Best oil for Oak worktops

Associate
On my last wooden worktops i used danish oil but i wasn't impressed with how easily it stained.

Would like the finish to be matt and leave wood looking natural.

Ive been looking at Manns top oil, osmo oil and holzol oil.

Also what is everyone method of applying the oil, I used lint free cloth previous but have seen people recommend brushes?

Associate
I use the Ikea stuff. Not a huge fan, although I probably should be oiling it more often.

For application, I have tried brush, cloth, and sponge. Sponge was the best, by far.

Soldato
Osmo Polyx-Oil, semi-matt. Matt will leave a totally flat finish if that's your thing.

2-3 coats. De-nib between applications with a pad.

Last edited:
Soldato
Osmo Polyx-Oil, semi-matt. Matt will leave a totally flat finish if that's your thing.

2-3 coats. De-nib between applications with a pad.

would you do that on a worktop? I've just done it on a floor and wondered about using it for my oak worktops - at the moment I've done a good few layers of oil, wasn't sure if the osmo stuff was a bit too "chemically" for worktops!

Soldato
would you do that on a worktop? I've just done it on a floor and wondered about using it for my oak worktops - at the moment I've done a good few layers of oil, wasn't sure if the osmo stuff was a bit too "chemically" for worktops!

I have. Is fine. The only observation is that 3 coats takes away the 'feel' of the wood grain, and it looks a little less natural. But then it's offering excellent protection. I'd rather have that, than black marks all over my Oak :).

Soldato
Osmo worktop oil, slightly harder to apply, but leaves a much more durable finish and wont stain. Also looks far better and doenst yellow anywhere near as much, especially if you go for the version with white pigment added.

Danish oil is crap imo.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the feedback. As I have 6 meters of oak worktops and 3 meters of Oak shelves the only financially viable option for me was Danish oil.

Couple of further questions:

After 3/4 coats of Danish oil could I finish the work tops with single coat of a top oil like osmo/manns/treatex oil?

Should I be oiling both sides of the worktops/shelves.

Tony

Soldato
Surely you need to use mineral oil for food prep surfaces? That's what I always use on the chopping boards I make finished with a 4:1 ratio mineral oil and beeswax melted in a pan and applied hot then buffed off

Soldato
Just the thread I was after.. My 3m oak worktop is arriving today so am in the market for some oil! Looks like I'll go with Osmo oil as it seems to be well recommended.

Back
Top Bottom