• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Best AMD GPU manufacturer

Associate
My MSI RX480 is going to need to be RMA'd for the second time. Before this card I had an MSI 670 which also had to be replaced under warranty. Not only am I disappointed with the reliability but the last time I had to RMA the RX480 it took something like 6 weeks to get a return which was intolerably slow. It's going to be replaced (I hope) under warranty but I'm considering just getting a Vega 64. I definitely wont be getting MSI though.

So, just wanted to gather some opinions on the reliability and service of the various AMD GPU manufacturers.

I have a Freesync monitor so I dont plan to move to Nvidia.

Man of Honour
IMO The best cards aside from cooling are the reference cards, vega reference boards are absolute tanks and are hideously over engineered boards. If you can find a reference design I would be tempted to go with that! A liquid reference is even better! Your experience with MSI is the same as mine! Every single MSI product I have ever owned has broken or gone back multiple times because frankly MSI stuff is utter rubbish. My old 280x went back 3 or 4 times and I never actually got a decent one. put simply MSI suck massive donkey balls.

Soldato
The XFX 480 XXX GTR I have has pretty good components on it. It's one of the best cards I've ever owned.

But yea, all the Geforce MSI ones I've had have died after 1-2 years too. I stopped buying them.

Last edited:
Soldato
My MSI RX480 is going to need to be RMA'd for the second time. Before this card I had an MSI 670 which also had to be replaced under warranty. Not only am I disappointed with the reliability but the last time I had to RMA the RX480 it took something like 6 weeks to get a return which was intolerably slow. It's going to be replaced (I hope) under warranty but I'm considering just getting a Vega 64. I definitely wont be getting MSI though.

So, just wanted to gather some opinions on the reliability and service of the various AMD GPU manufacturers.

I have a Freesync monitor so I dont plan to move to Nvidia.

Powercolor, XFX & Sapphire in that order.
I have no idea how the RMA of Asrock is.

Man of Honour
The XFX 480 XXX GTR I have has pretty good components on it. It's one of the best cards I've ever owned.

But yea, all the Geforce MSI ones I've had have died after 1-2 years too. I stopped buying them.

Isn't the xfx 480 XXX based on the reference design. I used to have that card and am sure it was a binned reference jobbie.

Soldato
Isn't the xfx 480 XXX based on the reference design. I used to have that card and am sure it was a binned reference jobbie.

Not sure but the VRMs are way over-spec. They don't even need heatsinks on them.

Unless I find future cards of that quality I'll be sticking with reference and modding the cooler myself instead from now on.

Permabanned
Powercolor, XFX & Sapphire in that order.
I have no idea how the RMA of Asrock is.

Sapphire is the official and first AMD partner. All the others are second-tier.
So, if you can find a reference card, if not Sapphire should be your choice number 1.

Man of Honour
Not sure but the VRMs are way over-spec. They don't even need heatsinks on them.

Unless I find future cards of that quality I'll be sticking with reference and modding the cooler myself instead from now on.

Just had a look and pretty sure it is - The ref vegas and rx480/580 are so over spec it is silly :)

Permabanned
Big companies like ASUS, Gigabyte & MSI often use components they developed for Nvidia cards with their AMD card, They've all done it and they've all been caught out by it in the recent past.

The best thing to do is go with one of the AMD only brands,
Companies like Sapphire, Powercolor & XFX offer the best AMD Graphics card's & they do so consistently.

Man of Honour
I am pretty sure my 56 is a Sapphire - Also with reference boards you can flash the 56 to 64 to put it within 2% of 64 performance so that is always worth noting.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I guess Sapphire will be the way to go. I did have a Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro way back in the day before switching to Nvidia.

Man of Honour

Just spotted this little gem :) There isn't a Consumer Vega core on the market produced at TSMC (yet) as far as I am aware, I could be completely wrong but I thought 14nm Vega, Polaris, 14nm Zen (zeppelin cores) including threadripper and also Zen+ were all produced at global foundries using the 14nm LP node. After core production at global foundries Vega parts are shipped out and assembled in either Korea or Taiwan, hence the reason their are two core variants. The resin core and the (not so good) non resin core:

So the very best Vega you can feasibly have imo is a reference Vega that was assembled in Taiwan as there is a 0.4mm offset between hbm and core height on the Korean produced core so the hbm doesn't make contact with the cooling solution, mine for example seemed to be a very solid clocker and undervolter so I just had to know what was underneath:

I do believe that for 7nm they are using both global foundries and tsmc so perhaps in a few months you might be onto something.

Last edited:
Soldato
Another vote for Sapphire have a few Nitro + Vega and they are tanks very well built

Yeah that bracket holding the card straight is brilliant idea.... And also the cooler.....

However bought the Nitro+ because it has waterblock and the Powercolor doesn't :/
Knowingly that I will void warranty by replacing the block -_-

I could have bought Powercolor or XFX if anyone made block for their custom cards.

Back
Top Bottom