Best EQ app for Beyerdynamic MMX 300 headset for gaming?

Associate
Hello

I have a Beyerdynamic MMX 300 headset that plugs into a Xonar AE soundcard via 3.5mm jack.

I bought this new gear as i was only using these trashy surround sound hardware/software headsets and i wasn't able to pin point footsteps and gunshots correctly. But now with this new gear i know where to look and hear sound directions perfectly.

Only problem is the overall sound balance and EQ is off. I've been using the Sonic Studio 3 to change bass and trebble settings etc but everything sounds too low. When i turn the volume up i can hear the atmosphere and life of the game better but then gunshots and explosions are like 500% to loud haha.

I miss dolby atmos because it made my games sound beautiful but it also ruined to positional sound. So i don't know what to do right now!

I tried to google best sound setups and EQ for gaming with my headset but i don't even know if i should be using a better EQ app/mixer?

Can anyone offer some advice please?

Thanks

Associate
Have you tried enabling "windows sonic for headphones"? It should add what you're looking for and still makes you able to figure out positions, slightly different to the dolby ones u can download. It should be in the audio device settings for windows in the list of output devices: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10-ca2700a0-6519-448d-5434-56f499d59c96

Just make sure your games are set to stereo 2.0 sound and not virtual 3d of any kind, those never really work as well as the standard 2 speaker audio. So you only hear the sound on one side if its coming from directly that side. I've been reliant on sound myself for years in fps, using a lower fov for better acc so audio position was important to me. I use dt990 pros with an amp/dac myself, no adjustments to the eq or windows sonic. I find adding things like more bass can cause issues with ear fatigue from the constant blasts/shots. Headphones like the closed back dt770 pro we're the go-to for bass lovers though over something like the open ear 990.

There's always Peace equalizer you could play around with too if that's no good, I've used it for years just to boost mic gain myself but it has the full eq and can save settings and not be required to run in the background, much better than voicemeeter for not adding to system load. https://sourceforge.net/projects/peace-equalizer-apo-extension/

Associate
OP
ok thanks. I'll do some testing with sonic enable in Hunt Showdown tomorrow. I'll try the peace EQ as you say if i still need to troubleshoot. I'll let you know what i discover mate, thanks

Associate
Equalizer APO with the Peace ui. Can do anything EQ wise and it's easy to find presents for a huge range of headphones.

Soldato
I would also double check that the Xonar soundcard isn't adding its own effects/EQ.

I've owned the MMX 300 and found it great for isolating noise/gunfire

You should be able to use Dolby Atmos app on Windows too :) I found it great, by comparison.

Soldato
Bass of Beyers is at 200Hz and below.
So equalizing that part down would help at least to "rumbling" explosions.
But gunshots include also higher frequency components present also in other sounds.
So not sure how well gunshots could be toned down.

And have you tested is that sound balance whacked up already in game?
I wonder if that Sonic Studio does some on the fly analyzing and amplifies sudden "impulse" sounds...
Wouldn't be the first time for Asus to use "less than optimal" algorithms. (earlier Dolby Headphone bloated bass)

So try without Sonic Studio's processing.
That would tell if sound balance is bad/wrong already in the game.
(In which case, does game have volume controls for different sounds?)

Back
Top Bottom