Best forum software to avoid spammers

Soldato
Hi,

On one of my sites I had a phpBB forum installed that kept getting bombarded with spammers. I tried to adjust the difficulty of the CAPTCHA on sign up to no avail.

I've since deleted this install all together as it was getting out of hand, but am now left without a forum at all in the mean time.

What (free) forum software is best to stop spammers signing up and posting? I can't keep logging on everyday to get rid of false sign ups etc as it takes up way too much time.

Thanks for any help :)

Soldato
Hi,

In the past, i've had no problems with 'SMF'

Though i have not used it now for a couple months, though i have just re-installed on my site which im working on.

Soldato
OP
Yeah I've seen that one, could be an option.

Had a word with the client and he says a message board might be preferred, anyone know any decent options for this route?

Soldato
SMF seems to get hit hard with spammers as of late. Good thing is there are plenty of plugins available to combat them, stopping them shouldn't be too hard.

Associate
I've been having issues with (mainly) Russian Spamski on my phpBB3 install but after a quick search of the Mod database, I found and installed a CAPTCHA related Mod. A week later, nothing.

I found it best to just stop using CAPTCHA altogether and add a few questions in the sign up process instead. Not had a single spam post since then.

Back
Top Bottom