Best OS for BOINC - Windows 7/10 or Ubuntu?

Soldato
I've just bought a CPU/Mobo/RAM combo from mcc49 on the OcUK members' market with the intention of getting a case, a PSU and an SSD to put together a cheap BOINC PC.

Which OS would be a better bet for running the PC and BOINC? Windows 7/10 or Ubuntu?

PDW

PDW

Associate
Why waste money on a case :p

Which OS depends on the project, some are better on Windows, some are better on Ubuntu (linux). Ubuntu is probably better in general, do you have a project in mind ?
Just go dual boot.

I don't have any Win 10 machines, but see a lot of problems caused by updates and reboots reported so would suggest Win 7 over Win 10.

Soldato
OP
The PC keeps freezing every so often and the only way to get it going again is to restart it. I've checked the power settings and the PC is not set to go to sleep or turn the HDD off.

It just stops. I've checked it now and it is frozen on the SETI screensaver. I've taken the HDMI, Ethernet, USB keyboard and mouse leads out and replugged them but the system still doesn't respond.

Any ideas what might be causing this before I create a thread in General Hardware?

Associate
Go for Windows Server if you don't fancy Linux instead of Windows 7/10 as it doesn't have all the graphical enhancements and uses fewer resources.

Install BOINC as a service. As already mentioned don't bother with the screensaver.

Back
Top Bottom