Best Multi-use Headphones

Soldato
Firstly thanks to everyone who helped educate me on high end headphones and open-back headphones for PC gaming. I think I'll probably buy a pair of those once I actually have a use-situation for them as I honestly don't see myself using headphones over my home surround system for now. When I get a monitor, I'll invest in sound.

I need headphones please for:
1. Travelling with my Nintendo Switch
2. IPAD use - on trains, etc.
3. Laptop use
4. IPHONE use
5. Gym *This is not mandatory
6. Nice large soundstage with a good feeling of surround sound
7. Noise cancellation

Right now I'm using airpods, which are okay in the gym but sadly they fall out of my ears. The lack of noise cancelling means I need to use them at 100% volume which I don't like doing long term.

My question is are there any solid headphones with great sound which ideally will work wirelessly for use with my iphone and ipad (that have an optional aux cable in emergencies or for better sound) and noise cancellation which I could wear to the gym?

I know I'm asking for a LOT here and there will likely be compromises. So far I've only read about the Sony MX3s and the Bose Comforts...

Any opinions please from a more educated audiophile perspective?

Man of Honour
You aren't really going to get 6 with portable headphones that have any degree of noise isolation i.e. closed back without spending £LOL money.

You can find some ear buds that have a decent wide soundstage at a slight cost in audio fidelity but then you have the problems of whether they stay in for you and lesser isolation.

Soldato
One thing to keep in mind is that in all of Nintendo's geniuses, they have decide not to have support for Bluetooth audio devices (despite the Switch has Bluetooth support), so you MUST use wired earphone or headphone, or get a Switch compatible 3rd party USB Bluetooth audio transmitter in order to use Bluetooth audio devices.

Soldato
OP
You aren't really going to get 6 with portable headphones that have any degree of noise isolation i.e. closed back without spending £LOL money.

You can find some ear buds that have a decent wide soundstage at a slight cost in audio fidelity but then you have the problems of whether they stay in for you and lesser isolation.

Damn, if I forfeit number 6, what would be my options?

Soldato
Sennheiser HD25 fit most of the categories. Certainly not 6 and 5 could be debatable. I guess 6 depends on whether earphones would be preferable for gym use.

Light, portable, tough, easy to drive and they isolate noise really well. A lot cheaper than buying headphones with decent active noise cancelling.

Soldato
Hi,

I went to Richer Sounds and the sales guy I spoke to who was a gym goer recommended for my budget (max £100) the Optoma Nuforce BE Sport4's. (He uses the Sport 3's) And I am very pleased with them. Excellent Isolation and decent sound quality once you faff with the correct fitting with the multiple options of in ear buds and various ear tips. They do take 10 mins to find the best fit. 10 hr battery life, 2 hours battery from 10 mins charge, sweat and water resistant. I still find though that as these arent true 'wireless' like your earpods, the wire can grip on a sweaty neck and pull slightly. They work upto 15m from my phone. Worth considering.

I found this site helpful also; https://www.rtings.com/headphones

Soldato
OP
Sennheiser HD25 fit most of the categories. Certainly not 6 and 5 could be debatable. I guess 6 depends on whether earphones would be preferable for gym use.

Light, portable, tough, easy to drive and they isolate noise really well. A lot cheaper than buying headphones with decent active noise cancelling.

I need wireless for my iphone for the Gym.

Looking around, I'm thinking of the Bose QC35s or Sony XM3s.. ?

Soldato
I need wireless for my iphone for the Gym.

Looking around, I'm thinking of the Bose QC35s or Sony XM3s.. ?
Those headphones are good for commune, but surely you wouldn't want to wear those while working out in gym? The burden of the weight (and the risk of falling off smashing to pieces) and the over-ear ear cups cover the entire ears and trapping the heat and your sweat can't be a pleasant experience.

You should really look at Bluetooth earbuds for that usage instead.

Soldato
Good advice. No idea what the QC35 etc weigh, but there is a chance they'll come off your head depending on what you are doing, and if they break, that is an expensive breakage. Bluetooth earphones surely sound like the best option.

Soldato
OP
So I did a bit of research.

So far I've got through:

Taotronics 406 - noise cancelling and decent sound for 65 quit... weirdly roomy sound stage but everything else was not up to scratch. Especially sound quality.

