VX912).

The Samsung SM-930BF 19" LCD Monitor, does that come with a DVI cable?

It is really tough deciding between the samsung and Viewsonic. My cousin has backligh problems on his VX922/VX923 so it's kind of putting me off. Have these issues been resolved?

Also every encounter I have had with samsung customer support in the past has been ace!

Was reading a review on the Samsung and this was said:

Just got this monitor a few days ago, to finish of my new computer, had a 19" CRT. When it comes to games, you can get away with raising all the graphics settings - if you use DVI anyways - as more data can be passed down the wire and it doesnt have to converted into an analogue signal either, for example I can now run COD2 full graphics, looks amazing.

So all this time we have been upgrading GFX cards all we needed was a new wire! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Associate
i had a xerox 19'' 8ms one a while ago, i ve had not had any issue with it, and if you've got, messing inconsiderate kids, the screen is glass fronted and removeable, and it looks good

Associate
I have a Xerox XA7-19i & a 930BF. I use the 930BF on my main for gaming and the Xerox on my MCE Shuttle for films, TV etc.

Yeah the 930BF comes with a DVI cable. In my experience i wouldnt use this monitor with an analogue VGA output. It looks dreadful on the VGA output on my Shuttle whereas my Xerox XA7-19i looks awesome on both DVI and VGA. Also the Samsung is fine on the DVI port on my 7800GT. Although honestly..I think my Xerox XA7-19i is much better. It certainly performs better on a VGA output. Plus it looks sexier! :p

And dont bother with the Samsung for anything other than games. Movies and DTV look pants on it.

Soldato
Well I have the 19” Viewsonic VP191b TFT great for watching DVD's as well as playing games 8ms, looks really good as well for a TFT it's a shame Overclockers dont sell them anymore - the Viewsonic VP930 19" LCD Monitor is the updated version but in silver! :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom