Best cooler/heatskin for Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 SSD

Associate
Hi!

I would like to buy a cooler/heatskin for my Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 SSD.
What do you think what is the best choise? Please reccomend me.

Thank you

Soldato
I'm just going to quote what I posted a few weeks ago. Saves a bit of typing on my part. ;)
If you search a popular auction site, you can find Jonsbo heatsinks for under £10. I bought one and installed it a few months ago, as I was worried that my usage of the drive during the warm weather would be doing it no good.

The idle temperatures stayed the same, but the temperature while briefly active didn't move much away from the idle temperature. When it active for longer, it seemed to increase gradually, before gradually decreasing again when idle.

Even where my 500 GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus was reaching nearly 60c during constant activity, it would only reach about 45c doing the same task with the heatsink.

Associate
You don't need a heatsink for most NVMe drives and even then it's best to make sure it only makes contact with the controller. You can usually do that by removing part of the thermal pad so it only makes contact with the controller chip.
The controllers themselves can handle fairly high temperatures before they start throttling, even if they get to 70C~80C. Even when they throttle and get to >90C, it should still be fine since that's within spec for most of them.
As for the NAND, you shouldn't put a heatsink on that because it decreases its long term reliability, NAND works best when it's hot.

Also if you think putting a heatsink on your drive will help with write speeds, make sure your writes are decreasing because of thermal throttling first. Write speeds will drop considerable on most drives once they exhaust their pSLC cache.

Back
Top Bottom