Best fans for H-50 cooler

Associate
Antec 900
Corsair H-50 prime 10min:
Intake Antec 76-69
Intake Corsair 78-71
Exhaust Corsair 85-79
Intake Antec>Corsair pushpull 73-66
Best fan setup was push pull intake using Antec>Rad>Corsair although the corsair only made 3c lower at max temps!

Reading the review at http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/antec_kuehler_hamp8322o_920_cpu_cooler_review,14.html
The intake Swift2-120p are the best I was just wondering are there any better ones?

What is the best fan for this cooler that can change the noise as I game with headphones on but like to watch movies at night!

What thermalpaste is best for this cooler, currently have AS5 but someone reccomended MX3?

Is it worth changing stock antec fans as they are good but can get a little noisy on full

Soldato
Thermal paste - try the IC Diamond stuff.

As for fans, you can either go with 1850rpm Gentle Typhoons, though they are quiet fans there only 3pin and can't be PWM controlled.

If your want PWM controlled fans, you should be looking at the Akasa Vipers, near silent below ~75-80% and high performance. Another alternative would be Akasa Apache, silent under most operations, though not as high performance as the GT's or vipers.

Associate
Don't bother changing the paste, the stock stuff on the corsair ones is pretty good. If you're going to then the IC diamond should show slightly better temps.

Associate
Thermal paste - try the IC Diamond stuff.

As for fans, you can either go with 1850rpm Gentle Typhoons, though they are quiet fans there only 3pin and can't be PWM controlled.

If your want PWM controlled fans, you should be looking at the Akasa Vipers, near silent below ~75-80% and high performance. Another alternative would be Akasa Apache, silent under most operations, though not as high performance as the GT's or vipers.

This.

Plus real fnatic-MSI Lighters? ;)

Associate
OP
Just finished reading: http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/corsair_h50_cpu_cooler_review,1.html

Seems them swift fans are good but apparently extremely loud and PWM control so thats a defo no-no.

With PWM do I need a unit to turn fans up down or can I do this in windows/on case like my antec 900 fans? CBA having a fan unit

PGI917 - I am not bothered about PWM fans if they provide superior cooling over my current setup and are a little bit quieter but Ideally it would be the very best possible solution for cooling and then able to be on silent for when I watch a movie at night.
Gentle Typhoons the best you reccomended yes?
Akasa viper sounds alright but are they much worse than the typhoons

Please do Acolyte

I changed the paste about a year ago and wasnt supplied with any. Just want the very best paste possible because people told me there was better stuff than AS5

and yes the real fnatic-Msi Lighters :D

Associate
Just finished reading: http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/corsair_h50_cpu_cooler_review,1.html

Seems them swift fans are good but apparently extremely loud and PWM control so thats a defo no-no.

With PWM do I need a unit to turn fans up down or can I do this in windows/on case like my antec 900 fans? CBA having a fan unit

PGI917 - I am not bothered about PWM fans if they provide superior cooling over my current setup and are a little bit quieter but Ideally it would be the very best possible solution for cooling and then able to be on silent for when I watch a movie at night.
Gentle Typhoons the best you reccomended yes?
Akasa viper sounds alright but are they much worse than the typhoons

Please do Acolyte

I changed the paste about a year ago and wasnt supplied with any. Just want the very best paste possible because people told me there was better stuff than AS5

and yes the real fnatic-Msi Lighters :D

The diamond past is the best you can get as far as I'm aware and PWM fans are the best because you can control what percentage speed they use in either your bios or by a program(I forget the name). So you could just turn them down at night when you are going to watch a film. Get the Typhoons.

Whats happened to fnatic these days anyway, ain't heard anything about them in time!.

Associate
OP
Will get the diamond paste and the Typhoons then unless someone can suggest why I shouldnt. However you said PWN are better and they suit my needs but you then said get the Typhoons which arent PWN as they are 3pin?

Associate
Will get the diamond paste and the Typhoons then unless someone can suggest why I shouldnt. However you said PWN are better and they suit my needs but you then said get the Typhoons which arent PWN as they are 3pin?

Ah thought the Typhoons were PWN :(. I would suggest getting the Vipers then so you can adjust the speeds. You will still be able to overclock well enough with them. To get the Typhoons you would need to get a Fan controller as well but you don't want that.

