1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best printer for occasional use?

Discussion in 'Printers' started by StevieP, Apr 4, 2018.

1. StevieP

Soldato

I've had various printers over the years and while they have all been OK in terms of quality etc, they have all failed seemingly through lack of use!

My current Canon has been OK but has developed a fault and I can only assume its because it doesn't get used much!

Is there a printer that is happy to stand unused for significant periods of time or do they all "dry up" after a while? (Do laser printers suffer from the same problem as inkjet for example?)

2. Schizo

Capodecina

I got one of these 2 years ago (this month actually) ricoh sp 213w wireless a4 mono laser printer and its been superb,i fired it up back in january and hadn't used it for over 6 months and it fired up straight away and gave a great print,ill never go back to a imk jet now due to the ink drying up and my lack of use for a printer.
    I am still on the toner that came with the printer.

3. StevieP

Soldato

Thanks for the reply!

So am I right in saying that a laser printer is better for infrequent use in terms of it not "clogging up"?

I only print bits and bobs - sometimes months apart - bit when I need to I don't want to be faffing about going to other peoples houses or at work!

4. JasonM

Mobster

I have a couple of the Brother mono laser printers, one I purchased 8 years ago, and a more modern version with a scanner on top.

The first I purchased is still working and it's done thousands of prints, it does not have quite the same quality now as the new one (I suspect the drum has worn a little), so I use the old one for general printing, and new one for important prints.

The only clogging issue I had was using 3rd party toner refills on the first bother printer, but this only happened when ink was low.

Best thing about Brother printers is you can put tape over a sensor on the toner refill and the ink lasts miles longer, far cheaper running then a ink jet printer.

Brother HL-2140, this is my 8 year old printer still in use.
    Brother MFC-L2700DN is my new one.

5. Minstadave

Caporegime

Laser is the way to go. No clogging problems.

We’ve got a colour Dell 1250C, great for documents, can go months without using it but no good for printing pictures. Think that’s the same for all Lasers.

6. bimbleuk

Wise Guy

As above cheap laser mono as they are at the same level as injets where it's just as cheap to buy another printer rather than replace the toner/transfer drum!

For occasional colour prints there plenty of online opitons etc.

7. jubei

Mobster

I'm in the market for a printer too and have seen two that i am trying to choose between. A samsung colour one (c430w) and a brother mono (HLL2350DW). The samsung is colour but slower, and the paper tray has to hang out which makes it a little annoying. Has a nicer design overall though. The brother is a brick but i understand that they are a reliable brand. It is also faster and prints duplex.

Its rare that we print anything to be honest, usually just return labels and statements etc so i am feeling that the colour is not a pre-req. Could even just buy a 25 quid inkjet to use now with the understanding i probably have to throw it out after lol. Worthwhile investing in the lasers?

8. StevieP

Soldato

Quite tempted for the Samsung C430W myself at that sort of price - but the price of the replacement toners is a bit scary!

Anyone got any experience of the Brother DCP1612W? - it's mono but is wireless, includes a scanner and the toners are a reasonable price!