best 5.1 speakers for x-fi??

Associate
I have Creative Megaworks 550. They suit the X-Fi fine in my opinion. They cost around 300 Pounds I think. Buying a good set of speakers is important as they last a lot longer than your graphics card or CPU.

Soldato
Exactly willhub, I have a LINN Hi-Fi and the logitechs and the creatives are not a patch on it. BUT ,its a PC we're talking about not a Hi-Fi so you're quite right. The Logitech or Creative will sound fantastic and both DO work well with X-Fi cards.

Regards

AndyOcUK
OcUK Tech

Suspended
My guess is a make/model of speakers. THX is Lucas sound certification. Although THX "pc" is not worth jack, THX Ultra is. That has some excellent sound processing options that can be applied onto any audio format.

Soldato
willhub said:
z5500 all the way, they sound amazing with the X-FI, maybe not as good as a Hi-Fi, but who cares if you aint heard a Hi-Fi lol.

With that attitude you'll never know whether hi-fi is worth caring about since you never will hear it. You're basically saying anything that outside your current sphere of experience isn't worth experiencing.

The answer to your question is - anyone who cares about sound quality or loves music.

Soldato
I quite like the look of the z5500s. But they are expensive. Was considering a 2.1 set up instead. Less hassle.

Acoustic Energy Aego M 2.1 Speakers look nice but not sure if they are any good.

Suspended
devilkazuya said:
dumb response

My thoughts exactly. He can't afford decent kit, so he slates those that do, and those that have them in a effor to bring himself higher, even though has junk. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
it aint a dumb response, sounds like your offended that i said that Z5500's are decent, well they are if you havent heard Hi-Fi, i have this Hi-Fi downstairs, it probs will sound worse than the z5500's because its older than me, all it had was 2 speakers both with 8" speaker and some small 4 or 5" thing, but the middle speaker was missing, and they sounded naff. I want a Hi-Fi, but to get a decent one, you have to pay out like over £300 by sounds of it, and come on, the Z5500's or these creative megaworks things, or those Klipsch pc speakers aint naff, whoever says that should be slapped tbh, a Hi-Fi surely cant put of like 10 times better quality when these pc speakers aint that crap, and pc high end pc speakers and home theatre systems with sat speakers are better for people with small cramped rooms etc.., my impression from other threads is that if i wanted a decent 2.1 Hi-Fi setup i would be paying hundreds. Your right i cant afford a decent Kit, but the Z5500's and other pc speakers are good for there price, i got em for £226, bet i couldent get anything better for that price that suited me, i aint slating anyone who has Hi-Fi's, but pc speakers are for Pc's, Hi-Fi's aintdesigned for pc's even tho they can connect to them.

What i said earlyer is true, if you have just purchased a high end set of PC speakers designed for the PC, and you have never heard a Hi-Fi system, and thing the PC speakers that are designed for a PC are amazing, then your not going to be so desperate about getting Hi-Fi systems and saying all PC spekers are a bag of crap and there naf etc.. when there not naf or a bag of crap, there quite good, maybe not as good ss Hi-Fi's.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you want a decent Hi-Fi you will pay much more than £300. The tone arm on my turntable is £2195.

www.linn.co.uk

The creative AND the Logitech are both toatally awesome when paired with an X-Fi card. End of story. Also they are both top of the range so you won't get any better from Creative OR Logitech because they do not make anythin with a higher spec.

AndyOcUK
OcUK Tech

Suspended
hmm, I think "good budget" Hi-Fi starts at £200 per item, a £600 CD/Amplifier/Speaker system is good, and much better than midi system tat. Yes you can spend more, but for 99% of people that system will be nice indeed. For AV you do obviously need to spend quite a bit, since you have many more speakers and amplifiers, I wouldn't bother with AV amplifers anymore, AV pre-amp and poweramps all the way, decent speakers and best subwoofer you can afford.

I do own pretty high end gear, but I would probably be happy enough with a lesser system, probably budget myself a bit more sensibily.

I have a good PC speakers, and tbh they're rubbish sound quality. Plant to junk those and get a cheap NAD integrated and use my unused B&W 601's for a PC gaming audio system.

Last edited:
Soldato
willhub said:
my impression from other threads is that if i wanted a decent 2.1 Hi-Fi setup i would be paying hundreds.......i have this Hi-Fi downstairs, it probs will sound worse than the z5500's because its older than me, all it had was 2 speakers both with 8" speaker and some small 4 or 5" thing, but the middle speaker was missing, and they sounded naff

Not at all, it can be done for £100 used. £200 used will get you something really quite nice. Stereo not 2.1, but bookshelf/floorstanding hi-fi speakers have plenty of bass and go deep enough for most music.

When you talk about your 'hi-fi downstairs' from your description it sounds like a crap midi system. That's not hi-fi. Hi-fi means hi-fi seperates. Not the real bottom end stuff either, and not the crap manufacturers, since there are some.

You also don't need to spend £2195 per component.

Back
Top Bottom