Best gaming memories

Associate
Mine is a long time ago, the original Playstation 1, resident evil loaded up and what a blast.

The game actually made me jump, I have played a lot of great games but that will never be beaten.

Soldato
Getting FFVII, it was my first JRPG and had my parents not bought me the guide I doubt I'd ever have finished it. I used it the whole way through and it's still my favourite game ever.

Other highlights are my friend getting me in to pc gaming with Quake. Playing worms around Christmas 97 it was just perfect, playing command and conquer for the first time.
I also recall when he had his and his dad's pc networked so we spent the whole summer holidays playing unreal tournament, quake 2 rail only and various other games.
More recently was WOW, I'll never enjoy a game as much as I did that for the first 3 years. These days I'm lucky to enjoy a game enough to even finish it.
Too many in the past to mention any way,. I grew up in the SNES and PS era so I really think that was the best time.

Soldato
Loads and loads but ...
Any game loading first time on my zx48k used to make me dance around like an idiot out of sheer joy.
My father used to bag C90s crammed full of games from work. Then it was the gauntlet of finding the sweet spot of tone and volume control to get those naughties loaded up. Isometric games like Fairlight used to blow me away but when Driller released with it's 0.5 FPS gameplay. Amazes!

Man of Honour
Halo 2 online, back when people weren’t anti social and everyone spoke on mics and formed parties with strangers.

I made friends for life playing that game, we still meet regularly in person and one of them was the best man at my wedding.

Online gaming these days is a cesspit in comparison.

Last edited:
Soldato
Last scene of Mass Effect. I chose the good path and it was a truly epic ending to a long campaign. Most emotional I've been at the end of a game ever and I've been gaming for 30 years

Soldato
Halo 2 online, back when people weren’t anti social and everyone spoke on mics and former parties with strangers.

I made friends for life playing that game, we still meet regularly in person and one of them was the best man at my wedding.

Online gaming these days is a cesspit in comparison.

Funnily enough I credit the Xbox 360 as the breeding ground for the toxic types who now exist as standard.

Soldato
Counter strike when it first came out on line with a 56k modem. Almost everyone online was good laugh and very positive, in comparison to the angst now from the numerous perpetual teenagers on line now.

Caporegime
Playing Bomberman on the NES with my cousin, also playing Duck shot.

Finishing Zelda A Link to the Past with everything, every heart, every bottles, every item in the game without using a guide, also figured out the best order to do the dungeons to get best upgrades early. I played that game so many times I knew everything.

Using the 6th Form's new computer network to play Quake when it first came out with 16 players. There was no such a thing as a IT security back then.

Soldato
Playing Bomberman on the NES with my cousin, also playing Duck shot.

Finishing Zelda A Link to the Past with everything, every heart, every bottles, every item in the game without using a guide, also figured out the best order to do the dungeons to get best upgrades early. I played that game so many times I knew everything.

Using the 6th Form's new computer network to play Quake when it first came out with 16 players. There was no such a thing as a IT security back then.

Played that one summer with a friend who never really got that far, we got all the items and sword upgrades but think we were missing one or two heart pieces. He never really got that far on it but I liked it so I pushed him to keep playing. I really wanted to play after the end and talk to the villagers because I wanted to know what they'd say now you had defeated Gannon. I don't really get that feeling any more.

Soldato
In general, long days as a child playing various C64 games and, later, SNES stuff.

For specific in-game moments, I think the one-way glass Licker in Resident Evil 2 stands out.

Kicking down the ladder in Undead Burg in Dark Souls and suddenly being aware of the scope of the level design and mapping as you land back where you were some time ago.

The scene with Holiday's death in the first FEAR expansion was a heck of a moment too. **** me right up.

A couple of awesome Champ Manager careers have lasting memories too.

Soldato
Oh specific moments:

Getting to the world map in FFVII after the more linear start. Also the Gold Saucer blew my mind, and pretty much every FMV.
Completing Star Road on Mario World and the changes to the enemies after.
Tranquillity Lane in Fallout 3.
Wii Bowling blew my mind.
Discovering the bird in Kakariko village Zelda LTTP.
The Dinosaur tech demo on the Playstation demo disc you got with the console.
The crumple physics on destruction Derby.
How big world of warcraft felt in general.
HL2 Ravenhome.
Coming across the sub in Uncharted.

Could go on all day lol

Associate
I always remember firing Sonic the Hedgehog up on the mega drive Christmas morning and playing it nonstop.
The FF7 intro was another one I always remember.

Caporegime
Played that one summer with a friend who never really got that far, we got all the items and sword upgrades but think we were missing one or two heart pieces. He never really got that far on it but I liked it so I pushed him to keep playing. I really wanted to play after the end and talk to the villagers because I wanted to know what they'd say now you had defeated Gannon. I don't really get that feeling any more.

It's actually quite a short game if you know it inside out, can easily do it in 1 day/sitting. Some of the heart pieces are quite difficult to find or rely on an element of luck though, some are buried in some areas so you just need to dig around, but you need to have known that in the first place. Some involve flipping between the light and dark world in order to get onto certain ledges for access, some are behind the mini games, a few are in the rivers.

I am not sure you could go back to the village after credit roll? I don't remember you can do that.

Soldato
When I was the first to get an Atari 2600 and all my neighbours came to check it out, we were like 15 kids in my parents living room and we almost destroyed my joystics playing Decathlon.

Soldato
Team Fortress Classic playing in clans and leagues. Real life friends and online friends from all over. Fun, intense times of organizing, strategizing, training, scrimmaging and playing league matches. Some amazing games it'll never be like that again. 56k modem as well with 300+ pings for the first couple of years.

Back
Top Bottom