• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Best bang for buck card ~£150?

Caporegime
With Shift out and the demo downloaded to play when I get home, and Dirt 2 on the way, my 8800GT is starting to feel the strain. Whats the best band for buck card about at the moment for under £200 that will last me a good while (had the 8800GT since launch)? Is it worth looking second hand for a card?

Ive been out of touch with graphics cards for ages so need any advice yo can give :)

Cheers

Caporegime
OP
the 4890 is definately cheaper when you get to brands who offer half decent warranties...

Buts, its ATI... and I have a completely unfounded and irrational favoratism to nVidia...

Soldato
And play any game when its launched, rather than a week later when ATI release drivers that are compatible with it :)

Oh god not this again. Believe me, that ship has saled, this simply does not happen any more.

If you want the best bang for buck right now, it IS the 4890, there is no doubt about, it is simply better value that the 275, however if you really insist of not buying ATI products then get the 275, you will just be spending more for the same performance.

Associate
When are the new cards I keep hearing about going to make their appearance? I am in the same situation as Skeeter (8800 GT) and feel its time for a new card. At the same time if the DX11 generation cards are right around the bend I might just manage to sit on my hands. *eyes the mouse longingly*

I was considering just getting another 8800 GT and trying my hand at an SLI rig (it would be a first for me) but honestly it seems as though the 8800 GTs still out there aren't going super cheap. What would be the difference between 8800 GT's SLIed vs 4890?

Just for reference the two games I am eyeing right now are Modern Warfare 2 and the new Total War.

Caporegime
OP
Oh god not this again. Believe me, that ship has saled, this simply does not happen any more.

If you want the best bang for buck right now, it IS the 4890, there is no doubt about, it is simply better value that the 275, however if you really insist of not buying ATI products then get the 275, you will just be spending more for the same performance.

Even a brief look at the Shift thread shows that the ATI users are having issues and awaiting a driver update to fix them... so clearly not.

But the last ATI card I had was a 9800pro years and years ago that never caused me any issues till I cooked it, which tought me the importance of a decent warranty. My current preference to nVidia ist founded on anything other than the fact ive had a few and they have been great. Ive never actually had any of the ATI issues people rave about. So like I said, its completely irrational, but my last 2 cards have been BFG nVidia cards, so ive got some trust in them.

Anyway, what is the Sapphire warranty like on ATI cards? Its the cheapest 4890 from a name i recognise and would trust.

Soldato
NFS shift runs ok even on my 3870 at 2048x1152.....what sort of issues are they having?

Anyway best bang/buck nvidia card is the Palit GTX 260 I think, but a 4890 is about the same cost and loads faster...

Associate
ok, the 275 IS more expensive but weigh up that its quieter and more economical at idle and load. If you don't play games all the time then it may well be worth paying the extra 10-20 for the 275.
Having said that I'm waiting to see how load the new cards are

With Shift out and the demo downloaded to play when I get home, and Dirt 2 on the way, my 8800GT is starting to feel the strain. Whats the best band for buck card about at the moment for under £200 that will last me a good while (had the 8800GT since launch)? Is it worth looking second hand for a card?

Ive been out of touch with graphics cards for ages so need any advice yo can give :)

Cheers

if your in a hurry, get a 4870 for £99 now from OCUK as it has 2 years priority warranty. screw the 4890 as there's barely any notable difference in performance.

then If you wanted to, in three months I promise youl be able to flog it on the bay for £90 with the warranty cover it has, add some more shillings and pick up a DX11 Ati card.

Last edited:
Associate
Don't understand, the OP comes on asking for advice on best card 'bang for buck' for around £150.

He then declares he is totally anti-ATI.

No problem with personal preferences but then I don't understand the question. Surely that just leaves the 275 as the card that meets the criteria.

Cheers,

Nigel

Soldato
I feel that I should point out, if you buy a 4890 that has a decent cooler rather than the OEM design, then you will pay more like £140-£150 for it, which is also the price you can buy this 275 for, so really, it comes down to which you prefer. I wouldn't buy one of the cheaper 4890s with the OEM coolers, really I wouldn't, not if you like your computer to be quiet.

Of course you could change the cooler yourself, but by the time you have done that, it'll have cost you as much as just buying one with a better cooler from the outset anyway.

I stress the cooler issue as the stock ATI oem cooler is noisy as hell.

Last edited:
Soldato
I feel that I should point out, if you buy a 4890 that has a decent cooler rather than the OEM design, then you will pay more like £140-£150 for it, which is also the price you can buy this 275 for, so really, it comes down to which you prefer. I wouldn't buy one of the cheaper 4890s with the OEM coolers, really I wouldn't, not if you like your computer to be quiet.

Of course you could change the cooler yourself, but by the time you have done that, it'll have cost you as much as just buying one with a better cooler from the outset anyway.

I stress the cooler issue as the stock ATI oem cooler is noisy as hell.

Worst than them x1900xt's were? just curious really :)

Soldato
TBH its the powercolor ones i've heard people whining about the noise on more than any others?

Well that's the one I had in mind actually, those are the cheapest ones, the £20 ones people rave about.

The Zalman cooled XFX 4890 looks like a good buy, but it's about £5 cheaper than the Palit Geforce 275, so it's a toss up really between the two. The really cheap ones have all sold out now anyway.

Back
Top Bottom