Best build for £1700

Associate
Evening all,

As the title says really.

Switched to and built my first PC this time last year, it was built around the ryzen 7 3700x and 2080 super. Absolutely loved it, still do, but a family member wants to buy my whole set up off me for a reasonable price and it gives me an excuse to upgrade and build a new one.

£1700 is my budget for the whole thing. Already bought a new monitor but I’ll need new peripherals as well, and I know nothing about what makes a good keyboard/mouse.

I know stock is a bit scarce atm so I’m in no rush, but I think the new 3000 series is the way to go.

I’ve also been considering getting a PS5, but if I can get a PC built for that budget, that outperforms the PS5 as much as possible, I don’t see the point because I’m not overly fussed about the exclusives.

Thanks for any help.

Associate
Hey, welcome to the forum.

Peripheral choice is perhaps the most subjective of all things, for me a good mouse and keyboard are those that I can use long periods of times without any pain and enjoy using. Main decisions would be wireless or cable and mechanical keyboard or not. Other than that, any peripherals you have used in the past that you liked?

Without knowing too much about how you will be using the PC, here are some components you could start with:
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £884.14 (includes shipping: £13.20)

The memory does not have the tightest timings, so maybe get this RAM kit. For the CPU, you may want more cores, so the 5800x could be a good fit for you, but its quite the markup and not much noticeable for gaming according to many reviews (I suggest you watch/read some reviews and check benchmarks to see if its worth it):

Total: £618.68 (includes shipping: £8.70)

This would bring the base price to 200 quid more (i.e. just under 1100)

Pair either of these baselines with a 3070 or a 3080.

You will also need to:
- make a decision on air cooling (good options for around £50) or AIO (around £120-150).
- throw in your choice of mouse and keyboard
- Add any additional storage you might need
- decide if you want Wifi on your motherboard or not

Hope these get you something to get started with. Others will hopefully chip in with some suggestions too.

Associate
OP
Hey, welcome to the forum.

Peripheral choice is perhaps the most subjective of all things, for me a good mouse and keyboard are those that I can use long periods of times without any pain and enjoy using. Main decisions would be wireless or cable and mechanical keyboard or not. Other than that, any peripherals you have used in the past that you liked?

Without knowing too much about how you will be using the PC, here are some components you could start with:
Total: £884.14 (includes shipping: £13.20)

The memory does not have the tightest timings, so maybe get this RAM kit. For the CPU, you may want more cores, so the 5800x could be a good fit for you, but its quite the markup and not much noticeable for gaming according to many reviews (I suggest you watch/read some reviews and check benchmarks to see if its worth it):

Total: £618.68 (includes shipping: £8.70)

This would bring the base price to 200 quid more (i.e. just under 1100)

Pair either of these baselines with a 3070 or a 3080.

You will also need to:
- make a decision on air cooling (good options for around £50) or AIO (around £120-150).
- throw in your choice of mouse and keyboard
- Add any additional storage you might need
- decide if you want Wifi on your motherboard or not

Hope these get you something to get started with. Others will hopefully chip in with some suggestions too.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

The build will be for mostly gaming.

Thought as much on the keyboard/mouse situation. The ones I stated are the only ones I’ve ever used and they just felt so cheap. I’ll do a bit of research and read some reviews for that.

Thanks again, very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom