Best RAM for AMD Zen 2?

Associate
Hi All,

Was planning on building an Intel build but have decided to hold off and go the AMD route when the new processors come out.

I am intending on making a high end build.

I am struggling to find which memory to get? as i plan to buy and use now until the CPU's are released.

Looking for 4 x 16gb.

What is the best memory i could buy?

Associate
In case you if you mean zen refresh a.k.a. ryzen 2xxx series a lot of issues with ram have been fixed but still it is not easy. Definitely on ram's manufacturer website check if ram is compatible with ryzen platform or amd's 3xx/4xx chipset series. For the best possible performance go with 3000 or 3200MHz sticks, higher speeds are mess even on top end motherboards and require a lot of fiddling to make them work at all at their rated speed so in final you need to run your expensive sticks at speed lower than rated. 4 sticks on ryzen also can be problematic, still. Unless you really need 64GB go with "just" two sticks of 16GB.

Hi All,

Was planning on building an Intel build but have decided to hold off and go the AMD route when the new processors come out.

I am struggling to find which memory to get? as i plan to buy and use now until the CPU's are released.

Looking for 4 x 16gb.

/Crystal ball time.

It's hard to say which memory will work best with the yet to be released X570 chipset / Ryzen 7/9 3xxx CPUs.
But I would take a educated guess that single rank memory with Samsung B-die ICs that work well on the current AMD chipset's will probably be your best bet.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...3200mhz-dual-channel-kit-black-my-08l-tg.html

Unfortunately you are talking about going 64Gb (4x16Gb). jesus... really?

That is more than likely going to severely limit your options on achievable timings, speed and compatibility, as well as being bloody expensive of coarse.
In that case I would definitely wait for a QVL memory list for the mobo you decide to go with before forking out that kind of cash.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi All,

Looking for 4 x 16gb.

The best memory hasn't been tested with Zen 2 yet.

Why not wait until you can buy memory that has actually been tested with Zen 2? 64Gb is a serious amount to be buying without being tested and verified it works well with Zen 2. We dont even know the best memory speed to get yet.

You clearly want the best performance so surely it's best to wait for a Zen 2 motherboad as well, as apposed to buying a Zen+ motherboard now and then BIOS patch it for Zen 2. If you're not that fussed about a proper Zen 2 motherboard then why are you fussed about good memory?

It makes sense to wait and buy a proper motherboard and proper memory, especially considering how much money you're going to spend. It would be different if you were cobbling together something cheap with 8Gb memory.

Last edited:
Associate
IMO, more than 2x8 or more than 3000 xmp is unlikely to give much in the way of benefit to 99% of use cases.
This is especially because most ram isn't the ECC ram you'd use if you're trying to build a server farm, which is the only case I'd recommend more than 2x8.
As for Ryzen, historically it hasn't played well with XMP, so probably 3000 or under stuff.

Permabanned
IMO, more than 2x8 or more than 3000 xmp is unlikely to give much in the way of benefit to 99% of use cases.
This is especially because most ram isn't the ECC ram you'd use if you're trying to build a server farm, which is the only case I'd recommend more than 2x8.
As for Ryzen, historically it hasn't played well with XMP, so probably 3000 or under stuff.
is that unless you include any of the AMD chip from the last 5 years.

Ryzen 1XXX and 2XXX have all shown if you get fast ram to run stable there is a good boost to be had from running over 3000Mhz, the only problem with your question is right now we have no info on the ryzen 3XXX range and ram support.
in you want to get some now and play it safe get any Samsung Bdie ram at around 3600Mhz, Bdie is the most stable running stuff to date on the last 2 ryzen gens of CPU, and if you get 3600mhz it will overclock like a good'en if the new line up supports faster ram

Back
Top Bottom