Best AMD configuration 2k?

Associate
Hi,

I'm upgrading my PC. I want to play PUBG at peak performance and other newer games in the future. PUBG runs best on a fast CPU and fast memory.

My budget is about 2,000 pounds but a little bit less would be nice.

I don't know much about hardware, would really appreciate some help! :) Does this configuration make sense. I put this together with the AMD Ryzen configurator.

I have 2 SSDs in this, my thinking is to put most played games on the M.2 and the rest on the SATA SSD + Geforce Shadowplay recording. Additional mechanical HDD for media.

Cooling, motherboard, case and more is just on default, makes sense? Anything you would do differently on this budget?

My basket at Overclockers UK:
  • 1 x OcUK Tech Labs AMD Ryzen 3rd Gen Pro Gaming Configurator = £2,005.56
    • Case:Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic Midi-Tower - Black Window
    • CPU:AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Eight Core 4.4GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail
    • Motherboard:Gigabyte X570 GAMING X (AMD AM4) DDR4 X570 Chipset ATX Motherboard
    • CPU Cooler:Asetek 570LC 120mm High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler - AMD
    • Memory:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-29200C18 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black
    • Graphics Card:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 WindForce 8192MB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card
    • M.2 Solid State Drive 1 (Primary Drive If Selected):Samsung 970 EVO Plus Polaris 500GB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive
    • 2.5" SATA Solid State Drive 1:Samsung 1TB 860 QVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 64 Layer 3D V-NAND Solid State Drive (MZ-76Q1T0BW)
    • Mechanical Hard Drive 1:Seagate BarraCuda 2TB 7200RPM 256MB Cache HDD - *System Stock*
    • Power Supply:Kolink Continuum 1200W 80 Plus Platinum Modular Power Supply
Total: £2,005.56 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

Soldato
I have a 144hz monitor (no gsync/freesync).

1440p ?

system looks like a beast! gigabyte hardware with good RMA. PSU Power is over the top, and kolink budget PSU has bad rep but their FLAGSHIP! one of the best units out there!!!!!!

any reason for having nvme drive and ssd ? would just go for 2tb SSD sata 3 personally or 1tb nmve and hdd for basic storage

as a rule, can always self build for cheaper!

ocuk could build this for under £2k - 2080 Super vs basic 2080

BB CODE
Total: £1,847.83 (includes shipping: £0.00)

just seen your reason for dual ssds . doing shadowplay then super 2080 will help out with min frame rates

intel- would give yourself max fps when gaming

Total: £1,926.75 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for that! Incredible.

Not 1440p, but likely to upgrade in the future.

as a rule, can always self build for cheaper!
I haven't built a computer in 15 years, hesitant to venture there! I wish it was possible to skip certain things from the configurator, for example 2080 Super is not available there but I'm forced to choose from the list so I can't skip the GPU and order it separately and plug it in myself. I will do some research tonight and decide if I feel confident to build myself.

Thanks again!

Permabanned

I haven't built a computer in 15 years, hesitant to venture there! I wish it was possible to skip certain things from the configurator, for example 2080 Super is not available there but I'm forced to choose from the list so I can't skip the GPU and order it separately and plug it in myself. I will do some research tonight and decide if I feel confident to build myself.

Thanks again!

Hallo,

Don't you want a 12-core/24-thread Ryzen 9? A better configuration in every possible aspect?

Total: £1,999.88 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

Permabanned
@4K8KW10

by the time 3900x comes into stock rzyen 4000 series will be out, pmsl . long waiting lists and no stock in UK it seems for another week

Guy has been waiting for a new build for 15 years! Let's assemble for him something that is worth it and not that middle-class 8-core that has been available since forever...

ETA for the Ryzen 9 3900X is 8 August 2019, the day after tomorrow.

Soldato
Guy has been waiting for a new build for 15 years! Let's assemble for him something that is worth it and not that middle-class 8-core that has been available since forever...

Except you don't need a 12 core cpu for gaming, so total waste of cash right there, and you seem to forget that the best cpu for gaming right now is an 8 core (Not that I am suggesting he buys a 9900K). Also why the hell would you pay £590 for a Vega Viii when you can get an RTX 2070 Super or RX 5700 XT for less ? And why a £400 board ? Most of your build makes no sense as usual ;)

Permabanned
Except you don't need a 12 core cpu for gaming, so total waste of cash right there, and you seem to forget that the best cpu for gaming right now is an 8 core (Not that I am suggesting he buys a 9900K). Also why the hell would you pay £590 for a Vega Viii when you can get an RTX 2070 Super or RX 5700 XT for less ? And why a £400 board ? Most of your build makes no sense as usual ;)

RX 5700 XT has no 16GB HBM2, and is weaker at higher resolutions.
AMD's fastest CPU for gaming is the Ryzen 9 3900X.

nvidia cards I don't recommend since they are terrible. Their image quality and that DLSS are horrible.

Ok, logic, let's put a 100 quid board in a config for 2000..

Soldato
RX 5700 XT has no 16GB HBM2, and is weaker at higher resolutions.
AMD's fastest CPU for gaming is the Ryzen 9 3900X.

nvidia cards I don't recommend since they are terrible. Their image quality and that DLSS are horrible.

Ok, logic, let's put a 100 quid board in a config for 2000..

