Best phone under £100

Soldato
I'm looking for a new phone. My ***** Nokia is terrible. I can't even make out what people are saying on the phone, it's distorted and suffers from interference.

All I need it to do is phone, txt and that's pretty much it. However if it can do more then great.

I'd quite like it to be easy to txt, intuitive interface and have a colour screen... I don't need MP3, Facebook, Radio. Bluetooth would be nice.

I realise I don't require a lot. However I don't like cheap looking or plasticy £10 phones.

Cheers for any recommendations.

Soldato
OP
Looks a bit bulky and not very attractive to be honest. I don't use Facebook or Twitter, so it's really irrelevant for me. It would also just annoy me if I couldn't delete the icon.

However the battery life sounds alright.

Associate
I'd call my Nokia 1616 cheap, but certainly not bad to look at, hold or use. Small enough, powerful vibrate and the ringer isn't a cheap speaker, it's a classic shrill beeper-style so you can hear it on a busy road or with your headphones on. Battery holds for 2 weeks+ without a recharge, £20 from Virgin (includes the £10 top up).

Associate
Looks a bit bulky and not very attractive to be honest. I don't use Facebook or Twitter, so it's really irrelevant for me. It would also just annoy me if I couldn't delete the icon.

However the battery life sounds alright.

there's no icon, you can choose what widgets appear on the left of the home screen or even on the home screen it self.
I only have a digital world clock which tells me the time in other countries of interest.
Attractive nowadays means a larger screen with no bezel and basically, touchscreen. I know it's not that, but for practicality, if you only want basic stuff, it crashes everything out there that i've seen at least.
Its not that bad. My main phone is a W995, but since I got this, it's been the phone I always have in my pocket.
Also, not bulky at all, very very light and dimensions are OK.

Also comes with Sony Ericsson's Mp3 player, Walkman, which I find quite useful, and you can microSD as well.

Man of Honour
The San Francisco isn't a good suggestion. I don't think the OP cares about smartphone features at all.

Associate
The San Francisco isn't a good suggestion. I don't think the OP cares about smartphone features at all.

After all the battery is pants from out of the box i found.

Best of with a function/physical phone (as robbo has basically said) and the SE and the others will acheive this. And will offer more battery life than is ever seen on the SanFran :).

Soldato
OP

Correct. I will never use MP3, Facebook... anything.

It just needs to be clear when using the telephone, txting and look attractive (which doesn't necessarily mean touch screen with no bezels)

I like the small clamshells, they're attractive and practical. IMO.

Soldato
OP
My current phone is a Nokia something something. £35 or so. It's suffering all these issues and I don't like having to type the persons name in that I want to send a txt too. I like to be able to just scroll through and select.

I like all other makes and models however. If the Nokia wasn't a pile of tosh I'd be quite happy with it.

Man of Honour
Nokia phones are generally fairly high quality and reliable.

I don't know a massive amount about 'old school' phones, but I can have a look around. What make do you prefer?

Soldato
OP
Nokia phones are generally fairly high quality and reliable.

I don't know a massive amount about 'old school' phones, but I can have a look around. What make do you prefer?

I used to have a Samsung E900 and loved it!

I've had Nokias in the past and they're generally alright, never played with a high end one though.

I had an LG Arena (KM900) and it's pretty terrible! So that put me off LG.

erm... thinking back, that's all my phones really. Nokia, Samsung and LG.

Man of Honour
There are so many! :(

Best thing to do is, look around at ones you like (on various websites like The Carphone Warehouse, etc), then read the review of it on here - http://www.gsmarena.com/ :)

That Nokia 6730 Tim suggested looks a good shout though I suppose.

Soldato
OP
I'm liking the:

Samsung E1150i
Samsung S3100
Samsung S3550

Edit. I'm beginning to settle on the S3100. It resembles my old E900 slidey phone which I loved. It get's good reviews also.

I would like to use my current o2 PAYG sim. What's the best way to go about it. Buy an unlocked version? Buy an o2? A lot of people seem to require you buy a topup. Which I obviously don't want or need.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom