Best Bush/Hedge for Protection/Security/Privacy

Associate
Hi All

Looking to install a Log cabin at the end of our garden. At the moment we have a thick Conifer present which is 1.5-2, thick set back.

I think we will take half of this out (its 8-10m wide at present and id like to use the space well).

Is there an alternative that's just as strong/has the same privacy/security capabilities but can be maintained at say 50cm thick instead? This would then allow us to use the extra 1-1.5m to good use.

Any suggestions welcome, Wild Privet has been mentioned

Soldato
Hawthorne might be a good choice, if you could plant it for a year or two then lay it over you'd have a very good barrier (prickly). Privet is pain I have a lot and it can be layed to make a solid barrier but the bugger keeps chasing the light upward rather than bushing out well. I've read that Elder can also be layed to make a good hedge with the added bonus of a foragable resource. Haws can be picked too to make a nice Chinese style dipping sauce.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=351

RHS also suggest Sloe's for security which has the double bonus of a healthy fruit crop.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have put blackthorn in - just so I can have some Sloes - I now have a reasonable hedge but I do cut it back hard - I didn't really want one but when planning went in for affordable houses on field at bottom of garden I put them in - lost a few in first year but filled gaps with the spare ones I had left over and dug in.

Back
Top Bottom