Best phone out at the moment.

Soldato
Hi there,

Ready to upgrade my phone and wanted peoples views on if it is worth upgrading at the moment (is there anything decent around the corner) and if it is worth upgrading at the mo, which handset to get.

I'm on Orange, been with them 3 years and currently have an N95.

Thanks.

Soldato
The Sony C905 pretty much has it all, 8 MP Camera, Wi-Fi, GPS, Xenon Flash.. and then there's the Media player which makes the stored music sound nice.

Although TBH, upgrading from an N95 atm to the 905 would be a small upgrade unless you'd use all those features.

Associate
Which is best is very much a subjective question.

Best for me is the Touch Pro. Others might say the Touch HD, iPhone, Blackberry, or some offering from Nokia, SE etc.

It all depends what you want out of your phone and how much your willing to pay.

Soldato
In my experience as a J2ME developer, Nokia and SE are the ones that give us the least hassle.

I would agree with the C905 suggestion, but it is pretty heavy for its size.

Associate
I've got the 905. Afew cautious words.
If you're going vodaf***, then beware that they have fubared the firmware royally. List of things that dont work

1) youtube via 2g/3g/wap. Only works via wifi
2) Wifi sometimes doesnt work
3) Battery issues on some
4) there are 3, yes THREE, quick launch buttons to LIVE!, which isnt a problem if you like live, but these are hardcoded and you cant change it, very irritating
5) GPS is good, only if there is SOFTWARE, they included find and go, which DOESNT work, and googlemaps is an old version which you cannot upgrade
6)geotagging in photos dont work
Goto the voda forums to see the full list of problems... grrr

Once they patch it, then it'll be awesome, until then its pretty poor...

Soldato
My last phone was an N95 8GB.

Well, I got a Blackberry Storm last week - although it had a lot of plus points, it also had it's share of bad things. I liked typing, the screen was lovely, battery life was excellent (although many complained about it, I had one charge last three days) and I found it easy to use. It's camera was awful (I mean going back three upgrades awful) and the software was buggy and nearly made me have to restore my system. Roxio Media Manager is the work of the devil. So yesterday I spent 70 minutes on the phone to Vodafone and this morning....

....my N96 arrived. I thought to myself, it's an upgraded N95, basically - how could it possibly be a bad phone. Well, Nokia have managed to produce a very buggy phone - whether that is due to the Vodafone firmware or just the phone itself, I cannot tell. Opening the camera can take up to two minutes (and even then it just discarded a photo I took), I'm still trying to access a text message that came through half an hour ago and wifi will not work, no matter what I try - even disabling security on my router. That said, when it is working smoothly, it's quick and the screen is lovely, I like the interface too. The phone itself is really nice to hold and the slide is something I think Nokia have struggled with for years - but now they have it right - it's smooth and firm. Oo-er.

So, this phone is going back as well. I'm staying with my N95 8GB for a little while longer, I think. It doesn't give me any hassle and, apart from a tiny wiggle in the slide, has served me remarkably well over the last 12 months.

*gives his N95 8GB a cuddle*

Soldato
OP
I have had my fair share of Sony Ericssons.

Had a T68i,T610,K700i,K750i,K800i, 2x W910i and 2x K850i.

They were great until the W910i and K850i. The W910i used to hang and freeze constantly. Had two handsets from Orange and they were poor. I hated it so sold it on ebay.

The K850i was even worse. The shutter on both of my handsets packed up. 5mp camera.......when the shutter decided to wake up. The firmware on the K850i was also soooo buggy and slow. I sold that one and got myself an N95.

The N95, apart from a few build quality issues has been superb. The battery life is poor but I charge my phone every night so isn't really an issue.

I had a Samsung D500 and that was a good phone. Still miss it, it was a faultless phone. Hence why I was strongly considering the Pixon.

Video quality is important, I like to capture the odd funny moments whilst out and about, this is where the N95 is superb!

I had problems with my K750i and K800i in terms of build quality. The joysticks being the main problems yet still rely on my K800i at times.

In terms of what I want from a phone..........a damn good camera including video quality, a high resolution screen and good web browser.

I don't listen to songs on my phone or need an organiser facillity.

How much do I want to pay? I'm a high spender every month so I don't expect to pay for any handset really. Orange usually give me a good deal!

Last edited:
Soldato
no issues like that with my n96. the camera works quickly and the messages all display nice and fast. wifi works all the time i need it to.
Looks like I was just unlucky then. I've always had faultless handsets apart from issues I caused myself (dropped in a pint, or dropped from a height, etc...) so it was bound to catch up with me at some point! However, with all the hassle I've had in the last week, I really can't be bothered to get a replacement (especially seeing how little a difference it is in reality), so it's back to my N95 8GB.

One question - does your phone have any branding? I've heard the Vodafone branding is particularly unpleasant.

Caporegime
my t-mob one is rather light on branding. the only things that give it away are the w'n'w shortcut which you can change and a small t-mobile logo on the back of the phone. other than that, you wouldnt really know it was bundled.

Soldato
OP
Update.

I have been offered a Pixon or C905 by Orange with 600 mins & Unlimited Texts for £25 a month.

Any good?

Phones4U are doing the Pixon, 600 mins & Unlimited Texts with half price line rental which works out @ £25.22 a month.

Dialaphone are doing the C905 on 02 with 600 mins & Unlimited texts for £26.25 a month.

Should I push harder?

Back
Top Bottom