Best gaming memories

Soldato
Other than that other moments that stand out:
  • Getting a cheat code and my name published in C&VG magazine for infinite lives on Target Renegade.

I was struggling with Robocop on the C64, in my young head i thought it a good idea to call the software company!

Explained my predicament with reception who put me through to the game developers - who only gave me the fricking cheat code for inf lives!!!!

Sent it off to (i think) Zzap 64 and got my name and the code printed :)

Soldato
I was struggling with Robocop on the C64, in my young head i thought it a good idea to call the software company!

Explained my predicament with reception who put me through to the game developers - who only gave me the fricking cheat code for inf lives!!!!

:D Nice work. Must have been before the days of 0898, 50p per minute numbers that gave you game cheats.

Soldato

Wasn't robocop unfinished when they shipped it, so they put an impossible time limit on the last finished level :D

Might have been a different system than the C64, though (I forget)

Soldato
Wasn't robocop unfinished when they shipped it, so they put an impossible time limit on the last finished level :D

Might have been a different system than the C64, though (I forget)
I had it on the spectrum and cant remember getting very far however walkthrough here on youtube and its only 15 minutes long! Were games really that short back then? Feel like I used to play for hours but don't remember completing many, if any.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leoXDJ6vRqU - Spoiler alert - Dick Jones dies at the end.

Soldato
Like others, a lot of 4 player memories around the N64. Absolutely loved playing Mario Golf, Smash Brothers, Perfect Dark, Goldeneye on that console. One of my standout memories though has got to be opening Ocarina of Time on Christmas Day 1998 and just being in awe at the game. Still get emotional thinking about it now.

Another one was getting Metal Gear Solid on release and having to check the case for the codec frequencies to save the data - interesting way to combat piracy :)

Caporegime
Like others, a lot of 4 player memories around the N64. Absolutely loved playing Mario Golf, Smash Brothers, Perfect Dark, Goldeneye on that console. One of my standout memories though has got to be opening Ocarina of Time on Christmas Day 1998 and just being in awe at the game. Still get emotional thinking about it now.

Another one was getting Metal Gear Solid on release and having to check the case for the codec frequencies to save the data - interesting way to combat piracy :)

1998 was a totally epic Christmas. F Zero X, Turrok 2, Zelda OOT, Star Wars Rogue squadron, 1080, Snowboard kids, Body Harvest (The father of 3d GTA) and Banjo Kazooie just to name a few. In our group we all wrote a list of the games we would all get and swap them about. Remember carts in the 90's were £50 a pop at least. That is £93 in today's money! Kids today do not know they were born with their Gamepass!

Soldato
1998 was a totally epic Christmas. F Zero X, Turrok 2, Zelda OOT, Star Wars Rogue squadron, 1080, Snowboard kids, Body Harvest (The father of 3d GTA) and Banjo Kazooie just to name a few. In our group we all wrote a list of the games we would all get and swap them about. Remember carts in the 90's were £50 a pop at least. That is £93 in today's money! Kids today do not know they were born with their Gamepass!

Absolutely spot on - I got Turok 2 that Christmas, my mate got 1080, Rogue Squadron and OOT too. Honestly the N64 era was amazing, loved being huddled around a 19" 4:3 TV playing multiplayer and swapping games with mates in the playground.

Associate
So many gaming memories:-

Playing Decathlon, Pac Man and Phoenix on the Atari 2600 - when I was about 5-6 maybe?
My sister getting the green screen Amstrad - playing games like Dizzy - which I played for hours but didnt get anywhere
C64 - International Soccer and The Last Ninja
Amiga - numerous games - Commando, Bombjack, Cannon Fodder.
SNES - Mario Kart
PS1 - Resident Evil
PC - played Star Wars Galaxies for about 8years, was an amazing game at times.
Finally got a X360 for my son in 2008/9 and Gears of War 2 - so many great experiences

There are so many i've missed tbh.

Now im excited for Elden Ring, hoping for the best after the huge disappointment of BF2042.

Soldato
I think I pretty much enjoyed everything from my past gaming, going back to the 90s and early 00s. Finishing school getting loads of time to play and at weekends. Not worrying as much about bugs and issues with games because the internet was not there or as established like it is now to highlight these things as much. Also new games seemed to release one after the other and great games as well. Now it feels like you're waiting forever for a really good game to come along because you read news about something on the internet and the devs announce something and it gets hyped for the next 10yrs.

Associate

Ah Body Harvest, what a game. I only recently found out DMA Design was renamed to Rockstar.

Associate
My first ever game - Turrican on the Amiga. kept falling into the waterfall on the very first screen...might have given up on gaming there and then if my then Gf (now wife) hadnt come in and jumped it first time....

Playing Gods, The Chaos Engine, Cannon Fodder and Rainbow Islands - again all on the Amiga.

Getting my first ever PC - a Gateway Pentium and firing up some helicopter game with al new "voxel" technology.

Hours pounding round Monza in Geoff Crammonds GP2

Many hundreds of hours playing Team Fortress Classic.

Thousands of hours playing my first ever MMO - Lord of the Rings Online

Finally getting a console (PS4) and completing HZD, Days Gone and God of War - all fantastic.

Soldato
I have hundreds (though I won't bore you with them all!)

Ghosts n Goblins being my favorite arcade game. On holidays I'd always be looking out for it and begging the parents for the money to play it.
Dungeon Master - the amount of time I spent with half my party dead to realise what the altar of rebirth actually meant!
Turrican 2 - pretty much everything about that game was amazing!
Treasure Island Dizzy - first Dizzy game I played and I've played pretty much all of them since!
Kick Off 2 - whilst Microprose soccer on the C64 was my favorite footy game at the time - KO2 on the Amiga was just amazing
Bubble Bobble - the amount of time, on the C64, I've spent with my brother trying to beat this game is untrue!
SWoS - can't have KO2 without SWoS being mentioned - to have all the teams and all the players amazed me - the manager option was just amazing
Elite 2: Frontier - I was addicted to this game for a good while - nearly getting Elite status. Most of my time was spent trying to get all the passes to the planets, etc.

If we are talking specifically consoles then:

Resident Evil on the PS1 - this was one of the reasons I got the console, amazing game, hard as nails at times and the jump scares were epic
Metal Gear Solid - superb game where by you could hide in a box, so obvious but really well done, swopping the controller ports over for the psychic fight, so many good ideas

M.

Soldato
- On holiday in Blackpool in 1983, walking down the promenade past the arcades I noticed this one arcade machine which was a big wooden cabinet which you could sit in, with the words "Star Wars" on the side, with like Darth Vader et al all over it. What's this I thought. Ambled over to it to watch the guy playing on it as you do. Jaw relocated itself from my chin line to ground level. I remember this vividly.

- First log in to Ultima Online in 2000 and quickly realising, bloody hell, you can play games with other people, and its live and online! Never been so addicted to a game before or since.

- Defeating the boss Manus on Dark Souls, after 2 full solid days of trying, including multiple rage quits and vowing never to even look at the game again several times.

Soldato
Probably The Burning Crusade era in WOW.

I was main tank for a server leading guild. I was actually running two tanks just to be able to help out in Zul'Aman for the bear mounts without suffering lockouts.

I was also meeting up with one of our main healers, to, you know. A mentally ill single mum from Crawley.

It was a good time. Glorious years.

Back
Top Bottom