1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best OS for BOINC - Windows 7/10 or Ubuntu?

Discussion in 'Team OcUK Distributed Computing Projects' started by MarcLister, Jul 4, 2018.

1. MarcLister

Capodecina

I've just bought a CPU/Mobo/RAM combo from mcc49 on the OcUK members' market with the intention of getting a case, a PSU and an SSD to put together a cheap BOINC PC.

Which OS would be a better bet for running the PC and BOINC? Windows 7/10 or Ubuntu?

2. PDW

Wise Guy

Why waste money on a case :p

Which OS depends on the project, some are better on Windows, some are better on Ubuntu (linux). Ubuntu is probably better in general, do you have a project in mind ?
    Just go dual boot.

I don't have any Win 10 machines, but see a lot of problems caused by updates and reboots reported so would suggest Win 7 over Win 10.

3. MarcLister

Capodecina

Haha, had a feeling someone would say that about a case!

Going to be running SETI. If I go Windows I'll most likely go W7.

4. PDW

Wise Guy

For that I'd go Win 7 :)

5. K Olley

Associate

Ubuntu, With optimised apps, Look in "number crunching", lot of clues in "new computer on the way".

6. scole250

Associate

If it's a dedicated crunching rig, dual boot is the only way to go.

7. MarcLister

Capodecina

The PC keeps freezing every so often and the only way to get it going again is to restart it. I've checked the power settings and the PC is not set to go to sleep or turn the HDD off.

It just stops. I've checked it now and it is frozen on the SETI screensaver. I've taken the HDMI, Ethernet, USB keyboard and mouse leads out and replugged them but the system still doesn't respond.

Any ideas what might be causing this before I create a thread in General Hardware?

8. PiKe

Capodecina

Power supply?

9. MarcLister

Capodecina

Corsair VS 550. New.

10. Biffa

Man of Honour

Don't run the screensaver is my advice

11. MarcLister

Capodecina

Does the screensaver slow the PC down too much by taking up resources from the CPU?

12. Matzo

Gangster

Go for Windows Server if you don't fancy Linux instead of Windows 7/10 as it doesn't have all the graphical enhancements and uses fewer resources.

Install BOINC as a service. As already mentioned don't bother with the screensaver.