Best 4 Door Coupe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Don't get caught up on that. It's still a crap system in the mercs. Outdated already.

Yup. Honestly @Trojan Horse you could buy something properly badass with your budget which would lose far less than £10k in depreciation, would be amazing to drive ( and probably cost a fortune in insurance).

I was of the opinion at 21 that I'm not a taxi service, so why would I need more than 2 seats? I'm still of that opinion at heart really! You need to decide what it is you actually want in a car, as a CLA180 doesn't really tick many of the boxes that I imagine a 21 year old motorist would want. For a start it has a roof...

Associate
well depreciation is going to be around 20k so i would only lose 10k after a few years... still better than some cars.

again i am not concrete on the CLA i am literally asking for advice on more models as i dont know what to research, thankfully some users like @NVP actually contribtue and provide reasonable suggestions

You’ll lose 20%, say £6k, as you drive off the forecourt and realise that 1.3 just isn’t enough. You’ll lose the same again after another 12 months, and roughly the same the third year. Been there and **** that, call it experience :(

NVP has indeed given some great alternatives. get something older, when you realise it’s **** and internet marketing by complete *****, chop it in for something else. Let some other sucker take that initial hit of German ‘premium’ pleather. Cheap private plate and the young ladies won’t have a clue it isn’t a spanker :D ;)

NVP

NVP

Soldato
nfJ9204l.jpg

I don't know how much more insurance would increase on a 3.0d, but this is a decent price:

VXhe01Kl.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
im going to test drive it over the weekend ill know if its **** or not
If you do make sure you also go for a spin in the 220/250 petrol or the 220D and you will notice the massive difference between the engines and understand what people are trying to get across. The CLA to go for is the 220 4matic, i ended up getting the 220D (company car list is pretty short! only Volvo, Jag, Range Rover and Merc) ive only had it a couple of days and its on par with the C Class i had to give back. The Mbux system is one of the best ive used and in the last 2 months i have test driven BMW 3 series and Volvo XC40/60.

Soldato
Lol, what a waste of money is all I can say. Seriously, keep saving towards a deposit on a decent house. Those tend to go up in value, not down ;)

You can get a perfectly good car for ten grand. Hell, when I was your age, my car cost a few hundred quid.

Audi's and BMW's have lost their cache these days anyway, every shmoe seems to have one. They are ten a penny.

Associate
Just for more fun the CLA 180 1.3 engine is joint partnership with Renault, does that not knock off 20pts off its "badge" coolness?
Anyway as mentioned in my previous get yourself hot-hatch or 3 door coupe, if you really need 4 doors then hot-hatch is the way forward.
If you really want stand out and want "cool" factor, very low depreciation then get yourself a JDM import..something like the FD2 Type-R which has 4 doors and they look cool.
https://www.torque-gt.co.uk/purple-fd2-230819.html

Soldato
So the way I see it, a 4 door coupe you have the following options:

Audi A5 (Not sure if considered a couple or a hatch)
Audi A7 (Not sure if considered a couple or a hatch)
Mercedes CLA
Mercedes CLS
Mercedes GLC
VW Passat CC
VW Areton
BMW 6 series grand coupe
BMW 4 series grand coupe (I think it exists)
BMW X6
BMW X4
Mazda RX-8
Aston Martin Rapide

Caporegime
The behaviour on this forum is absolutely disgusting. Come back here when you gain some self respect.

Apologies but I was just speaking my mind.

You say you are clearing 2k a month savings. In two years you will have 50k deposit which is massive. I had 36000 saved when I was 22. Several temptations and test drives but glad I made the right choice. Have made 50k on the house going over the past ten years. If I had bought a car it would be worth 10k tops.

Soldato
Apologies but I was just speaking my mind.

You say you are clearing 2k a month savings. In two years you will have 50k deposit which is massive. I had 36000 saved when I was 22. Several temptations and test drives but glad I made the right choice. Have made 50k on the house going over the past ten years. If I had bought a car it would be worth 10k tops.

Whilst I hear you, and agree....his money, his choice.

Soldato
Just for more fun the CLA 180 1.3 engine is joint partnership with Renault, does that not knock off 20pts off its "badge" coolness?
Anyway as mentioned in my previous get yourself hot-hatch or 3 door coupe, if you really need 4 doors then hot-hatch is the way forward.
If you really want stand out and want "cool" factor, very low depreciation then get yourself a JDM import..something like the FD2 Type-R which has 4 doors and they look cool.
https://www.torque-gt.co.uk/purple-fd2-230819.html
This is correct, the gearbox in the 180/200 is also getting a reputation for being a bit of a 'slush box'. The 220 and the 250 both use Mercedes engines and gearboxes are, according to what I have seen, much better. Certainly the new A series 180 I drove was simply awful and had no refinement, however the 200 CLA was far better. Certainly enough for me to place an order for the 250..

NVP

NVP

Soldato
2009, i'm 33 now. WTF were you doing buying an m5 at 25 grandad:D. Living up north seems fairly cheap for insurance.
Haha I out grew my 3 series so upgraded to 200mph+ you cheeky ****** :D and unless yours was a turbo I'd have batted you like a fly :p

Edit: also, a 5ltr BMW n/a V10 .... no brainer!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom