Best Premium Android Tablet - 8" Screen

Soldato
As title, what is the best android tablet available right now in the 8" screen size band? I've got a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 and am giving it to my young daughter for watching her cartoons. The S2 is actually excellent, and I'm giving it to her as it's so light weight and her current budget tablet (Kindle Fire Kids) is horrendous. So it's a kind of forced upgrade.

I've looked at the S3 however it seems to get mixed reviews albeit mostly good reviews. I'm also reading that the tablet market is on the wane as basically most people don't want one anymore as they use their phones instead. I don't fit that category as I like a middle sized phone, currently the Pixel.

There's no budget here, they cost what they cost. Anyone bought something recently that's impressed them?

Soldato
The Tab S3 seems to be the best option if you want an 8" screen, I have an 8" Tab S2 myself, is a great tablet.

The Asus ZenPad looks a bit cheap, the LG doesn't seem better than the S2, would you consider a 10" instead?

Associate
Premium android tablets have been on the decline lately let alone an 8" one. The only ones I can think of are the Pixel C, Tab S3 and the more affordable Asus Zenpad 3s 10.

Edit: I have a Tab S3 myself so let me know if you want to know anything specific about it.

Soldato
OP
@bimmerboii I've just given up my S2 so I'm pretty sure the S3 would be perfect. I just feel it may have more than I need which takes it into that £500+ price bracket. I don't mind paying for quality, but it's got to be something I need.

Whilst researching there, I just noticed that the new iPad (9.7") is really competitive in pricing at £339 from Apple. I do prefer Android, but maybe I shouldn't be overlooking them?

The shortlist at the moment seems to be:
  • New iPad 9.7" - £339
  • Samsung S3 9.7" - £599
  • iPad Pro 9.7" - £549
Amazingly, Apple is offering more choice at a better price. I can't believe I just said that!

Associate
It's not out yet but, the Lenovo Tab 4 plus looks good (comes in 8 inch and 10 inch varieties). There are non plus versions as well but the spec isn't as good.
Expected release was sometime in May but I heard a rumour yesterday that it could now be first week of July.

Another one worth considering is the Huawei mediapad M3, although I suspect that would be an import from somewhere.

Associate
Soldato
I've got one. It's awfully. Unbelievably laggy and slow.

Once it gets things going it can play anything well but general ui experience is horrific
I've got one too which experiences some terrible lag at times, so much so that it almost becomes unusable then all of a sudden it springs back to life, are you using a sdcard as adoptable storage in it? I have a 200gb card in mine and thought it might be that slowing it down?

Soldato
I've got one too which experiences some terrible lag at times, so much so that it almost becomes unusable then all of a sudden it springs back to life, are you using a sdcard as adoptable storage in it? I have a 200gb card in mine and thought it might be that slowing it down?
SD card didn't really make a difference to me.

I got so annoyed after writing that post that I went and did some research - the suggestion was to flash stock firmware and do a factory reset. That took a while but has improved things a lot; I don't know if it will last but I'll monitor it. It is v irksome that you can see how good the tablet could be...

I've left the SD card out for now to try and monitor what happens

Soldato
OP
I've been out and about to see them in the flesh, and I'm torn between the iPad Pro 9.7 and the Samsung Tab S3. I've ruled out the cheaper iPad because the screen looks like it's below an inch of glass... It just doesn't look right.

I can't help feeling when I look at iPads that they just seem really dated now. The Samsung will be much more customisable and the screen looks lovely and vibrant.

@bimmerboii what's your impression of the Tab S3, value for money? Any buyer's remorse?

Associate
I've been out and about to see them in the flesh, and I'm torn between the iPad Pro 9.7 and the Samsung Tab S3. I've ruled out the cheaper iPad because the screen looks like it's below an inch of glass... It just doesn't look right.

I can't help feeling when I look at iPads that they just seem really dated now. The Samsung will be much more customisable and the screen looks lovely and vibrant.

@bimmerboii what's your impression of the Tab S3, value for money? Any buyer's remorse?

Absolutely no regrets and no buyers remorse at all. I have been waiting for a successor to my Note 10.1 2014 Edition and this device is it. The S Pen is a must have for me. I use it on a daily basis, as my notebook and scratch pad, both at home and in the office. I have a leather like folio case/stand to go with it and the Tab S3 looks the part in a professional environment. I didn't bother with the keyboard folio as I wanted/needed the S Pen more than that. And the S Pen is included for free and doesn't need any charging, unlike the Apple pencil.

I still find it on the expensive side but it is worth it in my opinion, especially if you will be utilising the S Pen. However, if you have no need for the S Pen and see no use of it, then definitely you will be paying more than what you will get.

Back
Top Bottom