1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best buys for PS2?

Discussion in 'Retro Gaming and Vintage Computing' started by J35T3R, 24 Mar 2019.

1. J35T3R

Gangster

I kinda missed the boat with this console, although I did own one briefly my total gaming experience extended to GT3, Killzone and Devil May Cry.

Considering the success of the console and games, I've hardly scraped the surface.

Guy from work kindly gave me his unused PS2 Slim for nothing so I feel obliged to dive in..

2. Minibiker

Soldato

My most played and most enjoyable game on the PS2 is Need For Speed Underground 2.. Id be playing it now if I had a PS2 setup... Everytime I see it now it takes me back to my younger days round my mates playing it non stop

3. Zefan

Don

Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3
    GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas
    Okami
    Jak and Daxter
    Timesplitters

If you missed out on PS1, then you now have the perfect opportunity to fix that too :p

It was on PC too!

4. Minibiker

Soldato

Yeah indeed it was but at the time I never thought id have a PC so it was all console...

GTA vice city was mint, I could play for hours on end

5. J35T3R

Gangster

I had a PS1 so I'm good on that front. In fact started to hunt for a few PS1 classics as I've also bought a PS3.

Was quite disappointed to discover PS4 backwards compatible only really existed on PS Now.

The Mrs is about to have a fit with my new setup...

6. vanpeebles

Sgarrista

All the Genki racing games, Kaido Battles, Tokyo Highways etc.

7. barmyllama

Man of Honour

Check out Metal Jesus Rocks on YouTube. He does hidden gems videos for most systems and there's probably at least 3 on his channel for the PS2.

8. Gary*

Hitman

Tony Hawks Pro skater series and Need for Speed Underground 2. Great games and hours of fun!

9. pingwing

Capodecina

Tony Hawk 3 and 4 only (underground is where it gets silly), Gran Tourismo 3 and 4 (3 has such good music), Time Crisis 2 if you have a CRT, Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, Jak and Daxter is well worth it (the first one at least), another vote for all 3 GTA games - they work so well with the ps2 pad, there's plenty more out there and another vote up for Metal Jesus - he tends to have some really good/surprise games, especially when Reggie turns up with some shooters. Final thought is Burnout 2 and 3, first is too raw but those were immense (and 3 is the main reason I'm going to pick up a ps2 again)

Weirdly I still think Need for Speed Underground 2 was one of the biggest waste of times I've ever played (and completed), mostly as the racing was really wooden and you couldn't take the spinners off the cars!!!!

10. J35T3R

Gangster

Which Burnout game had the crash simulator where you had to rack up a money value of destruction?

11. 8myers8

Gangster

DODONPACHI DAI-OU-JOU is the best PS2 off all time in my eyes ...

12. pingwing

Capodecina

2 and 3 :D

2 was the original fun one and probably the one you're thinking of

13. One Vision

Perma Banned

Maximo 1 and 2

14. kinger8938

Capodecina

Silent hill 2. Probably one of the best horror games out there. Holds up well, I played through it for the first time in recent years.

Burnout 3 takedown is fantastic as above

15. SickAsAParrot

Hitman

Gotta play Silent Hill 2 again, I too was given a freebie PS2 a few years ago and built up a small collection of reasonable-to-good games. Started playing SH2, didn't get very far I don't think, stumbling around a hotel in the dark not knowing what to do next, then got drawn away by something new and sparkly on the Xbox.

16. J35T3R

Gangster

So far I have the 1st 3 games in the Ratchet and Clank series to look forward too.

17. phatboy

Soldato

Gradius V is also absolutely brilliant!

Ridge racer V although a release day title was pretty cracking, castle of shikogami 2 (spelling?), Burnout 2 and Revenge, auto modellista

18. Uncle_Gravy

Mobster

Burnout games are fun
    Final Fantasy x
    God of War games
    GTA 3/VC/SA
    MGS 2+3
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Tony Hawks games (3 will always remain my all time fave since it was my first ever ps2 games) wasn't a big fan of 4, I did enjoy the story mode for Underground 1&2

19. J35T3R

Gangster

I've added to my small collection with 2 PS1 games.... Alien Trilogy and MDK. Really excited to play MDK again after 20 years plus.

On the PS2 front I've also bought XIII and POP, Sands of Time. Both games I've always wanted to play through.

Already have MGS HD collection for the PS3. Will have to source the first game mind.

Oh and Quake 2 for the PS1.

Wasnt impressed how PS1 games run on the PS3 so hopefully they look better on the PS2.

20. Double07

Wise Guy