1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

Best possible card for a 500W Corsair builder series powered machine.

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Cal_G, 3 Dec 2014.

1. Cal_G

Gangster

Can't remember the exact spec as I built it around this time last year for a mate. Guessing a 4670k, 8GB, one HDD. Currently running a 7750 but looking to upgrade to best card the PSU can handle.

Thanks for any input.

2. ShivP

Soldato

Any budget? Even a GTX 970/980 will run on that

3. Cal_G

Gangster

Around £250. Thanks for the reply.

4. ShivP

Soldato

5. Neil79

Caporegime

A 970 is more likely to whine with a Corsair PSU going by forum threads anyway

6. Kirby Wurm

Wise Guy

That may be the case but while troubleshooting to find out whether my GTX 780 is the component having issues I switched from an Antec Truepower New to my wife's Corsair CX750 and coil whine is heavily reduced and virtually unnoticeable. Luck of the draw perhaps? Either way the 970 is the best choice at that budget (or any to be perfectly honest).

7. jonnyGURU

Associate

Depends on if that whine is coming from the graphics card or the PSU itself.

8. r7slayer

Mobster

ohh not another guy blaming the PSU instead of the nvidia graphics card...

I'm sure if his PSU is going to whine and be notiable it would of done it by now. It will be 970 that whines but may be because of the corsair and 970 combo.

@ OP just avoid the MSI versions as these seem to be the main offenders when it comes to the coil whine!

9. Cal_G

Gangster