Permabanned
if you read reviews for the product, youll prob find that people have changed the fans and also mention what fans they changed to
i remember the names apache akasa and also scythe coming to mind. other than that i cannot be of much help!

Associate
OP
Ok after some research I dont know if its worth changing my setup as its currently good.

Current:
Antec Tricool 3 speed
low 1200rpm, 38cfm, 25db
med 1600rpm 56cfm 28db
high 2000rpm 79cfm 30db

Out of all the fans below only the viper is worth getting as it pushes slightly more air with a smaller amount of noise. It also mentions
the Viper fan creates more focused airflow providing blind-spot cooling, which makes it an ideal solution for a case or heatsink fan. HDB (Hydro Dynamic)
will this be better or is it just marketing BS?

AKASA AK-FN059 HDB Viper Fan - High performance S-FLOW blade PWM fan inc rubber mounting pins 120mm
1900rpm 83.63cfm 28.9 dB PWM

Scythe Gentle Typhoon 3000 RPM Cooling Fan 120mm
3000 rpm 83cfm 36.5 dB

Noctua NF-P14 FLX Vortex-Control 120/140mm Quiet Case Fan
1200rpm 64.9cfm 19.6db

Noctua NF-S12B FLX Ultra Quiet Flexible (Veri-Speed) 120mm Cooling Fan
1200rpm 60cfm 18db

Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM Cooling Fan 120mm
1850rpm 57.6cfm 28db

Akasa Apache Black Ultra Silent AK-FN058 Fan HDB bearing PWM fan 120mm
1300 rpm 57.53cfm 16.05 dB

Noctua NF-P12 Vortex-Control Quiet Case Fan (Using Vortex-Control Notches) 120mm
1300rpm 54.3cfm 19.8db

Corsair fan AK174CB-4BLB 120mm
1700rpm 29db 59cfm

Unless someone can find me a better fan that pushes more air than 83 @ 28db then I have decided to get the viper!

Next is the thermalpaste, what is best paste to get specifically for my H-50 cooler, I notice some paste gets stuck inside the screwheads and is near impossible to clean! http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/1025/corsair_h50_base.jpg

Will anything be better than my AS5? IC Diamon is out of stock, Larkooler Thercool SI-300? Thermalright Chill Factor 2 - *Tested as No1 Best Performing Thermal Paste

Edit- About fnatic we were taking a break as we didnt have a 5man stable LU, linq went into inactivity and we have picked up miracle. Plan on attending all future LAN events so should be fun :D

EDIT 2 - The Antec KÜHLER H2O 920 CPU fans seem the best but I cant find them anywhere! 700-2400 rpm 27.4-43db 110cfm Those would be IDEAL! any help?

Last edited:
Soldato
You seem to be doing a lot of research about this but I have to wonder why you didn't research the cooler prior to buying it?

Even with a pair of apache's and decent thermal paste the temps weren't much better than what otehrs reported when I used one. Just quieter.

Infact I would be suprised if you get a decent improvement of temps and interested to hear how it goes for you after these changes. So please let us know :)

Associate
I'm using the H50 cooler with an apache black...

Scary temps at the moment which i'm trying to work out,

Idle 42deg
Load Prime95 15 minute - 98deg!

Associate
OP
TwsT - I bought the h-50 ages ago when they were first coming out and receiving really good reviews. I actually did some research and it was on comparison with the air cooler I was going to buy and I got it at an amazing price like £40delivered.

It was the best option as the ram I had at the time had large heatsinks and the orientation of my motherboard puts the ram at the top DX58SO so it was looking difficult to fit everything inside with my Antec 900 side fan.

What thermal paste did you use?

What I can tell from my own experience and the H-50 is that once the temps gets high it stays high, when my fans are on low it gets to 90+ when overclocking to 4ghz but when I have them on full they drop to lower 80's etc.

AS5 application also made huge difference aswell, a perfect blob actually made about 5c more than having a perfect horizontal line.

Still not pushed order on anything yet as I really want to find a place to buy those Kuhler fans as they push an amazing amount of air, The vipers seem nice but I dont know if its worth shelling out the cash for a 4cfm upgrade.

Associate
OP
Still after someone reccomending a paste better than AS5 that is available.

Also anyone know how to get those kuhler 920 fans or I will be ordering the akasa vipers!

Back
Top Bottom