1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best isp for gamer

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by timmy222, 2 May 2006.

1. timmy222

Wise Guy

guys, can you help, my friend needs a good gamer isp, he is with talk talk and is near throwing himself into the fire.
    They just throttle everything, and he cannot play eve online now.
    He will have his mac code soon and need to defect, can you gamers recomend a good isp for a gamer.

Regards Tim. :)

2. eternity

Gangster

I think Nildram as suppose to be good for gamers.

3. Fods

Gangster

do a search for Talk Talk reviews. Thats what i did before when i considered them. there hell on earth - apparently :p

4. tolien

Caporegime

Any decent ISP will be fine.

Suggests are one (or a combination of) a) give more detail b) put the search function of this forum to good use (since "recommend me an ISP" isn't exactly a rare question) or c) take a look at ADSLguide.

5. timmy222

Wise Guy

it may not

be a rare question, but with isp's changing the rules daily I wished for the best update information.
    Next time i will use another forum, as this has wounded you somewhat.
    Thanks for the guys whom took time to answer my question.

6. magick

Mobster

Is your friend cancelling his TalkTalk contract? I went onto to TalkTalk and I regretted it within 10 minutes of being connected. Should have stuck with BT. When I contacted TalkTalk they said to cancel the contract within 12 months would incur an £80 disconnection cost, has you friend also incurred the same disconnection cost?

7. timmy222

Wise Guy

you can get around the charge

They have to release a mac code to you on the phone, you can demand it.
    Otherwise they can release it via post within 5 days.
    They cannot hold you mac code to randsome.
    If you read the latest ofcom term and condititons about isp's you will see it, infact I will try and find it for you.
    talk talk have broken their terms and condtions.
    that helps a bit
    :p

8. timmy222

Wise Guy

here u go

Broadband Service Provider Migration Code of Practice they were breaking the rules as point 5 states

5. The LSP must specify how customers can contact it to request a MAC (to include phone,
    email and letter as a minimum). If the customer contacts the LSP in an approved way, the
    LSP must respond in writing (letter or email) with the MAC, or reason for its non-issue,
    within 5 working days of receipt of the customer’s request. If a MAC is issued, its
    validity period will start on the date of despatch of the written migration authorisation.
    Except that, if the customer contacts the LSP by phone, the MAC may be issued
    immediately,
    in which case the validity period starts at the time it is issued, and the LSP
    is not obliged to provide additional written confirmation. The LSP must remind the
    customer of the MAC if requested by the customer.

9. tolien

Caporegime

Er, so ignore the threads that are particularly old?

Er if you say so. Nice job ignoring the other two points though.

Wrong. MACs a) are voluntary and b) that code of conduct only applies if TalkTalk signed up to it (and they didn't).
    For a complete collection of the Broadband migration Code of Practise, including signatories, look here

10. Bin Boy

Gangster

hi,

I would say nildram, there good for jolts servers.

11. timmy222

Wise Guy

Well it worked a treat with talk talk

I think Best go to bed, I am tierd and cranky,sorry tolien if i offended, your are a first rate dude.
    My apologies ;)

Last edited: 2 May 2006
  12. tolien

Caporegime

Hm, that wasn't meant to happen. Oh well.

Says it all about TT that they swallowed it.
    Doesn't stop them chasing for money afterwards either (but of course you knew that)...

13. timmy222

Wise Guy

Lol

yer , for years after in all )
    :D

14. CSA

Wise Guy

Multiplay.co.uk do their own DSL now , ment to be very good for connecting to their game servers

www.multiplaydsl.net

15. AtreuS

Soldato

Zen are very good for low pings.

Well they always have been upto now... now its all on Max dsl i dunno how things are going. Im still on the old style 2MB and i aint shifting!