Sennheiser 4.40 - i really liked them but they were totally uncomfortable and therefore unsuitable for a long gym session. Sound signature was really nice, especially the bass but the soundstage width was non existent sadly. It seemed very very crammed. Also 99% of my music and media is from my iPad or iPhone portabley, and the headphones lack AAC support. Bit of a deal breaker.

I'm now about to order the Sony CH700s to give them a go... if they suck, I will try the Sony 900s (the design looks a bit bulky, and according to RTINGs, it has a average soundstage whilst the CH700s have a much better one).

Also given they're gym headphones I thought going for the cheaper pair might be better in regards to funding the purchase of my next set for when I break them.

Soldato
OP
To anyone who had the same predicament as me,

for £300, you can grab the QC35 and XMC1000-3x... the QC35 seems like a rip off without the proper high end codec support, despite its awesome noise cancelling. the XM3s are bulky but nice, paying that much for touch controls which might play up in the cold, and single device connect is a bit annoying.

Ultimately the £300 price range I decided to not delve into because they are gym headphones and portable headphones which I will most likely destroy at some point due to accidental damage or sweat damage.

Aiming at the £200 range, we have the Sennheiser 4.50s and the Sony Hear on 2s. The Hear on 2s are a bit bulking at around 300g. Otherwise they are a great buy. Which makes me a bit sceptical about them is the fact they were released a long time ago and due a refresh. The Sennheiser 4.50s have a very uncomfortable cup.

Now we go to the £100 range.
Three headphones stood out to me from reviews:

1. Sennheiser 4.50s (80£)
2. Taotronics BH 046 (80£)
3. Sony CN700s (100£)

The Taoatronics I first demo-ed. They are just very very inferior to the other two headphones. the ANC is nice, sure, but nothing really amazing. The bass is nice but muddy and really it just seems to distort everything to make it feel like you're in a room. The ANC turns this overpowered bass even higher leaving me with a really rubbish performance. Tehy are also VERY bulky and heavy, so I struggle to see the real benefit to them over the other two headphones.

Sennheisers have two flaws: lack of AAC, poor comfort. They have great passive noise isolation although the pressure applied to your ears is very uncomfortable. The passive noise cancellation rivals the ANC of the taotronics somehow. For the gym, they're just not possible to be worn for more than 45 minutes BUT they're great for staying on your head. Ultimately they had the superior audio quality of taotronics, to the extent I thought this is as good as it gets for bluetooth audio. However the soundstage and sound is VERY cramped. Both other headsets had a better soundstage. Imaging is fine but separation of WHERE instruments or people are is a bit meh. Its like a REALLY REALLY clear apple earbud. I felt my airpods were probably a bit more open tbh. They also have this VERY annoying BEEP with EVERYTHING you do. From changing volume to sound. although its not a dealbreaker, the Captune app does nothing to help you with these headphones as they can't be tuned. It came with some crap bag which is okay. They fold so ergonomically superior to the Sony's. They also look better than the Sonys. The controls are all cramped to one headphone which is inferior to the Sonys.

Then I tried the Sony CN700s. They are IMO the BEST in-class for this price range and possibly even one of the best bluetooth headphones PERIOD if you value soundstage. The soundstage on these headphones, partly due to the amazingly open ear-cup design is AMAZING. If anyone can find a headphone with a better sound stage which is bluetooth, I'd be interested to hear. Even on RTINGS site, soundstage seems the best on these. The bass is WAY better than the Sennheiser's bass. Its more present, its more detailed. Honestly everything just seems better from an audio quality perspective. The ear cups are VERY comfortable. However, the whole headset does seem less secure than the Sennheier's on your head. I have a small head but they seem good for lifting, squatting, rows and possibly maybe jogging. Don't think they're suitable for athletic type box jumps or sprints just yet though but I will test. They have AAC support for iphone/ipad users, awesome Sony tech via the headphones app to customise the sound but I LOVE the default sound signature.

At £100, I feel they can still be slightly classed as disposable.

For the negatives:

1. Less secure on head
2. Passive noise isolation less than the Sennheisers but they have ANC which is medicore but effective as the passive from the Senns or better in some use-cases
3. No Bag or case .. honestly taking the **** here sony.

In terms of comfort of the ear cups due to their huge size, awesome soundstage, great audio quality, awesome bass and £100 price tag... I'm keeping these and calling it a day. I think its hard to really beat a detailed soundstage WITH a detailed lapping bass which these have.

Back
Top Bottom