Best gaming memories

Caporegime
Goldeneye multiplayer for hours on end back in the day, taping up TVs so that your opponent couldn't see your etc....

PC wise definitely the sense of community in CS pre Source, met a lot of good people on here as part of the [OcUK] clan, LANs, iLan etc. Good times.

Man of Honour
Funnily enough I credit the Xbox 360 as the breeding ground for the toxic types who now exist as standard.

The 20 something’s that make up the majority of online players, and the majority of toxic players, were not playing online during the Halo 2 days.

People who were online back then in 2004 are too old to be good enough at games to trash talk these days.

Soldato
The 20 something’s that make up the majority of online players, and the majority of toxic players, were not playing online during the Halo 2 days.

People who were online back then in 2004 are too old to be good enough at games to trash talk these days.

Guess it depends on the game. Dude bro games like halo and cod etc yes. Ones that require using your brain or slower I don't think age matters.

Soldato
- FF7 major character moment (nothing will top this)
- FF7 getting gold chocobo
- RE2 one way glass
- MGS controller vibrating
- Loads AoE 2 matches
- C&C Red Alert first few times
- Zelda BoTW getting the paraglider
- Serious Sam co-op
- Quake2/3, Unreal tournament, DM

D4N

D4N

Associate
Going into an independent game shop (remember them!) and playing a Japanese imported copy of Super Mario 64 before the N64 had been released over here. I knew straight away I had to get one upon it’s release over here.

Soldato
One of my best memories was having to play Secret of Monkey Island 2 Le Chucks Revenge at a mates house cos my dad's business IBM wouldn't play it. We'd get stuck somewhere so I'd ride my bike home, fire up the 2400bps modem and find some hints online then ride back to carry on with the game.

Actual gaming moment memories definitely the cosmo canyon fmv in FFVII when the old guy talks about the universe and how it's all tied together. That really hit me in the feels. Second to that was seeing all the Summons appear in FFVII

Man of Honour
Guess it depends on the game. Dude bro games like halo and cod etc yes. Ones that require using your brain or slower I don't think age matters.
Do you get toxic behaviour like you suggested in games that require intelligence?

I don't really see it in RTS games, only FPS games of which none require much intelligence to excel at.

Soldato
Secret of Mana. I saw a single, tiny screenshot in a magasine while on holiday and thought it looked amazing. This was around 1991. Back then there was sod all internet and it was a slow drip feed of info over the next few years until release day. I'd saved for a multitap, US converter and imported it from the States. And it was amazing. Summer holiday, 3 player with my bro and best mate. Even at the time I knew it didn't get better than this :)

It still has the best soundtrack of any video game, in my totally biased opinion.

Soldato
Getting the day off school to go and buy Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

Going down to the local arcade after school to play Street Fighter 2 with some mates.

Getting fastest time on the first track in Sega Rally on the first night in a holiday to Tenerife and it still being there when I left in two weeks time.

Making stupid looking characters on WWF Smackdown and having wrestling tourneys with friends.

4 player Bomberman and Goldeneye.

First time I finished Vault of Glass in Destiny 1.

I could keep going but that'll do for now I think.

Associate
A big memory of mine is from 2001. Just after my birthday I had a bit of cash from my parents and other family members, I think over £100.

My original plan was to buy some RAM for my PC, I think I wanted to add 128mb but I'm not certain on that. But on the whole I wasn't really certain on exactly what I wanted, maybe a new keyboard? Some speakers? I don't know.

So one Friday morning on the way to school I asked my mum if she'd take me to PC world on the way home from school to potentially spend my birthday money depending on what I saw. I used to see all of the latest peripherals and stuff in PC Format magazine so I was well aware of what was going to be there.

We get to PC world and I'm looking around, and I see Max Payne for sale. I think it had come out either that day, or the week before. It was very new anyway. So immediately it was on the top of the list. I had a look around the shop, my mum trying to hurry me up. After looking around the shop about ten times I eventually decided that I'd get Max Payne and the new MS Intellimouse(?), the white one with the red laser. At the time I still had a mouse with a ball and these new optical mice were exciting new tech.

So there I am, Friday night. Playing Max Payne with my new mouse in my bedroom with the lights off, marveling at this amazing game and the cool red glow coming from under my mouse.

It sounds ridiculous, but that is my fondest gaming memory.

Soldato
My best moments are

Playing Asteroids and Pacman so much on Atari 2600 that i could go on forever
Beating Alex Kid in Miracle World on the Master System
Buying a imported Dreamcast before it was released in UK
Booting up Playstation 1 and being so impressed with Wipeout and it's Club soundtrack
Addicted to every Ridge Racer game that came out
Loving Light Gun games

I could keep on going so many moments when gaming was more raw and better, complete without being the play tester it seems we are these days

Soldato
Hired a sega megadrive for 24 hrs with sonic before i could afford one. Stayed up nearly all night playing it.

First time i played planetside. Was my first introduction to online gaming and got me into the mmo genre.

Associate
Winning the European Cup with Derby County on Sensible World of Soccer. Then getting the Wales International manager job and guiding them to World Cup glory. The amiga was great.

Other than that one of my mates showing me his Spectrum 48k with a tape of hungry horace, orbiter, scramble, invaders and some others.

Back
Top Bottom