Best Budget gaming monitor? Modern fast ips up there with TN?

Associate
Hi All.

Currently gaming on a 50" plasma which isnt ideal.

im looking at getting a monitor i can put on the dining table of an evening instead. It will be solely used for gaming, so i figured id get a fast one.

We have a bunch of monitors at my work so i tried some games at 24" 1080p, 27" 1080p, and 27" 1440p. I preferred the 27 over the 24, even at the same resolution. The 1440p did look better, but im not one to drop 500 quid on a gpu, and want to get more use from my 1070 for a while yet. I'm happy to sacrifice pixels for speed in this case.

So it looks as though 27" 1080p would be perfect.

Budget is as little as possible really. I usually turn to used in these cases, but there doesnt seem much about. Low stock levels have driven used prices up i suspect.

Ive seen gigabyte and AOC get mentioned quite a bit for budget screens.

I had VA monitors back in the 1280x1024 days, and use ips at home and work, so either of those is preferable over a TN.

If it could rotate to portrait it would be handy as it would be easier to hide behind the tv when not being used, but its not a deal breaker.

Anyone got any first hand experience of something that fits the bill, or aware of any to avoid?

Cheers

Associate
OP
There is this one on pre order.... i cant find a review on it yet though

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/iiya...medium=referral&utm_campaign=affiliategateway

Soldato
Prices are nuts at the moment, Acer has/had a solid 144HZ/IPS/Freesync screen for around the £140 mark but good luck finding it in stock.

Nitro VG240Y I think is the model name.

Soldato
Thanks. The VG240Y seems to be a 75hz 24 inch at first glance

Looked it up for you:

https://webcache.googleusercontent..../model/UM.QV0AA.P01+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Bit of an awkward name: "Acer Nitro VG240YPbiip" is the exact.

It's not 27" but I'd argue you're better off with a 24" monitor for 1080P, it's the sweet spot as far as pixel density goes. With 27" when sitting nearfield you're going to find image quality isn't quite as tight compared to a 24" of the same resolution.

Associate
OP
I saw that one. It does look good. Yeah ive thought about a 24. I did try a 24 against a 27, both 1080p and i did prefer the 27. I know what you mean though, its why i always use 1440p on a 27 for everything else. If it was MUCH cheaper than the 27 id go for a 24, but there isnt usually much in it.

Have you used one of these Acers?

Thanks

Soldato
I've used a handful over the years and they've been decent, although I would say it's best to take hardware in general on a case by case basis. All companies can and do release absolute lemons even if they're known for quality.

Associate
OP
Indeed. Thats very true. Its always a challenge with pc hardware as they often have many iterations of the same thing with slightly different model numbers etc. Not always easy to know the reviews match the models exactly.

Associate
OP
Im still going round and round on this one.

I did some more testing with a 24" 1080p, 27" 1080p and a 27" 1440p. I could make any of them work to be honest. The 27" 1080p monitor is a much cheaper monitor than the other two. And it doesnt look as nice, so its difficult to compare them in that respect. I get that its a low res for a 27, but even the 1440p looked better running non native at 1080p.

Im leaning towards a 24, largely for cost and ease of moving it about.

There are some 24" 1080p 144/165hz 1ms monitors for £170 ish in IPS, TN and VA.

If all specs are similar, are the TNs significantly better in speed than an IPS?

I dont really need colour accuracy, but ive avoided TN monitors because of memories of looking at a flat colour and seeing a clear gradient down the screen due to crappy top to bottom viewing angles. Are they better now in that regard?

Im tempted to just buy a TN and and IPS and see what i think, but id have to pay to ship it back.

Associate
OP
Ive updated the thread title as im now considering 24s more than i was. Has someone recently compared a TN against an IPS that are recent and similarly priced? Since this is purely for games, should i be looking at TN panels?

Cheers

Associate
OP
just to update this, i bought the Iiyama G-MASTER GB2470HSU-B1 monitor and i'm pretty happy with in. The menu system is pretty annoying, but once ive got it fine tuned, i should need to fiddle with it again. Its my first experience with fast monitors, but i love the smoothness.

Back
Top Bottom