Best Grand Prix in Europe

Associate
What’s your best Grand Prix in Europe for straights and action.
(Been to or just watched)
Thinking of booking a trip to watch one but which one I haven’t decided yet.

Looking at the ones left in Europe as could become quite expensive say a weekend in Singapore, Japan or US.

Also there is some amount of tickets to choose from are the prices the same no matter where you get them from? Like standardised or is there a way to get them cheaper, currently looking on the official F1 website.

Soldato
I always thought Hungary was worth a visit - nice place to visit away from the track (you're basically in Budapest), cheap tickets, food, accommodation, cheap flights too. The weather is usually scorching for the race and it often throws up some unexpected podiums.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all your reply’s so far I’m looking at Spa and Hungary. Hungary for all the things mentioned above as I never realised how cheap it could be. And spa because... it’s Spa!

Anyone thoughts on the Italian?

Even thought of Spain next year but not After this years it was pretty boring.

Associate
Went to the Italian on our honeymoon 7 years ago and we had a really good time. we’re were in the grandstand almost opposite the start line and saw the whole straight with the chicane and helped that the big tv was also within easy site.

Access to the track via train from Milan was easy and cheap, and the park is nice to walk around. Everyone was friendly and had a great experience.

I have always wanted to go to spa, and I would take a camper van to get the most out of the weekend.

Soldato
I'd have to say Spa though never have gone myself. I feel like I need to go next year though as it's the closest GP to us other than Silverstone, isn't it?

Man of Honour
Without a doubt it's Spa, usually a good race. If the weather changes then it can be a really chaotic race. :D
I did prefer the layout with the proper bus stop, but no, that's gone now.

In second, Monza for the atmosphere. Been a few years since I went there though, so hopefully they're a bit more friendly towards non Ferrari supporters.

Associate
Seemingly the hungary one is in like a natural bowl so you can see 3/4 of the track from anywhere.
That and the reasons mentioned above for it are the reason it's on the top of my list of gps to goto.

Associate
I went to Monza about 6 years ago (vettel won, with his silly blonde haircut) and the atmosphere was amazing.

Sat in the stands by the chicane at the end of the start/finish straight, tv directly opposite (read advice to add a special request text asking to be sat opposite it and it seemed to work out). Awesome being able to go onto the track afterwards also although was in a pretty dangerous place before they opened the gates tbh (literally myself and my now ex at the gate being pushed into it by the crowd gathering/pushing from behind)

Getting to/from Monza was a mission mind, ended up parking on an industrial estate nearby and walking over, technically could've been clamped but given the 100s of cars doing the same I banked on them not having enough wheel clamps even if they tried :D

Associate
OP
Spa would be my choice, its supposed to be a great weekend and cheaper than Silverstone as well lol
That’s why I fancied going somewhere hot for my first GP as when you price it some are cheaper than the British which doesn’t really make much sense considering it’s our home race.

Spa would be my choice, its supposed to be a great weekend and cheaper than Silverstone as well lol

Yes if you look on the site when purchasing tickets you get a little picture of what your view is and by looks of things you can see quite a lot.

I went to SPA in 2015 and it was amazing! Only thing id do different this time is either a Motorhome or a Hotel - A tent was a BAD Idea in the rain/storm after the GP

It’s looking like spa or Monza to choose from as the Hungarian GP looks to be pretty much sold out for half decent seats, must be popular!

Just noticed that Thomas cook and a couple other companies do package deals for the people who have been how did you go about it? Tickets, flights and hotels separate or through one of these companies? See they do transfers back and for to your hotel each day albeit probably not as early as you’d like To be there.
Also how do you know what’s happening in the rest of the race? Do you hear commentary or are there lots of large screens like the rugby.

Soldato
We booked it all separate, but booked camping and F1 tickets via campingf1.com

id avoid Thomas Cook at the moment.

We drove down, didnt take too long!

As for the race, there are a few big screens to follow the running order, tbh I re-watched it on Sky when I got home lol

Associate
As great as Spa is it rarely produces great F1 races nowadays, it's a shame because the layout is fantastic and there are lots of overtaking spots but for whatever reasons it has a habit of relying on rain to keep things interesting. We're due a good Spa GP, there's not been a memorable race since 2008.

Associate
If anyone says Monaco they should be banned from the forums until Ferrari win a WDC.

It is the best Grand Prix to attend though... if im going to be sat at one corner for an entire race anywhere on the calendar it's going to be 'tabac/louis chiron', there's not a better sight in motorsport than an F1 car creaming it through that section.

giphy.gif

Granted it may not deliver in terms of overtaking or close racing but when you're sat at one corner for an entire GP you miss most of the drama anyway and its generally a nightmare to keep track of everything that's going on like you would be able to from the comfort of your sofa at home. I find most people go to F1 events just to see F1 cars driving on the limit rather than in the hope of seeing lots of overtaking etc... hence why you regularly see packed out stands on parts of the track where there are never going to be overtakes.

On top of that its obviously a stunning location and just a great place to visit provided you don't mind dipping into your life savings :p

There's a reason why everyone involved in F1 looks forward to it so much, it may seem underwhelming to some people on TV but in person it's utterly amazing. Im a sucker for F1 cars driving round street tracks though, I adore Singapore as well.

Back
Top Bottom