Yeah because 16GB HBM2 is a MUST isn't it ? :rolleyes:

If you want to talk the fastest cpu for 1080p gaming then it would be a 9900K not a 3900X. As for the 3900X it isn't worth the extra £200 over the 3700X if all you are doing is gaming.

Why are Nvidia terrible ? Just because you have a hatred of all things Intel/Nvidia doesn't mean they are bad. The Vega Vii makes no sense period for that price.

You could actually run the 3900X on something like an MSI B450 Tomahawk, so yeah a £100 board would do fine.

Soldato
Realistically though, you'd go with at least an X570.

With a £2000 budget then you probably would go X570. Still don't need to spend nearly £400 though on a board. The Gigabyte board above for £180 is good enough. If you don't care about pcie 4.0 then a B450 is still a cheaper option.

Permabanned
With a £2000 budget then you probably would go X570. Still don't need to spend nearly £400 though on a board. The Gigabyte board above for £180 is good enough. If you don't care about pcie 4.0 then a B450 is still a cheaper option.

That 180£ lacks ALC1220 audio codec! It's the entry-level X570 board with budget components and execution.

I have a question - who are these £400 boards directed to, then? Do you want the manufacturers to stop making high-end boards, once and for all?

Soldato
That 180£ lacks ALC1220 audio codec! It's the entry-level X570 board with budget components and execution.

I have a question - who are these £400 boards directed to, then? Do you want the manufacturers to stop making high-end boards, once and for all?

The MSI X570-A Pro for £169.99 has ALC1220 if that is so important.

Who are £400 boards aimed at ? Maybe people who don't care too much about value for money, or they just want a high end board, or someone who wants to mess about with high end overclocking etc etc. There are lots of reasons. I have nothing against someone wanting a £400 board as long as the rest of the build is balanced. A £200 saving on the board could go towards a better gpu or more ram/storage etc.

Soldato
Wrong debate even for a high end gaming spec. There's an argument for- possibly the Pro with £30 cash back - but £400 would eat nearly a quarter of his budget and he specifically mentioned:

but a little bit less would be nice.

But reality is the Gaming X would suffice and stumping up a £400 board isn't the best fit, given spec criteria. You must see the component hit, or in your build, the potential money that could be saved, when submitting a £400 premium/niche board in a regular gaming brief?

EDIT: That said - we'll probably confuse the poor OP - but within the thread he now knows where he can save money and spend a little more if it's his want.

Last edited:
Soldato

Pmsl, there's been lots of ETAs ! It's already missed 2 deadlines, even at distribution level where OCUK buys it from . You think OP would land one in stock... Scan has something like 400 in pre-orders, not to sure about OCUK numbers and ****** is just as high .

Soldato

If you don't know when you're even going move up from medieval 1920x1080, there wouldn't be much sense in expensive high end graphics card.
Even 2560x1440 runs quite well with affordable cards, like AMD's Navi cards.
And any lower resolution with £2000 PC would be sacrilege.

Again if you want PC which would go forward for next half dozen years with easy component changes, like graphics card change, then high end CPU could be good.
Though if you don't run that much on background, then 8 cores/16 threads should be good.
And good size 2560x1440 monitor would be major improvement to gaming immersion.

• CPU Cooler:Asetek 570LC 120mm High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler - AMD
  • M.2 Solid State Drive 1 (Primary Drive If Selected):Samsung 970 EVO Plus Polaris 500GB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive
  • 2.5" SATA Solid State Drive 1:Samsung 1TB 860 QVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 64 Layer 3D V-NAND Solid State Drive (MZ-76Q1T0BW)
  • Power Supply:Kolink Continuum 1200W 80 Plus Platinum Modular Power Supply
First of all short 5 year warranty PSU shouldn't have any business in £2000 PC.
And only thing "hunting fly with MPADS" oversized cheap watts PSU achieves is multiple steps lower efficiency likely most of the time when is powered.
750W is already plenty for single GPU gaming PC.
And for stock CPUs and nearly all graphics cards 650W would be good for gaming.
Seasonic Focus Plus is consistently the best priced or among them in pricing for 10 year warranty PSU.

120mm radiator ain't high performance.
High end heatpipe coolers easily win most 240-280mm radiators in continuous cooling per noise performance.
That includes such "expensive" coolers as £43 Scythe Mugen 5, which would fit to that Lian Li case.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/scythe-scmg-5100-mugen-5-rev.b-cpu-cooler-hs-046-sy.html
Even RGB version is reasonably priced, unlike most RGB bling blnig stuff.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/scyt...-cpu-cooler-with-pwm-fan-120mm-hs-04c-sy.html

There's no sense to pay for Samsung's super expensive per GB NVMe drive.
Real world loading time differences are between small and minimal even between NVMe and SATA drives.
So there's no sense to pay more per GB than in Corsair MP510:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/search?sSearch=corsair+MP510
And even in synthetic testing it doesn't loose much to Samsung.

860 QVO uses pretty much analog QLC, which needs to distinguish between ludicrous 16 charge states to avoid error.
Basically there's no room for charge deterioritation/interference.
Wouldn't touch those until they've been real world tested for multiple years.
And QLC certainly doesn't belong to £2000 PC.
WD Blue 3D uses TLC, which needs to differentiate "only" 8 charge states and is more robust tech.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/wd-b...-solid-state-drive-wds100t2b0a-hd-54j-wd.html

Soldato

Thanks again!

list i provided above, ocuk can build it, still would come in cheaper then your first list even with them charging to build it for you :)

Back
Top Bottom