Best place to sell/advertise car online

Soldato
Where's the best place to place a car ad online? I've put it on gumtree and facebook and had no interest apart from accident claim calls. I tried to sell a bike on AT a few years ago and got no interest and sold it via gumtree within a few days. Is ebay motors the new favourite?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I think that this depends on the market for your car.

I sold a couple of old Vauxhalls recently, so low end market, and found Gumtree to be absolutely excellent. Even the really old one of the two sold same day, guy turned up and paid cash. Very painless, and free.

For a more valuable car, i would use Autotrader.

Soldato
OP
It a Hyundai i20 worth around £2k. I've tried to price it reasonably, certainly less than what dealers are selling them for but around the same as private sellers.

Soldato
Have you tried WBAC as sometimes it's the easiest stressfree option, just make sure you're prepared for the absolute lowest offer you could expect?

Soldato
OP
You will get the most traction for that type of car on Autotrader I reckon.

Thanks, that's what I am beginning think.
Have you tried WBAC as sometimes it's the easiest stressfree option, just make sure you're prepared for the absolute lowest offer you could expect?
They are a lot less than whats being offered on AT and ebay. Though thats if the ones on AT and ebay are actually selling!

Soldato
Autotrader is the best way. It is the most expensive, though. I've never had any luck whatsoever selling anything on Gumtree. The only enquiries I've had were received by the time I had sold the item elsewhere.

Last year I sold my girlfriend's car - a Toyota Auris. I initially listed it on Gumtree, PH, and eBay classifieds and didn't get much interest at all. Certainly no viewings. So I thought "sod it" and paid for 2 weeks on Autotrader. It sold 2 days later. They know they can charge what they do for an advert because it is the first place most people look when shopping for a new car.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Their business model is to buy cars and then bulk shift them through BCA. Ie, they make their margin between their buy price and the BCA price, absorbing all BCA fees, transport and administration costs. Make of that what you will.

Soldato

Usually they will give a good price, then when you actually take it for inspection they knock £100s off for things like stone chips. So a bit rubbish.

Soldato
Usually they will give a good price, then when you actually take it for inspection they knock £100s off for things like stone chips. So a bit rubbish.

Yet more misinformation spouted by Nasher.

They don't do this by default. There is an opportunity to accurately describe the car's condition when requesting a quote. If the car matches this description then they'll give you what their website offered. The amount they offer is typically less than you could sell the car privately for, and they don't hide this. They advertise it on the convenience factor. How much less depends on the car - how new it is, how popular it will be to sell on or auction, etc.

Soldato

They don't do this by default. There is an opportunity to accurately describe the car's condition when requesting a quote. If the car matches this description then they'll give you what their website offered. The amount they offer is typically less than you could sell the car privately for, and they don't hide this. They advertise it on the convenience factor. How much less depends on the car - how new it is, how popular it will be to sell on or auction, etc.

Exactly, describe the cars condition properly instead of trying to cover up the fact it's a battered wreck and you'll find they'll pay what's agreed, when saying "paintworks mint innit gov!" while half the bonnet is covered in stone chips then don't be surprised when they want to knock the cost of repair off the offered amount.

I know a couple of people who've sold to them and they've been upfront and honest with everything regarding the cars condition and they've been pleasantly surprised with what WBAC have given them, it's a very easy way to shift a car quickly if you require it.

Soldato

This is true but the link to add an accurate description could and should be made much clearer.

My boss got a quote for £960 on a company runaround and sent me down there. We got as low as £80 after they looked at it :D They did up it to £400 though by tapping randomly on his calculator. That car was actually in pretty decent condition for a 9 year old 160k motor though.

Adding every mark and stone chip (plus the accurate remaining MOT) I too got £80 on the website!

Soldato

Well that is exactly what they did to my sister only last week with minor (expected for car's age) stone chips, as well as a few others I know. So...

Soldato
I sold my last car to them and got the adjusted price with little hassle, as above you just need to be accurate and realistic in your damage assessment.

It'll still be less than you can achieve privately obviously or their model just wouldn't work

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I sold my last car to them and got the adjusted price with little hassle, as above you just need to be accurate and realistic in your damage assessment.

It'll still be less than you can achieve privately obviously or their model just wouldn't work
Its not just less than private, it is less than auction and all of their overhead! The cars go through their UKCGR auction brand via BCA en masse. I don't fully understand why people are willing to use them, as the gained convenience is not that great, and definitely comes at quite a cost. That said, i am used to selling cars privately, i dont find it difficult and i am used to it. If you price realistically I have always sold everything within a few days, but i never chase a top price.

Soldato
OP
Sold! First person to contact me took it. Had it on for £2150, knocked £50 off.

Only bummer, did the paper work, handed over the cash. I went to open the door and broke the passenger door handle off! So gave them £100 back.

Back
Top Bottom