1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best restaurants + takeaways in York?

Discussion in 'La Cuisine' started by Flibbles, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Flibbles

Hitman

I'll be living in York for the next three years (and hopefully more) due to university so it'd be nice to know which restaurants and takeaways are the best, as there seems to be a great many of them.

In particular:

Italian and Indian restaurants
    Pizza delivery
    Indian delivery
    Pub meals
    Chippy's.

I'll probably be using the takeaways the most (being a dirty filthy student n all) but knowing which restaurants are good is nice to know anyway :cool:

Thanks in advance :)

2. Hencore

Wise Guy

My wife went to Uni at York and they always got their pizzas from Efes. It's pretty close to the Uni and obviously geared up for students.

3. Jimbeam3678

Capodecina

Im sure you will work it out. Best curry house to eat in is Viceroy.

Other good takeaways ? Surely been a student they are the cheapest ones? Keep an eye out in your SU.

Cheapest pub grub Charles XII in heslington very very popular with students I'm in there most lunchtimes for a beer!

4. Phoen1x

Hitman

Restauranti Bari in Shambles is the best Italian to my mind, it's a small bistro style place run by the same italian family since the 70's. Their carbonara di salsicce is hands down the best spaghetti dish I have ever tasted.

Kings Ransom is a very fine curry house. The Viceroy is also good as mentioned above.

5. Craig1981

Capodecina

Mojito's was nice if you fancy mexican food. The Mason Arms is a nice pub to have a meal in. Good sized portions and good quality too.

6. Beasty

Wise Guy

Efes are a good shout for the pizzas. Very fast and lots of choice of toppings.

Charles is a nice pub.

Viceroy (Indian restraunt) as mentioned is fantastic.

Latin/Steak - Bobo Lobos

Love going to York

7. Flibbles

Hitman

Thanks for all the input folks, it's greatly appreciated! :D

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  8. Jimbeam3678

Capodecina

Half the students are back already , been the chrales this lunchtime. All the usual drinks/food offers are on.

Burger and a pint 3.99! Can§t vouch for the food mind!

9. Flibbles

Hitman

They might be the York St John students, term for me (Uni of York) starts on the 10th so expect swarms around then :p

10. Gribs

Wise Guy

When I was a student there the indian takeaway of choice was Zafs, sit down was the Garden of India, followed by some very cheap pints in the Seahorse hotel a couple of doors down. Chinese tended to be from the Golden Dragon. I just had a look on google maps to check the name of the kebab/pizza place but they appear to have built some flats there :(

Living there not as a student I prefered York spice and aways had a decent Italian at Little Italy.

11. Flibbles

Hitman

I shall have to try the Seahorse hotel Gribs; the new YUSU bar called 'The Lounge' charges a bomb considering it's supposed to be student-run!

Ta :D

12. Gribs

Wise Guy

Just find a Sam Smiths pub and it should be fairly cheap. It was £1.20 a pint when I went compared to £1.60 in the campus bars. Old Goodricke bar (James now?) had the best atmosphere then and a very dodgy jukebox. The Wellington inn on Alma street was another good old fashioned boozer that felt like you were sitting in someones living room.

13. Jimbeam3678

Capodecina

St johns is miles away , they drink at key stones ;)

But no seriously Charles is the cheapest pub near york uni if your staying on campus.

Yorks a good city with a very good bus service into the city centre. If your in charles on a lunchtime you'll no doubt see me :D

14. Flibbles

Hitman

Yeah I'm staying on campus so no doubt I'll be in there :D

I love York already and I've only spent a couple of hours exploring it. It's certainly different to Stoke that's for sure :p I'll definitely dedicate some time in freshers week to exploring it a little more! I'm quite the history buff as well (studying Archaeology in fact) so York's history fascinates me.

15. Beasty

Wise Guy

It's probably my fav place in the UK, enjoy! If you find any hidden treasures let us know.

16. Craig1981

Capodecina

It doesnt do food, but if you fancy a drink theres a nice cocktail bar called Borra Borra. Got a nice selection of cocktails available and reasonably priced :)