Best Albums of 2018?

Soldato
Lil Wayne's was pretty good too, just remembered that one.

I couldn't get into that album. I only tried once but it wasn't for me. TBH, I've not really enjoyed Lil Wayne since TC3. This Ice Cube album is still going. Love his effortless flow.

Another one I forgot I enjoyed a lot this year; Ocean Wisdom - Wizville.

Soldato
I've rebought more older albums this year than any other time in my life, just struggling to find new music I like. I'm not berating or saying new music is bad, I just don't have the time i used to which lets me find new stuff to listen to.

Recently bought:

Jurassic 5 - Jurassic 5
Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
Prodigy - Experience
Chemical Brothers - Exit Planet Dust

Did pick up Kamikaze by Eminem...there is half of an absolutely brilliant album there, sadly padded out with some weaker tracks.

Soldato
I've rebought more older albums this year than any other time in my life, just struggling to find new music I like. I'm not berating or saying new music is bad, I just don't have the time i used to which lets me find new stuff to listen to.

Recently bought:

Jurassic 5 - Jurassic 5

Did pick up Kamikaze by Eminem...there is half of an absolutely brilliant album there, sadly padded out with some weaker tracks.

I absolutely adore J5 and try to see them whenever they come to Bristol. A few years back when i saw them my friends and I were sat on College Green and we noticed (as if it's hard to not spot) Charlie 2na and Akil walking around. Like a bunch of fangirls we ran up to them to get a few pictures and a few words. They ended up asking is they could have some of our flowers which we happily did. In the actual gig we were up front and kept getting numerous smiles and points at us from them. One of my best nights ever.

I realise I sound like a groupie.

And you're right. There are some weak tracks on Kamikaze (nice guy/ good guy are the two I always skip right away) but ones like Not Alike, Fall, Kamikaze, Lucky You and The Ringer are all fantastic.

Soldato
I absolutely adore J5 and try to see them whenever they come to Bristol. A few years back when i saw them my friends and I were sat on College Green and we noticed (as if it's hard to not spot) Charlie 2na and Akil walking around. Like a bunch of fangirls we ran up to them to get a few pictures and a few words. They ended up asking is they could have some of our flowers which we happily did. In the actual gig we were up front and kept getting numerous smiles and points at us from them. One of my best nights ever.

While i've listened to the debut album countless times, it saddens me to say i've not listened to any other albums in their entirety. What would you recommend out of their other albums?

And you're right. There are some weak tracks on Kamikaze (nice guy/ good guy are the two I always skip right away) but ones like Not Alike, Fall, Kamikaze, Lucky You and The Ringer are all fantastic.

Lucky You was an instant hit for me and always gets turned up to silly volumes when it comes on in the car, Joyner Lucas is growing on me considerably over the last year or so.

All the others you listed with the exception of Fall I really like, it's the intro of Fall which just annoys me where he's going on about everyone talking about him, it's not like he's ever minced his words about others. ;)

Soldato
I recently slagged my mate into the gutter at a BBQ becasue he played ChVrches, LOL. Taylor Swift I kept telling him.

I used to think this then I actually listened to their stuff and really enjoyed it. The missus got me tickets for my birthday to go see them next year! :)

This thread makes me sad as i realise every album i was going to mention was actually from 2017! I seem to have really struggled this year to find new stuff.

Looking back through and I realised I've only listened to two albums from this year. Chvrches and The Prodigy!

Associate
Another one I forgot I enjoyed a lot this year; Ocean Wisdom - Wizville.

I'll give that one a spin, enjoyed his Chaos '93 debut. Ice Cube is another of the few rappers (still) doing the rounds that I can listen through an album, didn't realise he also had a new one. That's tomorrow night sorted.

Associate
Most stuff I bought this year was older. A few I can think of from this year:

Ray LaMontagne - Part of the light
Clutch - Book of bad decisions
Rosanne Cash - She remembers everything
Suede - The blue hour
Steve Perry - Traces
Joe Bonamassa - Redemption
Beth Hart - Front and Center
Black Label Society - Grimmest Hits

Soldato
I'll give that one a spin, enjoyed his Chaos '93 debut. Ice Cube is another of the few rappers (still) doing the rounds that I can listen through an album, didn't realise he also had a new one. That's tomorrow night sorted.

I'm not the biggest UK Hip hop fan but he is genuinely one of my favourites for sure. Did you get a chance to listen to Ice Cube's album? I'm really liking it but I have a bias as I love his pronunciation

Permabanned
A Perfect Circle - Eat The Elephant (Bit of a slow burner and quite different to their older stuff)

Yeah? Man, I thought it was pretty laborious, despite giving it 4 or 5 listens. Just think MJK is a bit of a joke now tbh. The whole album had that 'granddad doesn't get social media' vibe about it.

Back
Top Bottom